The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension advice please

tintinmt

I can achieve any reasonable ride height as my springs are either custom done, or I machine bespoke spring seat circlip grooves on the the Bilsteins. What I won't do is supply some springs and dampers that lowers the car beyond that where I think handling suffers or it's riding the bump stops. In that way I have zero interest in people's cars who are wanting to "fill the arches with the tyres" or achieve the latest "stance". My interest is purely performance related, I don't want to know about mods that make the cars worse than stock!

Thanks for the response Chris. All I'm interested in is the ride quality and handling, not looks.

Do you have any pictures of cars fitted with your set-up which shows the ride height? My only concern is access to my driveway.

I know Ellis had a set of CW suspension on his old UK spec, unfortunately he only has 2 photos available and I can't say if they are with this fitted. It would probably be worth while dropping him a pm to see if he has any other photos. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=910

DanDan's car- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=3414 now owned by mwilkinson - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=672

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

Sorry didn't notice this before now, on my 96 I had stock and on 19s when I bought it (heavy old 19s) it was not in great shape, CW stiffened up with springs and gave me the 16/17" speech but I went to 18s - handled on rails, harder for it but you could throw it around 100% confident you'd come out the other side which transformed the experience for me (and is stanced better) On the 02 the coilovers were cheap crap and JMimports swapped the suspension across as part of the updates at the time of purchase. Over time (5yrs now) I just wanted to try some decent coilovers to experiment more with adjustable settings to see if I could get a softer ride but maintain the stiffness.

Basically if your a cruiser you'll think it hard, if your a driver you'll think the best setup for the money you can get. I've got £1400 HKS on now and I haven't achieved what I wanted to get so slightly concerned I shouldn't have swapped but hey ho

To quote CW 'The entry level for on car ride

height adjustable units, in my opinion, are the Nitron units.'

That will cost £2K plus.

I am looking at options on simply renewing the entire spring / shock set up with parts to the factory spec.

I did look at the car yesterday and think how far the wheel & tyre combination is from stock :-).

I would reuse your Eibach springs and fit Bilsteins with the extra spring seat grooves added. It won't ride any softer, or not much though, but you can fiddle with the ride height if you need to. My normal fastr road springs won't feel much softer than the Eibachs you have, and my mild track ones are stiffer again. If you want soft try the Bilsteins with stock springs.