The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clives Performance

Jordanch

Afternoon,

I'm currently browsing the forums at looking buying a supra, waiting patiently for one to come up in the spec I'm after which is a UK Spec Twin Turbo 6 Speed, budget of £14k.

I had all intentions of buying one towards September, October time but I am happy to buy one prior to this and let it sit in a garage for a while until my insurance is due for renewal.

I frequently look at pistonheads and auto trader as well, and have seen cars that I'm after, however I've tried to do some research on the seller, which is a garage but can't find much. And I don't particularly want to do a 10 hour round trip to see these two cars, and be offered bad customer servicing or in poor condition.

These are the two vehicles;

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/rare-uk-twin-turbo-manual-6-speed-mint-example/1387371

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/very-rare-black-uk-twin-turbo-manual-6-speed-only-one-owner-from-new/4168884

I was wanting to know if anyone has had any interaction with this company? If you have, what was the garage like, what experience did you have? I have sent an email to the company making enquiries and had no response, I've also called them but the male I spoke didn't seem enthusiastic and didn't have much detail to hand.

And yes, I will be paying my £10 so I can start looking at what you're all selling:innocent:

When I was on the look-out for a UK 6 Speed last year. I too found the chap to be unenthusiastic.

But the bigger concern for me was..., Why has the Blue Supra been advertised for years & not sold?

I was told to stay clear from members on here. It could well be genuine but all I know is they as a company have changed there name several times, which can only be a bad thing. Once you do your research on Clives Performance it will also come as no surprise that they too are talked about on other forums.

Ps the price on that blue one has been advertised at 11k, 16k & now at 14k.

I've not seen the black one advertised before.

Had you been on here a month or two earlier, there was a clean white 6 speed Supra (Lbooths) For Sale but now Sold. Imo probably the cleanest UK spec supra on here & it was within your budget.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Firstly the reason I'm limiting myself to a UK spec supra is the massive difference in insurance for me, I've only recently turned 20 and there's over £2500 difference in insurance between a UK spec and Import which is frustrating.

To the above about that blue supra, I've noticed exactly the same. It's been on there for a long time and has had 3 different price tags. At one point it was up for £18,995. The black one is new, looks nice from the outside but I would like some time with it to check underneath and test drive it, especially with its mileage.

I did see the white UK spec supra for sale on this forum but I only saw it a week ago after it had been sold, I would've happily paid more than the asking price for it. I've set a £14k budget but happy to pay more on a mint example.

I'm in no rush to buying one, I'm happy to be picky on what I'm looking for and feel the patience will pay off, and be worth it.

I have no idea on insurance issues, I am on a trader's policy, but we seem to have a lot of young members with Jap spec TT's who find insurance. I would never advise anyone to buy a UK spec car, there may be the odd exceptional one around, but most have seen plenty of rain and salt, and many are now real rust buckets. Add the poorer performance and added weight..... Well you see where I am going. A nice import that's spent as little time over here as possible would be my choice. Look upon body kits as likely to have been fitted after accident damage in Japan as that sort of "stuff" is cheaper than OE panels. If you are adamant on a manual you at least avoid the potential worries of VVTi Tiptronic electric issues if you want to de-restrict the top speed. If the car is at a traders I would ask for them to e-mail decent detailed photos of the underside, the sill returns, and cite what service history they have.

I have no idea on insurance issues, I am on a trader's policy, but we seem to have a lot of young members with Jap spec TT's who find insurance. I would never advise anyone to buy a UK spec car, there may be the odd exceptional one around, but most have seen plenty of rain and salt, and many are now real rust buckets. Add the poorer performance and added weight..... Well you see where I am going. A nice import that's spent as little time over here as possible would be my choice. Look upon body kits as likely to have been fitted after accident damage in Japan as that sort of "stuff" is cheaper than OE panels. If you are adamant on a manual you at least avoid the potential worries of VVTi Tiptronic electric issues if you want to de-restrict the top speed. If the car is at a traders I would ask for them to e-mail decent detailed photos of the underside, the sill returns, and cite what service history they have.

Thanks for that, that post I think really raises some valid points I haven't thought to consider about. I'll definitely look further at insurance on imports, I haven't done any thorough research to be honest. Hopefully it turns out positive!

Really appreciate everyone's feedback so far![GRIN][/GRIN]