The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has driving another car totally spoilt the Supra for you?

RedM

Cutting a long story very short I was lucky enough to get a ride in a 2007 911 Turbo recently. Even better was the chance to drive it for a few miles.

Now, I want one. Badly. It was everything the Supra isn't. It was responsive, handled like it was on rails, it didn't rattle and sounded amazing.

The thing is that I can't stop thinking about it but know I'll never be able to afford one. I can't even stretch to a GT3.:D

So, that's the car that has spoiled the Supra for me.

What's yours?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1995 Peugeot 405 1.9 NONE turbo diesel

It doesnt need to be worried about, i can lob it into corners knowing that if i crash it i aint lost more than £500 worth, i can bounce over potholes without loss of vertebrae, i can mount curbs without fear of buckled wheels

Need i go on?

My 1995 Peugeot 405 1.9 NONE turbo diesel

It doesnt need to be worried about, i can lob it into corners knowing that if i crash it i aint lost more than £500 worth, i can bounce over potholes without loss of vertebrae, i can mount curbs without fear of buckled wheels

Need i go on?

Not what I was really getting at but I can see your point.

Or you can do it yourself for a LOT less, it just takes 6 months ;)

Having been in a few singles with 'flavour of the month' bits on I have to say they still aren't in the same league.

I hate to say it but when Clarkson said the Supra was "..... a super car but not a supercar" he was right.

Compared with what was out at the time of its release its up there.

Compared to a 2007 911 Turbo is a bit unfair :)

I wasn't comparing it directly but having been in one I'd pay 100k if I had it rather than throwing money at a Supra.

After driving a Porsche 911 turbo recently it made me consider selling the Supra. It does everything you said and in such a refined manner. However, since the single is now fully mapped I couldn't go back to a 911, despite it's refinement.

I also drive my mates SL55 AMG quite regularly, though it's a lovely car its not much fun to drive.

The one I've resisting spending any time in is a Ferrari 355 or 360 as that might see the end to Supra ownership :D It’s not so much the performance (they’re only a bit quicker than BPU), but the thrill of driving them is something else.

After driving a Porsche 911 turbo recently it made me consider selling the Supra. It does everything you said and in such a refined manner. However, since the single is now fully mapped I couldn't go back to a 911, despite it's refinement.

What is it about your single that makes you say that?

I think for a car driven on the roads its mostly superficial anyway, you're not going to test the true capabilities of your car on the public roads compared to track driving.

I'm sure you've seen the vid how Bignum did against a GT3 with not even full BPU around Bedford Autodrome. TBH many of these nice expensive cars didnt impress me as much as I thought they would have out on the track.

Maybe if you had a manual you'd get more driver involvment out of your car.

But yes.. if I had 100k to spend on a car, it wouldnt be on Supra mods either :)

What is it about your single that makes you say that?

It's mostly due to the power delivery.

The Supra has less "get up and go" in 1st, but as the gears get up, there is just so much more torque available. Nothing else I've ever driven has the power at 3-4k rpm that the Supra now has.

It's hard to describe, they're very different machines, but the Supra is thrilling whereas the Porsche (though very fast) felt a little mundane.

I've driven an older 911, and also in an Elise, and these cars really highlighted the lack of pointiness in the Supra steering.

I mean - the car is what it is, and the Supra probably wouldn't work properly with that kind of steering, but the lighter, pointier cars certainly capture that "go-kart" feeling more than a Supra does....

Some days you want straight line speed. Some days you want the looks. Some days you want to be driving a go-kart. Some days you even want a bit of practicality.

Short of having a car for all circumstances, the Supra is a damn fine compromise across all these aspects.

GT3 with what? 400+ bhp and no turbo lag. Weighs less than a Supra but costs several times more. I'd assume the GT3 owner wasn't really pushing it or that Bignum was the better driver of the two.

I guess you've not seen the vid then ;)

One Lap of America was another good example of how well the Supra can perform compared to many newer machines.. did you read about that result?

I guess you've not seen the vid then ;)

Martin, watch the vid ;)

The GT3 was giving is some that day and Bignum stuck with him easily. The GT3 had more power on the straights, but Bignum was faster through the corners.

I kept up with it on the main straight but was getting killed in the corners (lack of skill more than anything).

I have watched the vid and Bignum himself said that he couldn't have passed without a crazy lunge.

It would've been nice if Bignum had asked the GT3 driver how hard he was pushing and what experience he had. Every review I've ever seen of the GT3 bangs on about how well it corners so I'm assuming Bignum was the better man at cornering for that day. Fair play to the guy. If I'd been the GT3 driver I know I would have signed up for some more track days after that result.

Or maybe the 90k+ value of the car was on his mind. If I was in it I know damn sure that a 2CV would have been quicker through the corners and the 2CV forum would have been buzzing at how it's faster in the corners than Porsche.

It'd be nice to get a bunch of Supercars together with a few Supras of various tuning stages, hand them over to a professional driver and see how similar (or not) the lap times are.

We do seem to have a somewhat blind devotion to the Supra on here. Nothing wrong with that but when it gets to the "I beat this", "I beat that" stage I often wonder just what the truth of the matter is.

Put it like this. If I had a job that could buy me a 911 Turbo or a Gallardo etc etc I'd also have other responsibilities to think of. While I might have a play with a Supra I'm pretty sure I'd have a reality check of the situation at some point and wonder WTF I was trying to prove while hoping I hadn't been caught at 'soap on a rope', job losing speeds.

I await the day when it's decided that the Veyron isn't all that fast after all and can be shown up in a BPU Supra.:rolleyes:

Another thing. Why the lack of time attack or racing Supras?

They're dirt cheap and you could strip them out, stick in a cage, sort the engine and suspension and still come in cheaper than a GT3 or the like?

Yet, people still don't go for them.

Even though it's almost 18 years old now, my 964 spoils my Supra experience a bit.

When I had the Supra TT about 8 years ago, it was by far the best car I'd owned. But I was very surprised at the difference between the 964 and my current Supra - it does feel like the 964 corners on rails (probably not as well as a modern 997 turbo, but still very well), stops quicker, and you can just feeeeeeel so much more of what's going on.

I tend to think of them as quite different cars - the 911s are outright sports cars (more true the older they are I think) - the Supra is more GT. It's a lot bigger / heavier and is better than the 964 in other ways.

sorry but non of these new plastic sportscars do nothing for me the only thing i would give the supra up for is the likes of a 68 charger or a GT500. Before i started the rebuild on the supra was running 470bhp and im sorry but there is no better feeling in the world than going against somebodys lovely new expensive sports car and them not being to able beat your 14 year old supra. But saying that for the fun part i loved my old civic type R (played with alot).