The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A tuning options

silver_bullet

Why thank you hoffmeister!!!;)

I just felt as though I had to get it off my chest!!!:)

I think we'll be down the shed doing my cats and spats next week if you are about. Oh and dude, hoffmeister? Ad will be fine:p Not seen you for a couple of weeks so pop over, you do only live a coulpe of miles away. I know mikes missing you;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dude its all good here my end :grouphug:

*points to my thread on performance leads* :(

i was told de cat both or one & then run a straight system all the way through to gain 8-15bhp,replace air filter, sparks & plugs thats another (estimated) 10-15bhp & then dig deep for more power gains

also maybe switch to a manual gearbox as i heard that autos are much heavier? idk as im utter n00b & have no skills when it comes to engines & i don't even pretend to have any clue either, i just open wallet & say be gentle lol

dude its all good here my end :grouphug:

*points to my thread on performance leads* :(

i was told de cat both or one & then run a straight system all the way through to gain 8-15bhp,replace air filter, sparks & plugs thats another (estimated) 10-15bhp & then dig deep for more power gains

also maybe switch to a manual gearbox as i heard that autos are much heavier? idk as im utter n00b & have no skills when it comes to engines & i don't even pretend to have any clue either, i just open wallet & say be gentle lol

Decat yes, will free up some power.

Stainless manifold, yup that will help as well..

filter/plugs (15bhp), not likely... if the old ones were shot, then you may gain the power back, but they certainly won't give you more power.

Air filter... just do a search, the figures that people quote are bogus...

I seem to remember the weight between the auto and manual gearbox is not that high (well certainly not as high as I though it would be)

Close your wallet, WAY too many people will sell you bits that don't really make much difference, always ask if you are in doubt.

Want to buy my fuel saving device...doubles up as a house brick *grin* :p

Straight through will add more power although 15bhp is questionable and as for the plugs and leads they will ultimatley give a better spark which can lead to a cleaner burn but as JustGav says you will only really gain if the old one's are shot! As for induction kit's, in my opinion, as long as you use a good filter, heat sheild, cold air feed and even a stainless pipe from the filter to the inlet manifold then yes you sholud get an increase.

Ad, saw Mike last night, sorted squeeking!!! And we we're discussing your spats. Who did you get to spray them??? If you want them done better, for a small fee I will get them right!!!;)

house brick... opens wallet :D i find just lifting my right foot helps on the fuel :lol: ;)

cool man, that was just i was told by others those estimates, i just nod & agree & then post stupid questions :rolleyes: (im sure theres a lesson to be learn't there >_

although i have only de catted 1 on mine as it may affect the MOT, so i might whip the other one out after a new MOT is on her :sly:

she picks up now thats for sure, so im pretty sure that taking the other cat out will increase it even more *w00t,w00t... goes into a homer head floor spin*

my next mod's are going to be changing the color & face lift, as i heard that main dealer sell headlights for around £90+ each + the dreaded VAT of course

I think Gethin (cadburys purple) has the right idea. His plan will give a constant improvement and Nos to finish it of will give that bit extra when needed:)

Hmmm, some items I don't agree with, however that is my opinoin, I'll keep them to myself as this seems to be a fairly heated thread for some reason.....

but if you Nos it then don't you need to beef up everything else? or does it depend on the amount BHP that the Nos kicks out?

If done correctly with a progressive controller then you should be okay, hell you would be okay with small increases without a controller (Only wet kits mind you).... Don't forget the block is cast the same as the 2jz-gte block and we KNOW how much abuse people have put those engines through, so I'm pretty sure the NA lump will hold up, I'll let you know when I hit 10000 RPM in the near future.

All looks good, but to be fair, I reckon 270bhp is going to be pushing it. I had a good dyno run and it was well off that figure. The SAFC won't be much use for extracting power, as it will simply put more fuel in. You won't have any control over the ignition which you will need to pull the power in with regards the cams and things like that. The NA's injectors will have plenty of head room as far as fueling goes for NA applications.

Oh sod it.. I'll say it and get burned...

- Re-profiled Inlet Cam - Yup, provided it is profiled correctly..

- Lightened Flywheel - Nope, no power gained

- Tubular Exhaust Manifold - Yup, possibly to make it breath easier provided the lengths are tuned correctly...

- Twin De-Cat Pipes (Purchased) - Yup, again easier breathing

- Apex-I S-AFC (Purchased) - Nope, The NA doesn't have a fueling issue, I've got a dyno on mine to prove that I'm running ANYTHING but lean

- Larger bore Full Exhaust System (Purchased) - How big?? too big and you start loosing power

- K&N Induction inc. cold air feed & heat shield (purchased) - Not even going to comment

- Up rated Cam Gears - Not going to change the power delivered (MIGHT tweak the timing a tad...)

- Complete 4 Piece Lightweight Pulley set (Purchased) - Not going to change the power

- Up rated Spark Plugs - Not going to change the power

- Full Rolling Road Set-Up - And what exactly are you going to set up?

Hmmm, some items I don't agree with, however that is my opinoin, I'll keep them to myself as this seems to be a fairly heated thread for some reason.....

Sorry mate, Its nothing against you at all its just that I was trying to clear the air with what I was after and I beleive that there are other people on here just like myself. I fully appreciate your input and respect your opinion because every bit of information helps. Hope that cleared the air;)

As for the NoS route I still haven't fully made my mind up yet but it would be the last thing on my list and would only be used on the strip!

Cant argue with that really. I know Geth quite well and he has a plan, with some backround to back it I believe. Hopefully it'll see him right:)

Eitherway this debate will always occur, tuning an NA is it worth it. All depends on what you want etc. Many will say get a TT. Personally Ive spent money on the bodywork etc so would rather go NA-TT:)

I think Gethin (cadburys purple) has the right idea. His plan will give a constant improvement and Nos to finish it of will give that bit extra when needed:)

While I agree with some of the items, some of them I don't think would make a difference and I'm going to say it, however I wouldn't want some newbie to come along and see your list and go 'AAAHHH that will give me 270bhp' because it just wont.

Sorry mate, Its nothing against you at all its just that I was trying to clear the air with what I was after and I beleive that there are other people on here just like myself. I fully appreciate your input and respect your opinion because every bit of information helps. Hope that cleared the air;)

As for the NoS route I still haven't fully made my mind up yet but it would be the last thing on my list and would only be used on the strip!

Oh and there was me trying to be all nice. How stupid of me!

I'm not making anything personal, just going with personal experience and research...

And on that note, I'm unsubscribing...have fun.

don't see a prob with that info gav tbh, sounds to like personal experience talking there? :p

given me a few extra ideas as well :D cheers dude

edit: damnit refreshed page to late xD

gotta also agree there spend the money on bodywork & nice exhaust system & pop some ICE in job done imo, n/a's = fanny magnet (as we can't goto fast :lol:) so the girls get to see us, where as the TT's have the power & they miss it as there are to busy racing everything on the roads :D (joke)

Nice one mate!;)

Best get my bits on quickly so that I can at least quicker for a while:(

Well I don't know why some people have to come on here and sh*t on other peoples plans, we all have our own idea's and plans and in my eyes that's the fun in modifying your car, to create individuality, nothing will make me shy away from my ideas and if it doesn't work as well as I hope then so be it. I'm just doing my own thing and enjoying it!:)

Nice one mate!;)

Best get my bits on quickly so that I can at least quicker for a while:(

Well I don't know why some people have to come on here and sh*t on other peoples plans, we all have our own idea's and plans and in my eyes that's the fun in modifying your car, to create individuality, nothing will make me shy away from my ideas and if it doesn't work as well as I hope then so be it. I'm just doing my own thing and enjoying it!:)

Nobody is shitting on your plans as you put it, rather than just saying 'it probably won't work the way you want', I've tried explaining the logic associated with it. :search:

Here you go...

Here is a dyno plot of my NA at a recent rolling road day, I've attached the graph showing the AFR's (Air fuel ratio)...

As you can see they are certainly not running lean at the top end, so there is plenty of headroom left with the fueling system. I would recommend rather using something such as an emanage (which has the same fueling aspect as the SAFC but in a higher resolution), but also has ignition control which is where you can scrape more power out of.

Going one step further, you could use an emanage ultimate and slightly pull fuel out to bring it closer to stoich and not loose power that way BUT you will be using up your safety margain when it comes to detonation.

Clipboard01.jpg