The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My brothers crazy scooby...

jazz1

He got it back after 6 months API seem to have done a great job, the outsides not finished yet. The car is like brand new all the underside is new even the diff to the engine. The car sounds awesome he just has to run in 1000 miles then map time 550-600 BHP and the things all stripped and very light with carbon parts. I told him he has lost the plot

I agree but he does not regret it as he loves them. I don't know what it weighs but it's light from what I know they lightened the engine as most they could. Its very loud and sounds awesome can't wait to see it in action

• 1 month later...

I have to put a engine in the mates P1 in a few weeks, hes not a hard driver or sore on the car and its the 3 time a engine has let go and its a std car well serviced and run on good petrol. There are a few other guys around this area that has had problems with them aswell. The brother had a uk sti bug eye model and it had to get a engine aswell. Might be ok if its a forged engine but std they are very fragile but thats only my opinion.

From what I hear they run up to 400bhp fairly reliable, even then they have issues.

I'd think with that sort of power from a blown 4 cylinder engine.

You have been lied to. 300 is as hard as it goes simple bolt on. Chocolate engines in my opinion. To hold power they become triggers brush. I only speak for the 2.0l though. I know nothing about the 2.5. The P1 bottom ends usually fail about 60k. Need major work to work hard.

You have been lied to. 300 is as hard as it goes simple bolt on. Chocolate engines in my opinion. To hold power they become triggers brush. I only speak for the 2.0l though. I know nothing about the 2.5. The P1 bottom ends usually fail about 60k. Need major work to work hard.

I wouldn't be surprised Scott, I was told this by a dear friend who is a Suebaroo fanatic. I would have taken it with a pinch of salt but his normally fairly accurate.

I thought the same as you about them being chocolate teapots, hence why I have stayed clear from them. Also see them at garages a lot with the hood up which made me wonder about them.

Jazz - Your brothers one is a nice example though.

Thanks guys I will like I said get decent pictures with the supra once he's fitted the exterior etc. He's spent alot of money on the car, it's like brand new but then again he says it's his dream car. The cost was extremly alot in the region off 20-30. Il get a proper video of the sound with the supra. I ain't normaly a big fan of scoobys but his is very very rapid that it scared:sly: the lights out of me I can't imagine what a 900bhp supra would be I'd deffinstly shit my pants

Spending that kind of money on a scoob is a complete waste imo.

That's a strange statement, I am sure he spends money on what he thinks is a cool car, the amount of money we spend on our 15+ year old cars is just as silly, just ask my bank manager. If he likes it and can afford too then fair play, go for it ,agree on the picture comment.

I never was a fan of Scoobies...'till i drove my mates 03 ProDrive back from Brighton, last year!

Also the reason I sold my Discovery and now have a Supra....he has a lot to answer for lol

That car looks sweet..i'll show my bud this thread :)

apparently the 2.5 engines are even worse. Its the pistons that seem to be the biggest problem.

Im sure a forged build would see some reliability although I always feel that over 400bhp on a 4 cylinder is on borrowed time.