The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A tuning options

silver_bullet

dose anybody know how mutch power is availibly from the jza2ge without adding a turbo, i know ading a turbo would be easyer and cheaper but im looking for lowdown exeliration and throttle response and i like the way tuned n/a cars deliver ther power, the target is to beat an e46 m3 over the 1/4 mile without the help of a turbo , any ideas , cheers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The NA can be tuned but as others have said not cheaply.. There are a few options...

My current fav is

Stainless exhaust header...

Port and polish on the head

Oversized valves

Aftermarket intake cam

Standalone ECU with a raised rev limit(Link in my case)

Stock airbox

As to beating an E46 M3, well you have to remember BMW have a much more modern engine and they are pretty much on top of their game when it comes to extracting power from the NA lumps. (Honda are slightly better with their designs).

As far as 1/4miles go... it will also come down to the driver, transmission slippage (ie clutch), tyres, launch....etc

Have a look in my garage for some idea's if you want but I don't think you'll find yourself beating an M3!!! If your serious, another option would be to fit a small block chevy???

- Re-profiled Inlet Cam

- Lightened Flywheel

- Tubular Exhaust Manifold

- Twin De-Cat Pipes (Purchased)

- Apex-I S-AFC (Purchased)

- Larger bore Full Exhaust System (Purchased)

- K&N Induction inc. cold air feed & heat shield (purchased)

- Up rated Cam Gears

- Complete 4 Piece Lightweight Pulley set (Purchased)

- Up rated Spark Plugs

- Full Rolling Road Set-Up

All looks good, but to be fair, I reckon 270bhp is going to be pushing it. I had a good dyno run and it was well off that figure. The SAFC won't be much use for extracting power, as it will simply put more fuel in. You won't have any control over the ignition which you will need to pull the power in with regards the cams and things like that. The NA's injectors will have plenty of head room as far as fueling goes for NA applications.

n/a = just be happy with it, sod the racing M3's or racing full stop as we don't have the power simple as that :( besides the car should speak for itself so there should be no need to race...

also bad move making a thread on tuning up n/a's, as it appears that they don't go down very well :lol: (as mine got flamed as well dude) :tongue:

I've got a single vvti which I'm finishing off, and it certainly doesn't mean that I would flame any NA owners, in fact I'm going to push the limits of the NA engine and see what happens. I have no interest in forced induction on the NA. I'm fully aware of the fact that I will not make silly power with the NA lump, however I feel the NA has a charm all of its own, especially with the flat torque curve mine seems to have.

I think you will probably find, the threads that get flamed are the 'I've got an NA and I want to up to TT power without spending money'...

I think that's as as far as I'd go on the tuning side of things. Don't really want to go too in depth so after this i'll move on to weight saving!!

Now, I'll weight to get flamed on this... ;)

I honestly don't believe there is enough weight saving to be made on the supra. Shedding a little bit of trim and some sound deading material here and there won't make a huge bit of difference... Getting rid of 50kg won't make all that much difference to the weight of the supra ANYWAY... The only real way is to remove pretty much everything interior and all and I'm not sure how much improvement you would really see in the car.

I think people get the wrong idea when people say they want to tune their N/A. I'm not sure about other people on here but I am fully aware that I'm not going to get anywhere near the performance of a TT, I am simply trying to make the car more responsive and if I can get 40bhp and some improvements on my 1/4 mile times, I'll be happy:)

This year I took my car to Santa Pod completely standard and ran a 15.7. If I can get the 14's I will have done what I set out to acheive!

I think people get the wrong idea when people say they want to tune their N/A. I'm not sure about other people on here but I am fully aware that I'm not going to get anywhere near the performance of a TT, I am simply trying to make the car more responsive and if I can get 40bhp and some improvements on my 1/4 mile times, I'll be happy:)

This year I took my car to Santa Pod completely standard and ran a 15.7. If I can get the 14's I will have done what I set out to acheive!

And that IMHO is the correct attitude to have with regards NA and tuning... If you simply want to get 14s, consider nitrous oxide, as it will be the cheapest way to do it without opening up the engine...

i was going to pop a 75 - 150 shot of Nos on mine for a laugh on the RR day, but then after i thought about it & talked some more, it was decided bad idea...

as i would prob just detonate my engine under the stress :lol:

thats all us n/a owners are pretty much looking for that improved pick up time & more responsive, i know iam

as we know that were not going to get any massive gains as were n/a, that was the very 1st thing i was told when i bought mine, but i just want the same as Cadburys Purple in respect to power gains, perhaps some threads have not made that clear? :search: :(