The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warning Light Should I Be Worried ???

Tattooman

Should I be worried about this warning light ??? I have no owners manual / Hand book.... This has only happened since I wired in my (Top Speed De- Limiter) after giving the Supra a bit of Wellie Last night.... It doesn't stay on after parking up and re-starting the car ??? It is the warning light that is on the far left of the dark tinted panel to the right of the steering wheel by the air vent and it kinda looks like an outline of an old style camcorder from a side profile. I had to unplug the ECU and remove it from my car in order to tap into the 4 wires for TSD installation. The Top Speed De-Limiter works fine by the way. Any ideas or what the sensor light is ??? Here is a really crappy piccie of the light taken with my Camera Phone, it's not very good....

Hi , thats the "malfunction indicator light" did you by chance have the ignition switched "on" when you disconnected the ecu?

Reset the ecu and it should go away, disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes usually works.

when u bring the car to a standstill, does the light go off???

Does it come on at a certain speed, or certain rev + speed ?

When you bring the car to stand still it stays on, but if you turn ignition off and re-start the car than it stays off until you have driven for a while and maybe given it some heavy right foot ??? So hopefully it can't be anything too serious then I hope ??

I've just disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and I'll try it tomorrow on my way to work and see if the Light comes on again. I have just done some searches for the ECU codes / diagnosis and if it comes on again then I guess I'll have to attempt the Paperclip test to see what codes it comes up with...

Mine used to come on if i " held the engine speed above 3,000 for more

than ~8 seconds" it was one of the Speed Sensors .

try keeping the revs below 3,000 for the first part of journey,

then, on a reasonable straight, hold it at 3,500 for 10 seconds ??

(could be ANYTHING though....trivial...or SERIOUS so do find out !)

Mine came on when I'd only partly wired in my speedo convertor & top speed delimiter - it was because it was getting different speed signals from different sensors. What TSD have you used??

I have used the one from Miami GT who are supplied by Thor (TRL is on the unit)

I have used the one from Miami GT who are supplied by Thor (TRL is on the unit)

Mine is the Thor combined TDS & speedo/odo convertor. Hmmmm..... it should be fine. My brain isn't working too well today as I'm shattered. I'll keep thinking.

Actually - have you tested to see if you can go over the 112mph/180kph limit? If you've not wired it in properly or the unit has a crappy connection/no power I guess it would have no signal, which would give you that error.

I made sure all the connections were spot on using Bullet Connectors and there was a TRL Fuel Cut defender that I tapped into the Red wire for power from the Ignition, I earthed directly to an upright by the lower door hinge and then tapped into the other 2x wires as per the instructions. The De- Limiter works ok and I have had my car upto 140mph so I know it did the job ok ....

OK, heres the latest on my car... After resetting the ECU it made no difference at all. I drove my car to work today and for approx 3 miles I didn't go over 3000rpm and just as I got close to 3000rpm and held it there for a few seconds on came the warning light again ??? I pulled over for fuel after 1 mile filled up re started again and NO warning light came on. After work I was playing around with setting up my boost controller and NO warning light driving fairly hard boosting at 1.1 bar, coming into town from Dual Carridgeways and slowing right down into a 30mph area and driving really slowly on came the Bloody Warning light again !!! It's doing my nut in as it just seems to be really random and has no pattern to it at all ??? Anyone ???

I suppose I could quite easily as I wired it in.... But then that would disconnect the odometer totally as it's the wire that you have to cut/tap into in order to fit it ???

Mate, the light means an error code has been generated, in order to find out what’s wrong you need to retrieve the error code (As mentioned at the start of this thread). Click on the link 'error code' and it will explain how to retrieve the code and the meaning. Until you do that its pointless speculating further.

OK, heres the latest on my car... After resetting the ECU it made no difference at all. I drove my car to work today and for approx 3 miles I didn't go over 3000rpm and just as I got close to 3000rpm and held it there for a few seconds on came the warning light again ??? I pulled over for fuel after 1 mile filled up re started again and NO warning light came on. After work I was playing around with setting up my boost controller and NO warning light driving fairly hard boosting at 1.1 bar, coming into town from Dual Carridgeways and slowing right down into a 30mph area and driving really slowly on came the Bloody Warning light again !!! It's doing my nut in as it just seems to be really random and has no pattern to it at all ??? Anyone ???

Don't think it should be rpm you are worried about, I think its speed. This happenned to me every time I went over about 60-80mph for a few seconds and the engine warning light came on as well as the MIL light and woundn't go off untill I switched engine off and back on again. Also active spoiler wouln't automatically work too.

I checked the error codes and it turned out to be error 42 - something to do with a speed sensor. Found out it was just 1 wire that had come lose.

Best to check error codes, dead easy to do and gives you a clue where to check next.