The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I can get reverse with out lifting the collar?

TRD3000GT

OK,

Had my new clutch and flywheel put in last week and have had realised that I dont need to lift the collar below the gear nob to engage resverse as I did before.

Ive spoken to slow dog who says he is going to fit it this weekend but I just want to know what has happened?

Any ideas? :eek:

Someones either put the lockout plate in the wrong way round, or not put it in at all.

If you hit reverse whilst going forward it WILL go in, due to the design of the Getrag box. The results will be spectacularly expensive.

Kin ell that could have been nasty then

Mmm...nice work mate!

Very interesting to see the 'big thanks to...' posts after that one!

Have you contacted the workshop that did it for you??

:(

Yes I have contacted them and informed them about the problem they want to fix it this week but Ill just get the plate put in the right way...

There were no BIG THANKS posts... So get back in your box!

As long as it does not involve dropping the box again, Otherwise its up to them!

It's very easy to take this plate off and turn it around, you can do it from the inside of the car and would only take a few minutes!

OK I took the center console bit off and pulled up the rubber to expose the offending p[art that does not seem to have anything stopping it?

All I can see is this part with a block on each side that goes up and down but there is NOTHING there to stop it moving right at all?

Should there be something there?

:complain:

Phoenix did the job.. Its a simple and easy mistake to make and to fix...

Once i had pulled up all the gubbins around the gear lever you see a plate with 4 bolts in it and a piece of metal sticking up.. This piece of metal was on the left hand side and it was supposed to be on the right hand side..

I removed all 4 bolts twisted the metal plate around and bolted it back down. Sorted. 10 minutes work and the car is back to its old self.

:)

PMSL, oh and with sound too please !!

That's a relief, I was just thinking that they might have forgotten to put it on at all! :thumbs:

You have to twist it around like you said , I'm not sure if the plate would have gone back on with the gearbox in!

That's a relief, I was just thinking that they might have forgotten to put it on at all! :thumbs:

Not sure if the plate would have gone back on with the gearbox in!

Yea most jobs are pretty easy once you have a close look and use some common sense ;-)

They wanted me to drive 30-40 minutes to get it fixed... Forget that £20 in petrol 60 more miles on the clock and all the other problems to boot...

I prefer to fix myself :)

• 2 months later...
OK,

Had my new clutch and flywheel put in last week and have had realised that I dont need to lift the collar below the gear nob to engage resverse as I did before.

Ive spoken to slow dog who says he is going to fit it this weekend but I just want to know what has happened?

Any ideas? :eek:

Guess who had got the same problem !!! ...worst thing is I had a look last night and I cant seem to see the plate... did I just not see it, what should it look like :drown:

OHHHH ....this car gets on my tits at times !!!

Guess who had got the same problem !!! ...worst thing is I had a look last night and I cant seem to see the plate... did I just not see it, what should it look like :drown:

OHHHH ....this car gets on my tits at times !!!

You basically need to remove EVERYTHING around the gear lever till you can see out the bottom of the car down the sides of the stick.

Plastic trim, rubber boot1, rubber boot 1 and then you should see a metal plate that bolts to the area surroundung the stick..

The plate WILL if its there have an edge sticking up on the 1st and 2nd gear area.. far left of the throw..

If its there you need to unbolt the int and spin it 180 degrees so that the edge is sticking up on the drivers side.

If its not there the garage forgot to install it and its pretty dangerous :scare:

I did not mean find it like that.. and no it would NOT just drop off like that..

I meant you better get the engineers who fitted the clutch to see if its anywhere on the floor if in fact it has just been left off when the unit was reinstalled.

Best to check tonight..