The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rigidity on aero/targa supras

Guest lexxy

I did a few searches but couldn't find any constructive info on this, neither on here nor on google. i did also ask this question in my 'new members' thread but not getting any response there. So i though i might ask this in the appropriate section.

i heard the rigidity of aero's is pretty poor, hence they're almost never seen on tracks. now i'm not planning to take my future TT Aero to the tracks, but i heard the rigidity is so poor that if you would watch an aero supra driving of a pavement or over a speed bump diagonaly, you could actually see the chassis twist with your bare eyes. is that true? and what are the best options to overcome this? would a roll cage do the job? as far as that is at all possible/viable on an aero..

would love to hear some experienced aero drivers about this.

cheers

mine is the same, you get use to it, its not all that bad as people go on about, just feels a bit off thats all, handles just the same as with the roof on just with a slight shake. if you ask me the supra TT aero is a cruising machine, its why it came fitted with autobox most probably. if you want a high powered supra go hard top and manual 6speed.

I'm quite happy to drive my TT aero the same with the roof on or off. Very slowly! ;)

Only kidding. Yes it does flex a bit, but you do get used to it, and I feel very comfortable driving it at great speeds on any type of road. It feels fantastic zooming past other cars at tremendous speed with the wind in your hair. Exhilarating isn't the word. :)

As with all powerful rear wheel drive cars, just heed the road conditions in the wet, as you can easily lose control trying to keep the thing on the road! Then again, you probably wouldn't have the roof off if it was raining! :Pling:

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

There's absolutely no difference with the roof on though.

I disagree - my old one still flexed slightly with the roof on, more so than my current hard-roofed version. Think about it - 1 bolt in each corner, compared to a fully seam-welded roof panel...

I disagree - my old one still flexed slightly with the roof on, more so than my current hard-roofed version. Think about it - 1 bolt in each corner, compared to a fully seam-welded roof panel...

I've driven Garfy's hard top, and I didn't notice a difference, but then I didn't really push it (I have to say that don't I?!). He's also driven mine with the roof on, and he didn't notice a difference either, but yes what you say does sound logical, I suppose.

As an owner of both. I would say that with the roof off you can feel flex although I can still take it on a spirited drive without concern.

With the roof on there is very little flex at all. Granted there is some but nothing to write home about and I drive it as hard as my hardtop.

I would quite happily track the Aerotop and lets be honest you are going to have the roof on when you do this.

wow this forum is responsive! nice.

anyway since i'm used to skyline-rigidity (and that thing is RIGID) this may kinda be a problem for me...or at least a reason to reconsider my choice.. i believe you guys who say feeling the minor flexing isn't that much of an issue, but i can't imagine years of flexing and twisting doesn't exhaust the metal, which just ain't a pretty thought in the back of my mind when i'd be driving a 10+ year old aero TT..

i also tried to do a search on aero supras with a roll cage fitted but couldn't find anything..any ppl we know here who have that or know whether it's doable?

keeping in mind it will probaby be quite difficult to weld it to upper corner of the A-pillar since there is no roof..right?

anyway since i'm used to skyline-rigidity (and that thing is RIGID) this may kinda be a problem for me...or at least a reason to reconsider my choice.. i believe you guys who say feeling the minor flexing isn't that much of an issue, but i can't imagine years of flexing and twisting doesn't exhaust the metal, which just ain't a pretty thought in the back of my mind when i'd be driving a 10+ year old aero TT..

i also tried to do a search on aero supras with a roll cage fitted but couldn't find anything..any ppl we know here who have that or know whether it's doable?

keeping in mind it will probaby be quite difficult to weld it to upper corner of the A-pillar since there is no roof..right?

If you look over the pound (USA), most of the supras there are aeros. A lot dragged and a lot tracked.

Check out supra forums. They probably have more experiance on the subject :)

It certainly flexes with the roof off, but not enough to make you worried about driving it, Mine feels better with the roof on but still creaks a bit. But I love having the aero top.

Coming back from suprapod in a convoy of supras, sun shining, with no roof was brilliant.

If I park on my drive then try to put the roof on, it won't, It has to be moved to the road.

A stock Skyline is rigid?? You have got to be joking, they are are as floppy as hell. A Lotus Elise is rigid, for a road car. The 1970's Austin Maxi and Austin 1800 / 2200 were rigid, surprisingly. You would think a Porsche 928 might be stiff, but it's terrible. A stock none aero top MKIV isn't too gad, until you put stiff springs and bars on it and wonder why changing settings makes little difference. A MKIV aerotop is as stiff as a wet paper bag, in fact I wouldn't let the wife have a T top MR2 solely because they are so poor in a big accident. An aero top MKIV would not be my choice of car to have "big one" in! :)

The only way to effectively stiffen one a lot is to have weld in cage that forms a cross braced roof structure. If you are that worried about handling I would say it would be better and cheaper to just buy a fixed roof model myself.

ok so the opinions here start to deviate more and more from eachother...interesting :) i sense a dilemma coming up between reliability and sexyness..tough one.

so yeah to me rigidity is very important, but so is sunshine on my head. i often drive long distances and hate the feeling of 'entrapment' in a car, get a bit claustrophobic, especially in coupe's, hence i've always owned either a convertible or at least a sunroof, like my skyline has.

btw stock skylines ARE pretty stiff, at least the GTR's are. i own a GTT and yes it's stock engine wise, but it is stiffened up with various bars and braces.

but anyway to get back on topic, although i hear some very critical notes about the flexibility on (aero) supras, there seems to be little complaint about it. i guess either it's not too bad afterall, or people just don't care :D anyhow i suppose a good combination of bars, braces, and a welded cage should bring the rigidity to an at least acceptable level for sportive open road driving. gonna have a look to see what's available out there.

Edited by lexxy (see edit history)

No amount of under floor bracing is going to make an aerotop rigid, it needs a full cage to regain the loss of structure between the front and rear screens.

I was horrified how much the aero flexes, as a visual aid, here's how much mine flexed after jacking up the front on what I thought was a flat driveway. one corner was approx 1 inch lower when trying to refit the roof!

attachment.php?attachmentid=98966&stc=1&d=1253820537

PS: As you are new here you might not know Chris Wilson. He is an ex racing driver and knows his Skylines rather well, so if he says they flex then it is based on very strong personal experience :)

9Image106 (13).jpg

yeah i already kinda had that impression ;) and as i started this topic off, it doesn't exactly surprise me. so that photo..is that while the car is jacked up or after it was lowered to all fours again?

yeah i already kinda had that impression ;) and as i started this topic off, it doesn't exactly surprise me. so that photo..is that while the car is jacked up or after it was lowered to all fours again?

The photo was taken while it was still jacked up, although even after lowering the roof didn't fit, I had to back the car up and drive forward again to get it to settle back into shape!

ok that really sounds horribly wrong...what the hell man i didn't expect this from toyota. such strong blocks and internals but such a weak body? doesn/t make sense..shame, this definately is more&more keeping me from getting an aero, or maybe even a supra in general :rolleyes: