The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Headlights - HID or upgrade bulbs??

Si_s Supe

I've just ordered them!! 😊 Decided to hell with it and had a go at eBay jobbies!! They get good reviews and we're less than Osram Nightbreakers!! AND free delivery.

If they're poo or don't last then it's lesson learned and HIDS4U to the rescue! Haha.

Nowt wrong with ebay job bike I got mine for my mr2 off eBay (toyosports) and they lasted ages and only cos £30

Arrived and fitted! They're spot on too!! First HID kit I've ever used that has a proper plug and play connector to the vehicle harness as well. All other kits I've used in the past just have spade connectors that push into the original connector!

Great beam pattern and light output, so much better than the crappy stock bulbs!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've already got 5000k HIDs on mine, and one has just blown (after a good few years I might add)... what do I need to buy to replace them? How do I know if it's the ballast or just the bulb or is it likely to be both? And does anyone know anywhere in Beds / Herts / Bucks that will fit them?

Sorry to hijack ever so slightly but what are the legalities and MOT requirements when fitting HID kits to cars that didn't come with them as standard? Apparently our local plod are quite keen to stop cars and check for self levelling, washers etc etc and if your car doesn't comply they tell you to get rid!

I've already got 5000k HIDs on mine, and one has just blown (after a good few years I might add)... what do I need to buy to replace them? How do I know if it's the ballast or just the bulb or is it likely to be both? And does anyone know anywhere in Beds / Herts / Bucks that will fit them?

(stupid font removed)

Swap the bulbs around then you will know if it is the bulb or ballest. Do not touch the glass part of the bulb. To do this is a 1 minute job, extremely easy to do. Once you have established this you can buy replacement bulbs off eBay. However it might be cheaper buying a complete new kit.

Sorry to hijack ever so slightly but what are the legalities and MOT requirements when fitting HID kits to cars that didn't come with them as standard? Apparently our local plod are quite keen to stop cars and check for self levelling, washers etc etc and if your car doesn't comply they tell you to get rid!

You have probably answered your own question in regards to 'local plod' as it will be different in each plod area. I have had HID's fitted on all my Supra's and went through many of an MOT. Never once failed or had an advisory.

Is it not a case of they pull people that fit them and blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. As the Supra has projecting lenses the bulb spray as it were is more contained so actually looks ok.

Personally I would fit them and if totally worried for MOT spend the 5 mins swapping them around at MOT. Plod wise, just do not go for chav blue AKA 6000k+

I am surrounded by police in London & never once stopped because of my HID's. They are 5k so look OEM, the line up is 100% straight & with the UK Glass has a nice clean spread of light and a clean cut at the top of the light just like the standard HID's. Doesn't dazzle people either as I have driven another car whilst my wife has driven the Supra behind me.

LED bulbs are the way forward now , you will need the fan cooled bulbs for maximum light output , these don't have the warm up time of hid bulbs but match the lumen output .

The limitation is the projector lens assembly , replace these with more modern optical lenses and you will have the brightest most focused beams - not that cheap £80 for the bulbs and controllers and a couple of hundred for the lenses , but = modern lights.

Bonus is legislation has yet to catch up with LED bulbs , so you can't get pulled for them as it's a grey area with bulbs being wattage limited historically

Edited by jagman (see edit history)

LED bulbs are the way forward now , you will need the fan cooled bulbs for maximum light output , these don't have the warm up time of hid bulbs but match the lumen output .

The limitation is the projector lens assembly , replace these with more modern optical lenses and you will have the brightest most focused beams - not that cheap £80 for the bulbs and controllers and a couple of hundred for the lenses , but = modern lights.

Bonus is legislation has yet to catch up with LED bulbs , so you can't get pulled for them as it's a grey area with bulbs being wattage limited historically

Any photos of these fitted to a Supra?