The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange resonant rattle

Ian C

I've begun noticing this and thought it was a clutch issue as it seemed to go away when I stuck it in neutral and lifted off the clutch, but now I realise it's just a coincidence as the rattle goes after a few seconds anyway.

I don't think it's anything serious at this stage, it's not bearings as they sound all the time and are much more metallic. I don't think it's oil starvation in the cams either as it'd do it all the time. I think something is just a bit loose and is rattling through resonance at a very narrow rpm window.

Video has idling and a sustained higher rpm section just so you know it only happens under the one set of circumstances. Ignore the ticking noise from my buckets © Chris Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnYLduvUI3o

Take off the auxillary belt and run it for a few seconds without to see if the noise is still there. This would eliminate the PS pump amonst other things. I have had a power steering pump exhibit a similar noise to this although it had more of a grating noise. It would eliminate the water pump, alternator and tension pulley too all in one go.

I'd definitely do as Shane suggests and pop the aux belt off to eliminate the wp, ps, vf and idler

pulleys.

I'd take the cam pulley/sparkplug cover off too to check its nothing

silly going on with belt or even a pulley bolt coming undone, or belt

tension

Check the viscous fan coupling

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Bit of a long shot but check its not coming from the reed valve in the sequential system, (the box like bit stuck to the top rear of the turbo pipework), had some very strange noises coming from mine at one time.

Although having said that it sound to me like the fan catching on something.

The sequential system was removed in 2004, probably not apparent from the angle of the shot though :D

The noise sounds like it's coming from the engine block itself, although these things can be a nightmare to locate. I think I'll just have to do a stripdown and check, sigh. I'll start with the aux belts and then check the cam covers, bearing caps etc. for tightness :)

Thanks for your help so far :thumbs:

Very hard to dis=diagnose noises from videos, but my best guesses are:

1 Auxilllary belt tensioner bearing (remove belt)

2 Cam belt idler or tensioner bearing

3 Just MAYBE the viscous fan (grab it when it's idling (use a rag if you are a wuss....) and rev and see if it stops or changes with the fan blades held stationary.

I thought I'd pull the top cover off first as that's easiest and check the cambelt. No dust. Is it slack?

Er.

So there was this much deflection in the cambelt. I pretty much could have slipped it off the gears using my fingers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180411&stc=1&d=1391691802

attachment.php?attachmentid=180412&stc=1&d=1391691802

A look underneath at the tensioner showed a suspicious glob of oily fluid on the bottom of it and no fluid on anything else surrounding it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180413&stc=1&d=1391691802

Upon removal, I think there is a technical term for this beginning with "F" and sounds like "clucked".

attachment.php?attachmentid=180414&stc=1&d=1391691802

It's a bit hard to see due to my phone not having a macro mode so it's blurred, but the rubber cover is split and worn and whatever was inside the tensioner pretty much isn't any more :scared: Also, the cambelt deflection remained the same with the tensioner removed :taped:

I don't know if it'll fix the noise yet but I'm blummin glad I decided to investigate sooner rather than later. How I haven't jumped a tooth on the cambelt I do not know :blink:

cambelt1.jpg

cambelt2.jpg

tensioner1.jpg

tensioner2.jpg

Turns out the local dealer was £80 plus vat, the cheeky weasel. Steve Manley did it for £85 delivered. I had a word with myself for even considering a pattern part here and ordered it from Steve :D

Here's hoping it clears up that noise. I guess it was stuff in the cam train rattling around with no tension. Scary.

Err, I would have the damper off and the covers off, it may well be a broken tensioner arm, or a knackered tensioner bearing. Measure how far out the "pin" is on your tensioner from the front edge of the "barell". Then put it in a vice and VERY VERY SLOWLY compress the pin back in until the holes in the barell and the hole in the pin are aligned and level. Then release the vice (quickly if you wish. The pin should have taken some force to retract, and should extend back to where it is now. I have only known one fail altogether, and that was for a good reason. I have some to chack lengths against here.

Well the fact the rubber/plasticy bit at the end of the barrel where the pin sticks out of is split and has dumped the fluid out of it says to me it's knackered. Did you see the piccy I posted on the previous page Chris? Seems odd to me you think the tensioner would be okay with that level of wear and tear, very unlike you ;)

I don't fancy having to tear down the whole front of the engine if I don't have to, I'll refit the new tensioner next week and see if it tightens the belt properly and removes the noise. The belt was slack and completely untensioned, the chances of two things going wrong independently at the same time are pretty slim, and if the belt gets tensioned properly then it can't have been the arm causing the problem.

If not, I'll take the front covers off anyway. It won't be going anywhere until fixed so it won't hurt :)