The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel and oil lines

Chris Wilson

Please be sure if you add an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail or injectors, or oil coolers and remote filters that the pressure and return lines are of correct material, with proper fittings, that you remember to tighten properly. I have had 3 cars in recently with fuel leaks from iffy aftermarket set ups, or using improper, (or even no) fittings or hose. High pressure oil and fuel fires are never fun, and very rarely cheap to fix up afterwards. Take care, no short cuts, use the right hose and fittings, do `em up, and double check for smell or leaks before firing the engine!!

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Had a fabric-braided hose I was using as the power steering return from the rack to the cooler fail at the first round of the Time Attack.

No problems because of it thankfully, just discovered a puddle of oil under the car between sessions.

I must revise what I'm using in that department before round two.

Any recommendations on brand or source?

Something like this perhaps? (in the correct bore)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Braided-Hose-Rubber-Braid-Fuel-Line-Hose-Petrol-Pipe-Oil-Coolant-/290674700108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=590056179193&hash=item43ad8fef4c

I bought all my air intake & hot-side intercooler hoses from this company a few years ago with no issues since so their products aren't complete dirt.

Be very careful of using rubber lined braided hose for fuel, modern additives degrade the rubber from inside, I have had a pressure line fail on my Skyline, you need to use Teflon lined hose for fuel. That stuff should be OK for the PAS return though.m I use Earls hose, or that from Faye at Speedflow.

Hard lines, in say Kunifer tube (copper alloy) are the safest, none corroding, and cheapest way to do fuel lines, so long as you can buy it in a suitable diameter, and are not running "funny fuels". Otherwise teflon lined, stainless braided hose. be sure the braid IS stainless, some junk on EWbay is galvanised steel braid, and that even goes brake lines, God help us. The zinc rubs off, the steel corrodes, the liner bursts, in brake usage especially. Go known brand. Use known brand fittings. I have had a fitting fail on an oil cooler, turned out to be a (very good) fake. For oil and ATF a normal rubber lined, branded aeromotive braided hose should be fine, and is a lot easier to route as it's a lot more flexible. Note fitti8ngs for rubber lined braided hose will NOT transfer to Teflon lined hose, so don't try it!! They each have dedicated fittings and they are used without sealant, tape or magic potions. Fit dry, torque up sensibly, gorillas keep away. They do NOT need to be mad tight!

Hard lines, in say Kunifer tube (copper alloy) are the safest, none corroding, and cheapest way to do fuel lines, so long as you can buy it in a suitable diameter, and are not running "funny fuels". Otherwise teflon lined, stainless braided hose. be sure the braid IS stainless, some junk on EWbay is galvanised steel braid, and that even goes brake lines, God help us. The zinc rubs off, the steel corrodes, the liner bursts, in brake usage especially. Go known brand. Use known brand fittings. I have had a fitting fail on an oil cooler, turned out to be a (very good) fake. For oil and ATF a normal rubber lined, branded aeromotive braided hose should be fine, and is a lot easier to route as it's a lot more flexible. Note fitti8ngs for rubber lined braided hose will NOT transfer to Teflon lined hose, so don't try it!! They each have dedicated fittings and they are used without sealant, tape or magic potions. Fit dry, torque up sensibly, gorillas keep away. They do NOT need to be mad tight!

Great stuff chris

Chris, with the amount of time you spend on this forum dispensing sound advice I'm bloody amazed you get anything else done!

Your input is appreciated as always.

There are a few more like you, but you're certainly one of a kind.

I think it's your far-right attitude that really separates you from the flock.:)

Chris, with the amount of time you spend on this forum dispensing sound advice I'm bloody amazed you get anything else done!

Your input is appreciated as always.

There are a few more like you, but you're certainly one of a kind.

I think it's your far-right attitude that really separates you from the flock.:)

Soo true. One of very few people on here that no matter what will help.

I even help far "Lefties". Even if it's sometimes tempting to give `em bum info..... ;)

I actually look at it like this. I am on various amateur radio forums, where I am rather fish out of water, and so many people with huge brains, mega jobs, and hard won knowledge are very happy to spend hours helping people like me, wanting to learn, even if we are becoming a bit long in the tooth and finding learning new stuff hard work.

If I can do similar with things I know a lot about, then it's my pleasure. Yes, it takes time, it can be frustrating, but hey, if people want to learn about stuff they may not be expert on, that's great. As you may have noticed, I am not into bling, I am just into suspension, handling, chassis stuff and engines. Some of my best memories of things I have built for myself are that they looked somewhere between dead stock and scrappers, but went like hell. If a road car won't park on a kerb, or go over a big sleeping policeman at 40MPH without something catching, or the wheel kerbing, it's no good to me :) Preferably something that goes unoticed in a car park, but can outrun the rozzers if push comes to shove ;)

Your advice is always appreciated Chris. :)

I decided a few weeks ago to renew my fuel hose around the fuel rail and FPR, its a few years old and been subjected to heat while on Lee P's Supra.

Bought 3m of https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/goodridge-200-series-6-metal-braided-hose-per-100mm-g-200-6 Stainless braided hose. Not cheap, but much cheaper than fuel spraying in a hot engine bay!

• 1 year later...

Quick K , My Friend is turning an AE86 into a Track car , I posted a pic , he is running Fuel lines through the cabin of the car

Considering it is a Track car , he wont be wearing a FIA Fire regulated suit etc plus to me running lines in the car does not come across as safe ; I presume some rally teams have to, due to terrain ?

I also read , internal hose needs to be of a certain spec , as some is porous , smell of fuel in the cabin can be intoxicating

What is best practice ?

You can also see on the return , he has a Jublie clip on the Return line! :taped:

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Solid or Teflon lined braided, proper aerospace / motorsport branded fittings

Rather than the Jubilee clip on the return line, which is low pressure, I'd be more worried about the "nothing" on the vent pipe...

The battery live cable running betwwen the corner of the tank and the inner wheel arch looks poor practice, in a bad shunt that could get crushed, and it doesn't take much imagination to see what 2000 Amps of current into an ali fuel tank could achieve.

Thanks Chris!

Will let him know, but I think it will fall on deaf ears ; some people get very defensive when you try to help them out but I rather he be safe!

I dont think he is finished fully, not too sure what he is doing with the Vent but even though the return is low pressure I would be suspect the Jubilee clip would not hold up in a bad shunt, proper aerospace / motorsport branded fitting is required ?

I'd like to know how well the battery is secured as well

I am more concerned the Battery resides beside the fuel tank with Jubliee Clips holding on Fuel lines , Low pressure or not , a shunt can easy cause it to come off , no fire suit on ! I hate to see the aftermath !

Eamon , in true style , AE86 lads told me to do that and sure it ran in Prodrift like that !

Its doesnt really say much for Prodrift Regulations !

I tired!