The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension advice please

tintinmt

I would like to replace the suspension on my 93 N/A for road use only. It looks to have replacement shocks on the front but otherwise looks original. Hence, the car sits at the usual unattractive ride height and the rear shocks look rough although they seem to perform OK.

If I look at lowering springs and two rear shocks I think I am close in price to a new set of adjustable coilovers.

I am thinking HSD DualTech.

Should I keep looking for a used adjustable setup? - haven't seen much that's suitable and prices are not hugely different to the new price for the HSD.

Should I just order the HSD?

Something else?

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you! I have worn out rear shocks (really badly worn!) And have been looking at HSD Dual Techs or BC as my car is 100% a A/B road daily driver.

Someone off here took me for a spin in their NA with BCs fitted - I'm sold! Handles really well, yet soaks up rough roads and bumps nicely. Barely feels any rougher than stock, but corners far flatter.

This is the thing. How good to you want the road set up to be? Do you want it to be lowered, stiffer, are you bothered by harshness?

I'm always a bit leary of aftermarket fully adjustable shockers at low prices when compaired to OEM stuff.

I'm using a set of Advan aftermarket fully adjustable but they were a bit more than the prices you list.

I would only replace these with a set of Chris Wilsons shockers. Find a member with a set of his on and go for a drive. You will see/feel the difference.

My aim is to change the suspension heights, front and rear so that the car does not have the 'nose up' stance. I don't want to introduce more stiffness, harshness or noise if I can help it. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred pounds.

So, are we saying that (for comfort) it's better to buy lowering springs and keep/fit OEM shocks?

I have a used set of CW springs for sale at the moment and have 6 shocks (2 unfitted new) the 2 rear and new ones are German Bilsteins (german built that Chris can re-valve if so required). Have had this for 4/5yrs first mod I did to my supra as Chris ran the rule over the setup inherited (Chris is Whitchuch based) has been looking after my cars for a while.

PM me if you have any questions but Chris is your man for new stuff (but not comparable to your budget I don't believe but feel free to check with him)

Edited by Spunkmeyer (see edit history)

These are OEM Toyota and cannot be repaired so take you pick on which are ok and which are not if buying an ebay lot (2 look to have fluid leaks).

The German Billies are not red banded at the bottom

(I'm only mentioning hundreds for new) price of new - Toyota for red banded ones or Whifbitz/PartBox for German upgraded you can check on their websites. CW has to order stock in for him to then revalve himself but they need to go on his springs (I believe).

Edited by Spunkmeyer (see edit history)

Thank for the advice chaps, I have e-mailed Chris. I must admit, it seems more complex than I was expecting at the outset. The cost of staying with something close to the original specification is still surprising if not entirely unexpected.

The price from CW for a full set of new shocks and lowering springs is circa £950 including VAT. I must admit fitting used parts (e-bay ad) of this nature is a bit of a gamble. This still makes the 'coilover' route look attractive - but I have no idea on the ride quality.

The price from CW for a full set of new shocks and lowering springs is circa £950 including VAT. I must admit fitting used parts (e-bay ad) of this nature is a bit of a gamble. This still makes the 'coilover' route look attractive - but I have no idea on the ride quality.

Or the quality of the Coilovers even if new at the lower prices. I'd put the make and model into the forum and press that search button for feedback

Best of luck.

That is a great price, CW's suspension is spot on. Once I have the the cash together for another visit this will be the route I am taking.

Sorry, another related question - will standard shocks work with lowering springs?

I'm still just seeking to lower the car so that it has a more attractive slightly nose down stance without adversely affecting ride quality and... importantly not spending a fortune in relation to the value of the car and its intended (road only) use.

I don't need to be able to adjust the height or damper settings, as long as they are right in the first place.

Lowering springs are 99% always stiffer than stock as they usually have less active coils. Stiffer springs really should be matched with stiffer dampers.

If your dampers are tired you will probably have poor spring and thus chassis control. Post a photo of the car from the side, it's not normal for springs

on their correct dampers to give a nose up attitude.

Is that price for the re-valved shocks matched to the springs? I thought it worked out about £1040 including VAT.

I'm in the same position, my Tein mono sports started knocking after 1000 odd miles so they went straight back. I'm not going down the coilover route again, want to go with the Bilsteins.

I've got 2 options, the full CW fast road set up or the B6 Bilsteins with my Eibach lowering springs. I'm not sure which road to go down tho.

I calculated the price based on an e-mail from Chris. The difference isn't great in the general scheme of things - maybe delivery? I dare say Chris can clarify. I'm still deliberating. If new standard dampers would fit with a set of lowering springs I would probably go that way, unless of course it turns out that completely stock ride height doesn't look as 'bad' as I thought when refreshed.

Yea it was £864 + VAT for the re-valved shocks and matching springs.

My stock shocks with Eibach lowering springs sit just about perfect, I'm worried if CW fast road set-up will sit lower.

I've searched through pages on the board but can't find any pictures of the ride height from members who have the CW set-up to try and compare.