The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Level - concerned - engine losing/using a LOT of oil???

Pabs

Guys/Gals,

Help please!

I'm very concerned about my oil level in my car.

When I first purchased the car, within about 100 miles of owning it I had a "low oil" warning on the dash - checked, added enough oil to keep it going and then had a full oil/spark change a week later. Everything fine and dandy.

The car had a 250 mile round trip yesterday, but apart from that very little use since the oil change. I decided to check the oil level this morning when cleaning the car and according to the dipstick the oil level is VERY low - only just above the "L" mark!!!!

I'm not getting any warnings on the dash, and all warning indicators come on at start up so I know they are working. The car is running pretty well for BPU (dyno'd at about 285rwhp only a month or so ago), virtually no instances of any form of smoke, black or white, and everything else "seems" ok. No oil leaks at all - parked in a garage so I can clearly see the floor and any marks.

As I don't believe the dipstick reading, I'll be checking in an hour or so when it's cooled down to see what it says, but I'm very worried!

Can anyone explain how/why my engine could be using so much oil? Where should I be looking? What signs do I need to look out for?

Cheers folks :(

ooohh, explain please... does the switch control the oil pressure? How expensive a fix was it?

It is weird as I can't see the oil "going anywhere" if you get me - it's not coming out of the car, so it must be in there somewhere??? lol

It cost me about £12 for the new pressure switch. It's located near you air con unit. It's possible that the oil could be dropping on to something and just laying.

I only noticed mine thanks to having a fuel pressure gauge fitted, otherwise I would have wrecked the engine. When I got it up on the ramp it was a slow but fairly constant drip.

Well that's interesting, because when I had my oil change etc they also looked (didn't do anything, just looked) at my aircon system as I have issues with that too, but nobody mentioned a pool of oil or anything in the engine tray/bumper.

I don't have the ability to get the car into the air at all, so can't really check underneath. Might have to take it to a garage that can. :(

Had another check now, and oil level is slightly higher, but not much. Probably just under 1/4 from L to F.

Had a look from the top of the engine, can't see any standing oil in the bottom of the engine bay on the tray.

Done more reading on here - apparently oil level from F to L is 1 Litre, with the rest of the oil below dipstick level. That means I've lost nearly 1l in about 1500 miles. :(

Might have to get it booked in to ToyotaGT to investigate, but I am absolutely totally skint - bugger.

Does anyone know at what level the oil warning indicators come on at?

Cheers

Thanks guys... will have to get the car up on ramps then - but it's going to have to wait until I can afford ToyotaGT :(

RedM - no blue smoke at startup - I never really see any smoke at all - get condensation occassionally, but not noticed anything else.

not sure I understand your question there....

Oil was filled up at the garage, done on ramps, so yes - it was a flat surface.

It is my understanding that I have not lost 4L of oil - I have lost just under 1L. The dipstick does not go to the bottom of the sump - apparently from F -> L marks is approx 1L of oil.

Jamie - yes, I checked it was full after the change. Was very close to the F mark.

I will check it with the car stone could again one evening this week, and if I need to, I'll chuck my 1L Silkolene oil in. And then I'll have to check it regularly to see what happens.

Guest lilruthc

Hi there

I'm also having the same problem. I don't own a toyota, but was searching my problem on the internet you your posts came up. I'm in a 1.2L ford fiesta (1998) which I bought less than a year ago, and its eating oil. It's gone from full on the dipstick to empty on the dipstick in the space of two months (since its service), about 1500 miles I'd say. I have a horrible suspicion that the oil was vanishing at a similar rate before that too but that I didn't know it was happening. there is no oil leaking onto the place where I park, and no smoke at all.....

I'm so worried that is going to be an expensive job to repair, as that was the impression I was given when I asked a mechanic.

Anyone got ideas?!

have had so much trouble with the car since i bought it that I am tempted to get rid of it asap, however I am skint...

Sorry for my moan...had to get it off my chest :(

Guest lilruthc

76,000 I think (from what I can remember!)

I'm going to book it in with the garage when I collect it tomorrow (broke a coil spring in the suspension!) to have the oil problem looked at and tested, and I'll have to go from there really...

76,000 I think (from what I can remember!)

I'm going to book it in with the garage when I collect it tomorrow (broke a coil spring in the suspension!) to have the oil problem looked at and tested, and I'll have to go from there really...

Sounds like the best bet. Good luck.

The clue is in the question.

How many miles has it done? Have you had it tested for blown head gasket? Cheap and easy test.

Pete, is that the same for the Supra? How is it tested?

My car only has around 60k on the clock.

Just check it when its cold mate then go from there. If the dipstick measures basically a litre of oil then even useing that in 1500 miles isnt terrible, my brother has a brand new Corsa van and Vauxhall say useing a litre in 1000 miles is acceptable.

Is there someone local who can help you check for leaks etc?

Not really - but ToyotaGT are not too far away. My ususal garage are about 40 miles away, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered with treking there all the time.

I'll keep an eye on it, and check the oil level tonight when I get home. The car is only used at weekends so at least I don't rely on it for transport to/from work.

Oil doesn't just disappear - it must be going somewhere.

Either it's leaking, going into the water system or being burned somewhere slowly.

I once used some oil that was too thin on my Corsa many years ago getting caught up in all the hype on "the best" oil and that disappeared at an alarming rate. I used the stuff properly rated for the car and all was fine.

Thanks Pete - I'm using Silkolene Pro oil (can't remember ratings at the mo) as recommended on the threads on here for a BPU car, so I don't think that is an issue.

I totally agree with your comments - the oil has to be going somewhere - it's just finding where!

Swampy - thanks for the offer - but it'd be rude to take you up on it as you are quite far away. I'm sure I'll be able to do something about it. I think it'd be easy if I had access to a ramp, get the car up, undertray off, and take a look from there really.