The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2001 NA Autobox problem

Jezz

Last night something weird happened with my autobox. No warning signs or previous issues.

After changing up into 4th (OD on), it made a slight whirring type noise and felt like extreme engine braking when I lifted off. Almost as if the handbrake was on. I stopped and let it go up through the gears, all gears are fine with no noise apart from 4th, it felt hesitant and made the whirring noise again but only with OD on. Click it off and it's fine in 3rd. A little further toward home and I've now lost 4th (OD) altogether.

No codes, no flashing OD light, just no OD! Fluid is fine level wise, doesn't look burnt. All other gears are still fine and whisper quiet.

Any ideas? Never had an NA autobox fail on me!

First check that the correct on/off signals are going to the solenoids, info in Workshop Manual, if not the problem, drop the sump, take out the solenoids and test them.

Thanks mate, will take a looky and drop the pan over the weekend.

Id go with DavidP's advise, I thought mine was knackered and he sorted it :cool:

thanks David :D

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f361/trinidadianstallion/20150919_120844_zpso4afnqwb.jpg

Typical that I probably threw 20 of these away when I was in the game!

It's the one thing I've never had to get involved with.

How much did David charge? I'm only up the road. ;)

Typical that I probably threw 20 of these away when I was in the game!

It's the one thing I've never had to get involved with.

How much did David charge? I'm only up the road. ;)

Pm him and find out, if you guys wana meet up and mess around with supras im in. Need to jack mine up and find my rear knock this weekend :(

Try an ECU swap, it's the easiest thing to cross off the list. If that doesn't help, follow the O.D. diagnostics in WSM.

Thanks for the advice and chat today David. :)

I swung by Silverstone to grab another ecu, i'll give that a whirl when I'm off work, failing that I'll try the next step.

• 2 weeks later...
The strainer has done it's job and the valve body is still working okay, clean up that box I gave you, swap the bits over and fit a new strainer.

I fitted a complete box earlier, drives lovely again. I'm going to strip down the old one and take the valve body out to try and find out how a bog standard NA has lunched its transmission!