The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Level - concerned - engine losing/using a LOT of oil???

Pabs

This may seem a silly question, and I didn't see anyone ask, but is the car completely level when you measure it? At home, my Supra is parked on a slight slope (passenger side usually lower than drivers by a 3-4 inches), and if I check my oil there, it usually shows up as being very low like yours (just above the L). If I park it on level ground, it reads as being just below Full. It's a pain really as it means I have to drive somewhere just to measure the oil accurately!

Also have you checked for leaks whilst the engine is running ? as it may only be leaking when hot and running so its dripping onto the road you are passing. Get out for a run then whilst hot have a look under with it still running or leave it for 5 min to see if any drips show on the ground

Yeh - admittedly that is something I'll need to do.

I've checked again on a stone-cold engine today - levels quite a lot higher than previously, so it's partly me to blame checking the oil on a part-warm engine! I think it might be using about 1/2L every 2000 miles or so, which according to fellow supra owners is not that bad.

When I bought the supra I came from a car that never used a DROP of oil - I mean that literally to! I'll just get used to it.

EDIT: Things don't look too bad now - oil level is pretty constant really. Panic over :) lol

Edited by Pabs (see edit history)