The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC's - What are the differences?

CJ

That XS Power one has dire end tank design, really awful. I will try and find and post a link to what to look for in I/C 's. Basically you want low internal pressure drop, even air flow through all the tubes, low external air flow presssure drop across the core, and a good price. Some things like good and low price don't go hand in hand! To make a really good FMIC, bumper design apart, would cost at least 3 K for a one off using a Secam core. Not many would pay that for a road car. My SMIC is pretty damned good, and in a stock bumper may well outperform many FMIC's. The Trust / Greddy one Syed Shah bought off me a couple of years or so ago was also a reallly nice thing. It was pretty expensive, I recall.

I read an aticle recently that was about the engine in the works Subaru WRC car, and they said that once the inlet temps get to 40degC there's not much gain by going cooler.

As long as when you're at WOT your inlet temps aren't much above 40degs then I wouldn't bother.

I'd be interested to see if anyone here has seen a specific increase in HP after fitting any kind of non-stock IC.

The Greddy 3-row kit is good bangs-per-buck if I recall. It's big enough and it's a good design, plus the kit has all the relocation stuff and tubes and brackets you need.

Don't underestimate ducting the intercooler - I'd rather have a small one ducted than a big one hanging free in the air...

-Ian

...I'd be interested to see if anyone here has seen a specific increase in HP after fitting any kind of non-stock IC.

I would expect any FMIC to show an increase in power on a RR, especially if the bonnet is open during the runs. The added mass of the FMIC would make a massive difference in heat absorbtion and the open bonnet would allow heat rejection without affecting the rest of the engine bay.

During real-life driving things would be much less favourable for the FMIC though, as the SMIC would be operating in the way it was meant to and most people tend to drive with the bonnet closed.

Also the 'pressure drop' argument -correct as it may be in principle- is not easily backed experimentally. I've tried it in the past and it borders on futility. Add to that the fact that even an 'ideal' intercooler* would register a pressure drop due to the temp change.

* extracts heat without any friction of air molecules with the turbulators

I'd be interested to see if anyone here has seen a specific increase in HP after fitting any kind of non-stock IC.

Jon did after fitting one of my 2 Row FMIC (25HP) - he has posted up his dyno sheets

I suspect due to the state of the old one as well as from effeciency...but an increase is an increase!