The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My single turbo Supra insurance renewal

DaveR

I just got my insurance renewal for my Suki through Competition Car Insurance, the first time I've used them.

I was a tiny bit concerned that all of my (very expensive) engine upgrades would require a further huge shell-out when it came to insurance, but I was actually pleasantly surprised.

So... Circumstances are: 30 years old, home owner (although living in Military housing), clean licence, no accident history, 7 years NCB, car kept in a secure area, 4000 miles per year, agreed value of £20k (with the option to increase on valuation), 720bhp. With my 20% discount for being a member on here (nice one :D ), the magic number was (drum roll):

£857.20 for comprehensive cover. :woot:

How good is THAT?! Especially when you consider the excess is only £250 AND I get 5 UK track days included for the year and 30 days driving in Europe.

For comparison, my Sky renewal quote was £1140 with no track cover (which was the major clincher) and I've been with them for the whole time I've owned my car (4 1/2 years).

The only minor downside is that I'm not insured to drive other cars, but seeing as I'm only likely to ever drive my wife's car other than my own, I just had myself added to her policy as a named driver and I'm good to go.

Moral of the story? Competition Car Insurance for the win!! :trophy:

Edited by DaveR
Added URL (see edit history)

Sky have been awful for me & no loyalty!

I called CCI & spoke to an extremely helpful lady called Zoe. She was very helpful & they did me an excellent quote & beat all the other polices on price! The only reason I didn't go with them was because of needing 3rd party incase I needed to borrow Dad's car or drive when I am out & about with friends.

Strange. Have been great with me abz. Maybe they know about your drag racing notoriety. So won't touch you with a barge pole

This was prior to my drag racing career when I had my TT ;)

When it came to renewal time they pushed the price up by £400!! When I called a few times they kept forgetting to return my calls on the call back service & then the chap on the phone was pretty unhelpful. He hardly made an effort to try & keep my business & even though I insured with them for one year I don't see why it should just suddenly increase by £400. The chap on the phone said it was due to insurance price increases & kept telling me that is the best price they could do. After nagging him to double check he said he could reduce it by £100 or so. I didn't fancy paying out an extra £300 for my insurance or that attitude. So I have never bothered even calling back since.

Been with admiral for 2 years, they have been superb!! When I had a huge problem with my import which wasn't registered the girl on the phone did me a massive favour & managed to get it insured on the VIN plate just so then I could get my reg documents. She bent over backwards as I told her that only a handful of companies did it & they wanted me to take out a full year policy at extortionate prices. Also 2 months into the policy I changed to a private plate & they waived the £30 admin fee!!

Admiral is great yeah until you have a bump or someone bumps you they are GASH!

My missus had the same issue, actually - bit of a bump in town (it WAS her fault, but wasn't exactly anything huge) and they - Elephant - treated her like she was a criminal on the phone! She renewed with someone else...

When it came to renewal time they pushed the price up by £400!! When I called a few times they kept forgetting to return my calls on the call back service & then the chap on the phone was pretty unhelpful. He hardly made an effort to try & keep my business & even though I insured with them for one year I don't see why it should just suddenly increase by £400. The chap on the phone said it was due to insurance price increases & kept telling me that is the best price they could do. After nagging him to double check he said he could reduce it by £100 or so. I didn't fancy paying out an extra £300 for my insurance or that attitude. So I have never bothered even calling back since.

Been with admiral for 2 years, they have been superb!! When I had a huge problem with my import which wasn't registered the girl on the phone did me a massive favour & managed to get it insured on the VIN plate just so then I could get my reg documents. She bent over backwards as I told her that only a handful of companies did it & they wanted me to take out a full year policy at extortionate prices. Also 2 months into the policy I changed to a private plate & they waived the £30 admin fee!!

Insurance price increases are always irritating... I was uber-chuffed just before my renewal was due lat year because I thought that with another years NCB and living in a low-rated crime area I'd finally be paying a vaguely acceptable (£5-700) premium. But no... It had actually gone up by £2! :conf: Ultimately, it WAS only £2 and as I was unaware of CCI at the time, it was the best quote I had by far (through Sky) so I just sucked it up and paid it. Still... :protest:

Just picking up on some of the comments; George, I've dropped you a PM in hope we may still be able to help but it does sound like you've had a good rate there.

With regards to comments on price, rates go up, rates go down, as a broker we offer the best rate available to us at the time. It's a fierce market and also a busy market place for insurers, in the past few years a fair few new insurers have become competitive for Supra insurance. We are still competitive on price, we still have a large volume of Mkiv's on our books, everything from standard NA's to very highly modified singles. Our discount for club members is still in place and whilst we can of course not guarantee you that we are going to be the best on price, we are certainly worth an enquiry whether you are a new or returning customer.

The only issue I would like to pick up here is service, if there is a problem with our service I am keen to know about it so we can improve and nip any issues in the bud.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Admiral are the best for n/a 24 and i pay 500

They're cheap, but they're crap.

Admiral is great yeah until you have a bump or someone bumps you they are GASH!

Yeah this!!!

The only issue I would like to pick up here is service, if there is a problem with our service I am keen to know about it so we can improve and nip any issues in the bud.

Send my regards to Luke, he got me a great price and was brilliant with my insurance, he is always on email if I have any questions! I didnt rate one of your ladies in your customer service department though!

Edited by Holden1989 (see edit history)

As I said by PM to Ollie, I actually spoke to someone at Sky when I first received my quote from CCI to see if it could be matched and although the price including excess and the level of cover for the road could, the track day cover could not which is why that was the clincher as far as my switching providers is concerned.

I have however been informed that as of next year Sky will also be offering track day insurance, so I will certainly be asking them for a quote again when my renewal comes up. :)

As far as this goes:

I never had any issues with Sky's service, part of the reason I've been with them since I bought my car. Indeed when I got my quote from CCI they really did work hard to find me a comparable quote. In the end the sole difference was the track day cover which, seeing as this year I intend to get out on some tracks, sealed the deal.

I still recommend Sky to people (regardless of what they drive) when they ask me for advice and will continue to do so. For me though, the cover from CCI this year made the most sense. If you drive a specced-up car, you need the appropriate insurance to go with it, you know? :)