The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning the n/a

Tom

From looking on supraforums most of the guys really struggle to make 200bhp to the wheels and tbh im not sure why? I think in standard form the n/a manual will produce around 190RWHP so im not sure if its just the auto n/a guys but my prediction is that you can probably tune the n/a to around 250-270+bhp and about 220-240+bhpRWHP by doing these mods;

Manifold = 15bhp

Full exhaust system with de cat pipes= 15bhp

Cams = 5bhp

Pulleys = 3bhp

Filter = 5bhp

Chip = 10bhp

There's probably quite a few more things you can do, the above would almost hit 280bhp if the stated 220/225bhp from factory is true and I dont believe my estimates would be too far out so even a possible 250bhp could be made at the wheels which would be a whole 60bhp rwhp over stock, so is this actually possible or is the above just b/s????

Tom.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by NWS25

But that performance list would cost the extra what a TT costs over the N/A to purchase, so it's a no brainer really. IMHO of coourse.

At first I agreed with that but now not so much!:p as say you buy a 1997 6 speed n/a low mileage for 10k(seen a few at this price and lower) the equivalent TT would be 15K+, im guessing the above mods would not touch over 2K so thats at least 3k less and there's no hidden costs either such as turbo's blowing up etc so there's less to go wrong and the performance would be very similar to a stock TT, as the sz/sz-r will then be around 130kg lighter than the TT.

well ive decided i like my car and just gonna keep tuning my NA best i can. I know its a predicted extra 5BHP for having electric fan instead of Viscous... loads you can do,

Bad points:

no ABS, No tracion control

Plus points:

would have no turbo lag

I just cant afford the insurance hike to touch mine yet :(

although suppose i could do some internals

anyone have any filthy AEM pulleys lol :p

Didnt realise such a big gain from manifold, is design that restrictive on the NA??

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

Didnt realise such a big gain from manifold, is design that restrictive on the NA??

I think it must be, there were a couple of guys selling xerd headers(the US way of saying manifold) and both said they made upto 20bhp more with just this mod, and you dont hear many people replacing this, it seems like a very good bang for buck mod. I think the website was xerd.com or something, check it out in the n/a section on supraforums.

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

well ive decided i like my car and just gonna keep tuning my NA best i can. I know its a predicted extra 5BHP for having electric fan instead of Viscous... loads you can do,

Bad points:

no ABS, No tracion control

I got ABS on mine :)

Originally posted by TDRAPER

I think it must be, there were a couple of guys selling xerd headers(the US way of saying manifold) and both said they made upto 20bhp more with just this mod,

Tom

I think that you'll find that "headers" is US speak for EXHAUST manifold. Usually tubular steel and 4 into 1 with a "collector" at the bottom (where the exhaust pipe and silencers join)

AIUI they call the inlet manifold "intake manifold" or just intake

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

Tom

I think that you'll find that "headers" is US speak for EXHAUST manifold. Usually tubular steel and 4 into 1 with a "collector" at the bottom (where the exhaust pipe and silencers join)

AIUI they call the inlet manifold "intake manifold" or just intake

ahh thats what I did mean:) , whats AIUI though?:stupid:

So getting back to my original question can the n/a be tuned up a possible 250rwhp?

Originally posted by TDRAPER

So getting back to my original question can the n/a be tuned up a possible 250rwhp?

Easily? NO. Not even by optimistic US standards. 3mm HG + AEM + Fuel + Turbo + Built auto = Same power as a big single like dudes :)

It goes like this:

You don't care about power = NA

You like a fair amount of performance = TT

You want a very quick car = TT with BPU mods and maybe hybrids

You want insane HP = NA or TT with all necassary mods.

To get a NA to stock TT performance is going to need very high comp, and loads of money on valvetrain/internals. Don't even think about it.

You TT guys really do look at all this from the wrong angle sometimes. As WSB2 said, some people are happy with an NA, and want to try to tune it best they can. but to say it would cost the difference to buy a TT to tune a NA is rubbish, as if someone was going to replace that lot, Im sure it would be done over time, so the cost therefore is a lot more managable than selling the NA and finding 4-5K to go buy a TT.

Im interested to hear of other tuning methods for teh NA, now that DB isnt going ahead with teh s/c.

Someone mentioned that elctric fans produce more power than vicous, are you refering to the standard engine fan ??? And why does electric produce more power ???

EDITED: No ABS on ours either, think it became standard after face lift. Not sure if it was an option on earlier ??

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

EDITED: No ABS on ours either, think it became standard after face lift. Not sure if it was an option on earlier ??

Think you are right Ash. Its a problem for those not having it who are considering RLTC because although it can be fitted its a PITA

I also agree about the NA/TT thing, I'm getting a little bored of being told to get a TT all the time when I have a excellent example of an NA that I just wouldn't get as a TT. But I still want to mod it and enjoy its performance.

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

You TT guys really do look at all this from the wrong angle sometimes. As WSB2 said, some people are happy with an NA, and want to try to tune it best they can. but to say it would cost the difference to buy a TT to tune a NA is rubbish, as if someone was going to replace that lot, Im sure it would be done over time, so the cost therefore is a lot more managable than selling the NA and finding 4-5K to go buy a TT.

Yep well said, I knew that starting this thread people would say just get the TT but i'd personally have 280bhp n/a power than 280bhp turbo power, it would be cheaper to tune than buying the equivalent TT and the running costs and maintaining the car will still be much less.