The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a cheap runabout? Sub £1k

Pabs

Hey all,

With a slight change in plan in my future directions, I may actually need a very cheap runabout to keep me mobile until the funds for the Supra have been finalised.

Ideally:

I'd love something in the VAG range, but certainly not restricted to this

Something not too slow (probably above 1.3L engine)

Cheap to insure

Cheap to tax/run

If it's easy to work on/maintain, perhaps I could tackle some of the basic jobs myself (oil changes etc) I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to this, but as the car would be cheap it wouldn't really matter if something went wrong.

Obviously I've thought about VW golfs, but is there anything else that's worth looking at? I don't really want to spend any more than £1k inc. the insurance (should hopefully be no more than about £100-150 for me)

What do you lot recommend?

I'm sorry, but I am going to upset you (and probably a few others here) by saying if you cannot decide in on sub K1 car without help, then you should not be on a car forum to start with!

Thanks CJ - :blink: - It's not that I can't decide on one, I wanted to hear other peoples comments and recommendations for reliable motors in that price range. I can make my own decision, but would prefer to make an educated decision rather than stupid one.

Personally, I actually thought that a car forum was the right place to ask! :innocent:

I've not actually owned many cars (bar my current car I've only ever owned 1 other) I don't know what's worth bothering to look at.

Thanks anyway though.

The 306 drives really well. I went to the supermarket earlier (no worries about parking) and came back via some B roads. On twisties like that the car seemed to hold the road better than the Supra over the ruts and bumps.

I wasn't going any faster than in the Supe but because the 306 was working harder and 'feels' faster I got the adrenaline rush without the fear!

well I think I'm planning on spending no more than about £850/900 on the car.... I've just been speaking to a mate who picked up a very nice mk4 polo 1.4 8v for £850... had the alloys and a few other nice bits :)

Still open to other ideas, but after further research and considering I need the following:

Hatchback ( so I can get my band amps/guitars in)

Around 1.3-1.6L

Somewhere around insurance group 4-7 (will cost me around £150-200 insurance)

I'd like Petrol, but won't say no to a decent diesel.

I'd really like something sporty/nippy, but I'm worried that it'll just attract attention to the car when it's parked in undesirable areas.