The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Licence plate on windscreen and the law?

Clancy2k

Does anyone know what the police say about putting a licence plate on your windscreen? I took mine off the bumper because one of the clips has snapped and it looks soo much better! so i'd consider putting it on my windscreen permanantly if it doesn't give an excuse for the poilce to pull me

iirc it is illegal BUT on my old car I had metal plates, and one day some one decided to bend it to the point I could not refix it,

so I bent it flat and had it in my windscreen for about a month and never got trouble even when talking to a police officer one day about a closed road,

it wasnt till I mounted a new one to the bumper that I got a £60 fine for them not being plastic :p

The plate needs to be attached as near as verticle as possible, to the most forward point of the car possible.

Your best bet is to make new brackets, or do what I did ;)

RJhW-bQX-KY

LOL! that's epic beyod words.. how do i do this?

You need a switch, a motor, some brackets, wiring and your plate. An electric window switch will work, and IIRC I used the heater matrix flap motor from an MR2 turbo, but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong.

I had a flip plate on my bike, result bike confiscated and charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice (max sentance ........life) all charges dropped before court but took a week to get the bike back and had to remove the plate with all the coppers laughing !!!! Easy now I ride with no plate for that you just get a 7 day wonder and a fine.

I had a flip plate on my bike, result bike confiscated and charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice (max sentance ........life) all charges dropped before court but took a week to get the bike back and had to remove the plate with all the coppers laughing !!!! Easy now I ride with no plate for that you just get a 7 day wonder and a fine.

Mine locked down flat so was legal - confirmed by traffic coppers.

Mine locked down flat so was legal - confirmed by traffic coppers.

Cant see that being possible, even if it was connected by ignition what if a fuse blew, dude we were proper in the poop Sussex Traffic even took pics of our leathers and belly pans and went thru the speed camera footage to see if any of us matched, they wanted custodial sentances. No flip plate is legal.

Cant see that being possible, even if it was connected by ignition what if a fuse blew, dude we were proper in the poop Sussex Traffic even took pics of our leathers and belly pans and went thru the speed camera footage to see if any of us matched, they wanted custodial sentances. No flip plate is legal.

The plate held locked down when my 180mph clocks were showing my speed as past 0 and still pulling... and a traffic copper inspected it before telling me it was OK. I made a point of asking because I really couldn't be dealing with being pulled over all the time.

The plate held locked down when my 180mph clocks were showing my speed as past 0 and still pulling... and a traffic copper inspected it before telling me it was OK. I made a point of asking because I really couldn't be dealing with being pulled over all the time.

I don't doubt that BUT being an MOT inspector I have caught out many a traffic cop on legality of things, ask yourself 'If I was being taken to court, would that cop turn up and say I told him it was fine !!!!' personally I think it was brilliant just making people aware of what CAN happen given the Nanny state we live in.

I don't doubt that BUT being an MOT inspector I have caught out many a traffic cop on legality of things, ask yourself 'If I was being taken to court, would that cop turn up and say I told him it was fine !!!!' personally I think it was brilliant just making people aware of what CAN happen given the Nanny state we live in.

Fair one, and TBH I'd have to agree these days. They're only looking for an excuse.

Dude I have had it all.....that supercharger is illegal sticking out the bonnet.....err no its not as its an integral working part of the car. You cant have those fog lights on the front of your range rover on unless its foggy................err yes I can they are over the required height for running lights and besides the handbook says they are driving lights not fog lights etc etc

As most people know, I don't run a front numberplate, I've done 5000 miles (including the Dragonba11 to france and Suprapod) in the latest Supra and haven't been pulled in it, infact the first thing I usually do is remove the front numberplate on most of my cars, the only time they get put on is if I'm taking them to a garage for work/MOT.

I have driven over 30,000 miles in various cars with no front plate and only once have I been given a £60 fine.

Also, if your running a private plate, the '3 strikes and the plate gets taken off you' rule doesn't apply for displaying no front plate, only if it's too small, different font, etc

As most people know, I don't run a front numberplate, I've done 5000 miles (including the Dragonba11 to france and Suprapod) in the latest Supra and haven't been pulled in it, infact the first thing I usually do is remove the front numberplate on most of my cars, the only time they get put on is if I'm taking them to a garage for work/MOT.

I have driven over 30,000 miles in various cars with no front plate and only once have I been given a £60 fine.

Also, if your running a private plate, the '3 strikes and the plate gets taken off you' rule doesn't apply for displaying no front plate, only if it's too small, different font, etc

Did you try coming back through the dover ferry port, my mate got busted last year lol.

Had my plate in my windscreen for over 6 months now and never been pulled (touches wood) .. ive driven past/pulled behind and even had a copper "member on here" look over my car and nothing was said or done about it... Id say do it until you get a "telling off" :)

Did you try coming back through the dover ferry port, my mate got busted last year lol.

We went on the channel tunnel, they didn't even blink an eye lid, Craig (dr Jekyl) wasn't running one either and with all the cops at Japfest, none of them pulled either of us.

i had my plate in the windscreen for about a week when i had a skyline,got pulled and given a producer and had to get it fitted within 7 days,[i think but not 100% i had to take it to an mot station,for them to sign something to say it had been fitted],

then spent 10 mins with the coppa while he had a look at the car [not seen many of these!],as he was leaving i took a chance and asked if he was that interested in the car, would i get away with leathering it down the quiet road he pulled me on,

his response was he was going to ask me anyway,happy days doing 75-80 in a 30 with a police t5 in my mirror and no blues & two's..