The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC's - What are the differences?

CJ

Mods - if this is not classd as technical, please move to the appropriate section

I am looking at purchasing a FMIC and frankly, I am very confused. Could someone please enlighten me as to why there is such a disparity with the prices? I understand that a 4 core will be dearer than a 2 core due to its size but what else makes one more expensive than others?

What factors and features should I be looking at when considering my decision?

Also, could anyone give me any real world opinions on the following makes:

Greddy - XSPower - HKS

Thanks Ian.

That sort of tells me what I already knew - the 3 row Greddy is a very good piece of kit as is the HKS Type R. In saying that, they are much more money than the XSPower 4 core. Why is that? What do they have or do that the XSPower doesn't?

I am also confused as to why certain FMIC are said to be more suitable for bigger BHP cars. What is the relationship between the FMIC and bigger BHP?

in the mortal words of Dude

"2 Row are for girls 3 Row are a waste of time so go 4 Row":rolleyes:

All hail Dude

I have heard through alot of the guys on supraforums that the XSPower 4 Row is a fantastic bit of kit more than matches the rest but a heck of alot cheaper that would be the way i would go

in the mortal words of Dude

"2 Row are for girls 3 Row are a waste of time so go 4 Row":rolleyes:

All hail Dude

I have heard through alot of the guys on supraforums that the XSPower 4 Row is a fantastic bit of kit more than matches the rest but a heck of alot cheaper that would be the way i would go

Do you have any links to threads where they discuss the XSPower 4 row?

John's write up is very good but I am still slightly confused. Why do people say that certain IC's will cope with higher BHP? What characteristics do they employ that the inferior ones don't? Also, if the SMIC is as good as stated, would it be good enough for a single conversion and if not, why not.

As I understand it if a turbo is running effeciently then the temps are not so high so you don't need a huge IC. I also seem to remember Dude comenting on a 2 row being pretty good as with a 3 and especially 4 row the back of the ic is actually pretty hot as the air is very warm by the time it gets back there plus the fact that it is near the water rad.

As I understand it if a turbo is running effeciently then the temps are not so high so you don't need a huge IC. I also seem to remember Dude comenting on a 2 row being pretty good as with a 3 and especially 4 row the back of the ic is actually pretty hot as the air is very warm by the time it gets back there plus the fact that it is near the water rad.

I think Dude was running a 2 row on his car.

Also, if the SMIC is as good as stated, would it be good enough for a single conversion and if not, why not.

Don't think the SMIC is capable of swallowing and cooling the larger volume of air as a FMIC would be, this would be necessary for some of the single turbo's.

It's down to air flow capacity where the FMIC would have an advantageous , but not if you had the standard bumper fitted as the aperture is restrictive.

I don't think there's any definite answers to this quandary .

Col, I'm no expert on this so am passing on 2nd hand info... Might I suggest you ask Chris Wilson for some input? I recall him mentioning that the XS power type intercoolers (you can spot them a mile off due the end tanks) were no good becasue the end tank design would not allow effcient flow through the core.

If you compare the cheap 'Chinese' makes with the HKS, Greddy, etc the end tanks are completely different, the ones of the main Jap makes are much, much larger and the pipework positioned closer to the centre on the core.

However, if you need to replace a knackered stock sidemount on a budget they should do a great job.

Basically you should be paying extra for the quality of the core and the end tank design.

The fin design is key to the intercoolers efficiency and the more complex and thought out the design the more it costs to make/r&d. It's all about shedding heat into the airstream. But without inspecting each kind up close at the same time it's hard to make any judgment over the internet.

The End tanks need to be bigger IMO than the XS ones to properly distribute the air, some also have air divideres inside them to move the air efficiently to all areas of the FMIC...Just look at the XS design, the air comes out of the turbo and gets in to the fmic....there is NO space for it to flow cleanly to all portions of the FMIC....and then the other end will just reheat the air by being so restrictive.

You can't really have too much intercooling, but it has knock on effects to the rest of the engine can be the limiters on how much to use. ie the way it restricts the cooling system.

Personally the Blitz 2-row worked for me and it's still working for Ian C and Dude...

But the 3-Row Greddy is a good deal and I'd go for that if I was buying (the blitz was on it when i bought it).