The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this the Bulkhead Drain Hose?

Angarak

Hi Folks,

I went for a drive today to stretch the Supras legs, came back and noticed a water leak under the car (running off the cross member).

I believe I have found the source of the leak, a small rubber hose coming from the bulkhead. I have attached a pic to this post.

Can anyone confirm if this is the drian hose for the bulkhead?

The water leaking from the car did not smell of anything, nor was it hot so Im *hoping* its just a drain hose as the car has been sat outside in the rain recently and not driven that often of late.

Will be taking the black 'windscreen wiper' trim off tomorrow to investigate incase there are any blockage issues such as dead leaves, etc.

Cheers

Si

drain_hose.jpg

Ok, I dont think this is a drain hose for the bulkhead as rain water past the wipers would appear to drain via the wings and not the bulkhead.

So, Im now facing the possibility of it being Aircon related :(

Can anyone confirm if the hose is a drain for the Aircon system? I've had a look through my Supra manuals and cant see anything specific regarding the draining of the system should there be a leak.

I've followed the A/C diagnostic check and everything appears to be fine, the A/C blows hot/cold air fine, but after another drive today to get engine temps up to normal operating levels, I still have a leak from the hose highlighted in my pic.

Im pretty sure it is nothing to do with the engine.

Edit

I know the pic above is not that great, but its hard to get a good pic of it due to other obstructions. It is a small rubber pipe coming from the passenger footwell side of the bulkhead, it has a 90 degree bend in it, it comes out of the bulkhead about 3 inches before the bend and then down a 2-3 inches.

Edited by Angarak (see edit history)

The vertical white line you see is a piece of painted wood - in an attempt to highlight the pipe lol. Just at the bottom of the white wood, you can just make out a grey bit, thats the clamp holding the rubber hose to the connection on the bulkhead.

The upper red line points to where the pipe comes from the bulkhead, the lower red line shows the pipe just after it bends (in this pic, its bending to the right).

Its really hard to get a good shot of it due to the narrow space and other obstructions. :(

From memory, the stuff heading out of the engine bay from there, via the underside of the car, are brake lines, fuel feed and return pipes, and the EVAP emissions piping. It's certainly not aircon as they are solid metal pipes by the time they hit the bulkhead and are higher up.

The only drain hose I know of lives under the battery tray.

Edit - do you mean it actually enters the bulkhead through a visible grommet like the heater hoses do etc. or seems to disappear downwards as a black metal hard pipe? I'm putting my money on the EVAP hose from the charcoal canister. Still got one of those installed?

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

Im pretty sure its not the brake lines, fuel feed or return pipes. Not sure what the EVAP emissions piping is.

I'll go see if I can get a better pic of it now, I've got a slim lamp somewhere so may be able to get more light down there to highlight it better.

Here is a better pic.

Note that the pipe now bends to the left on this pic since I rotated it.

Ian:

No I didnt see your edit till now, I do still have the charcoal cannister installed. The pipe goes into the bulkhead and not down it. Could it still be related to the cannister?

pipe.jpg

Looks to me to be the A/C drain hose, it allows the condesation that occurs due to the warm humid air coming into contact with the cold surface of the Evaporator drain away.

Try going for a drive with the A/C off and see if it still happens.

Looks to me to be the A/C drain hose, it allows the condesation that occurs due to the warm humid air coming into contact with the cold surface of the Evaporator drain away.

Try going for a drive with the A/C off and see if it still happens.

Had a look earlier and can confirm this is correct :thumbs: