The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who don't know what they are doing...

Chris Wilson

Now I see why you talked me out of big singles last year, and why you've seen so many go "bang".

Only if you try to cut corners. I love my car with the single on it, and hate the sequentials. I'd like to think mine was done properly, without cutting corners, and the only problems I've ever had were self-inflicted ones that are regardless of turbo type/quantity... 2 years and counting :D

You felt sorry for him and told him to 'go forth...' love it!

Now I see why you talked me out of big singles last year, and why you've seen so many go "bang".

That sounds a bit harsh, maybe unintentionally? I did what I could pulled some strings to get him transported away, and charged him very little. Not much more I could have done really, I am not running a charity for impoversihed owners, and I didn't really like a fire in the workshop! The extinguisher will cost plenty to get re charged, and I will stand that.

In fairness I see very few singles, I have only done one convesrion myself, which was expnsive, but runs fine, so I don't see many to judge if they go bang or not. I believe some of the cheap convesrsions are far from "nice" though, technically speaking.

Glad you're ok Chris :)

(BTW I need to speak to you about having an oil change sometime soon!)

This story reminds me of my old housemate; a few years back he bled the brakes on his old Golf and fiddled about refurbishing the calipers or something. When he came to put everything back together he realised that he'd bust some o-ring near the caliper when he took it apart. It was late on a Sunday and the shops were all shut - no worries he thinks, I'll use a couple of scuba diving o-rings pushed together!

He came back from a test run saying it's all perfect! I suggested he took it down to the industrial estate and tried braking from a decent speed a few times, just to make sure. Enough heat got into the calipers to melt the o-rings, leak fluid all over the place and result in him having no brakes! He sheepishly returned to the house and ordered the correct bits the next day. Oops. :D

Wow

Thats a new one , use to have people ask me how the pads where on there cars, i would tell them you'll need them done shortly, maybe a month or 2 they pop back in and they would need pads AND disks, as they thought a meant or 2, meant 6 months... why have a car at all if you aint gonna take care of the brakes...nutters, glad your workshop was ok Chris.

Glad you're ok Chris :)

(BTW I need to speak to you about having an oil change sometime soon!)

This story reminds me of my old housemate; a few years back he bled the brakes on his old Golf and fiddled about refurbishing the calipers or something. When he came to put everything back together he realised that he'd bust some o-ring near the caliper when he took it apart. It was late on a Sunday and the shops were all shut - no worries he thinks, I'll use a couple of scuba diving o-rings pushed together!

He came back from a test run saying it's all perfect! I suggested he took it down to the industrial estate and tried braking from a decent speed a few times, just to make sure. Enough heat got into the calipers to melt the o-rings, leak fluid all over the place and result in him having no brakes! He sheepishly returned to the house and ordered the correct bits the next day. Oops. :D

lol thats something my bro would do.