The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help tuning n/a

MySupra

Only options are to replace the stock panel air filter with a k&n or equivalent, a stainless tubular manifold and 1st decat other than that mate your paying hundreds for the odd bit of bhp failing all of that for the track days and the odd bit of fun nitrous works a treat :)

Meh i disagree as there will be no noticable difference made by replacing the filter to another one that flows a little more.

Fair enough but if your wanting to tune an engine every little bit of extra air flow helps, it was just a suggestion as it is one of the few mods that can be made to an na without costing a fortune :)

yeah best thing to improve the engine would be to reduce the restriction in the airbox system, and also exhaust, as said above giving the engine a good check over will help it run a lot smoother!

could go for a new exhaust system with decat and no silencers to reduce the restriciton in the system and get the manifold and downpipe heat wrapped or coated, reduce the temprature around the engine?

could go for some weight loss in the car?

cams?

really depends on how far your willing to go without the addition of turbos.

Full service - all fluids, oil filter, air filter, plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, plug leads, oxygen sensors, etc.

Tuning - tubular exhaust manifold, 2nd decat pipe, cat back exhaust designed for a 2JZ-GE. That's about it, don't expect huge gains, I'd guess around 15hp, but the car will feel more lively.

I'd spend the money optimising the handling and braking, get the suspension arms/joints/bushes checked for wear replace with OEM Toyota parts. Good set of shocks and springs, good quality tyres and a full geometry/alignment check.

Braking - If you have the smaller Supra brakes fitted, replacing with the larger Supra brakes will make a big difference. If you keep the smaller brakes then a quality set of pads, braided stainless steel brake lines and decent brake fluid will get best out of them.

Alright mate, i'm in the same boat. Got a 95 NA. Got a few plans for her.

I've got an HKS super power flow induction kit which I will make a heat shield for. 2nd sports cat going into a single box system will be next. Coilovers and bushed should stiffen things up on the bendy stuff.

I'm happy with my NA so if you are too don't listen to everyone who says 'get a TT, get a TT!!'

I'm happy with my NA so if you are too don't listen to everyone who says 'get a TT, get a TT!!'

Obviously he isn't if he's after more power!

A lot of people seem to be getting their noses put out of joint lately by other club member suggesting that the ditch the n/a, and buy a TT; it's not a dig - just a sensible answer to the question "how can I get more power from my n/a?". I'm sure a lot of people have gone down the n/a tuning route, spent 1000's, then come to the conclusion that buying a TT would have been a cheaper and easier way.

I myself had a n/a about 3 years ago; I asked the question and got exactly the same reply - buy a TT. I took the advice. If its just the Supra looks and straight 6 roar you're after, then the n/a is fine - if you want some performance then you need to look at swapping out the engine, or buying a TT. Simples

If your going to keep your na then spend money on it, exhaust, manifold, full geo, ignition parts, full service etc

If your plan is to go tt and the na is a stepping stone dont waste cash chasing hp on the na and put it towards a nice tt and bpu parts ;)