The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rev limiter + boost + misfire = oil?

Guest Supra-T

Guest Supra-T

On the way home today I saw an empty bit of smooth road so I decided to give it some, I slammed it in to 1st and accelerated, the car hit the rev limiter faster than usual so it took me a second or so to shift it in to second, but it already had hit the limiter about 3-4 times. After that it started to misfire pretty badly so I pulled over and I smelt this strong scent of burnt oil, I opened the bonnet and couldn't see any apparent oil leaks but I noticed that my turbo was glowing bright red!!

After about 5 minutes from parking up I pushed the car back to see if it had dropped any oil and to my bad luck there was about 2-3 table spoons of oil on the ground...

As I drove the car back it felt slow and unresponsive?

Anyone have any idea what it could be...?

Spec

Supra Single HKS T04Z running 1.1 bar (water + oil cooled)

Stock engine

High Stall TC

Standard auto box (no oil cooler)

Sh1tty map (known to run a bit rich on boost)

Edited by Supra-T (see edit history)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not getting much input as it could be anything :shrug: (that plus hot weather, football, formula1 being on etc)

You'll have to do some digging of your own to find roughly where the oil is coming from and give a better description of how it now behaves - boost pressures, oil temps, misfire, feeling 'tight' or 'soggy' off boost, that sorta thing. Does it now leave a smokescreen? See if your air intake has got oil in it now and it's leaking out the air filter.

The turbo glowing bright red after a first gear pull is a bit suspect, what were you driving like up until this 1st gear moment?

You're mad dude, I take it your car still has the missfire problem, yet you're driving it like you stole it, bouncing it off the limiter. :blink:

I'm guessing here, but your hot turbo suggests it's not being cooled sufficiently, and the loss of oil would make me look towards the oil feed/drain linked to the turbo.

Good luck.

Sounds like you've got surge and with the high revs and unusual heat, blown the oil seals in the turbo. Any coming out of the exhaust side, even the tip?

As Pistonbroke says, probably insufficient cooling.

Jamie, still got that 'decent TT for 5k' you told me about a couple of months ago when I joined?

Another new guy might want it on here, that's all.

Edited by Morpheus
OOPS! Wrong bloke! (see edit history)

If you've got a ropey map with a single turbo and you've been hoofing it around anyway, I'm gonna shoot for this diagnosis: You've lunched the engine and probably the turbo as well.

The oil leak will probably be out of the intake filter. It'll be getting to the intake filter one of two ways - one, sucked into the intake system past damaged piston rings, two, out the turbo seals. The turbo seals will go if you've damaged the turbo vanes with bits of piston and ring, as it'll unbalance the blades and cause it to oscillate, ovalling out the seal.

The lack of compression will cause a lot of unburnt fuel to head into the exhaust and burn in there, causing the glowing red heat effect.

It fits all the symptoms but it's probably far from what you wanted to hear. Here's hoping it's something simpler.

Guest Supra-T
You're not getting much input as it could be anything :shrug: (that plus hot weather, football, formula1 being on etc)

You'll have to do some digging of your own to find roughly where the oil is coming from and give a better description of how it now behaves - boost pressures, oil temps, misfire, feeling 'tight' or 'soggy' off boost, that sorta thing. Does it now leave a smokescreen? See if your air intake has got oil in it now and it's leaking out the air filter.

The turbo glowing bright red after a first gear pull is a bit suspect, what were you driving like up until this 1st gear moment?

I was doing a spirited run and the car was fine up until that little driving glitch. There's no oil in any of the fmic pipes and none in the filter intake pipe so I'm guessing the turbo oil seals are fine? :)

You're mad dude, I take it your car still has the missfire problem, yet you're driving it like you stole it, bouncing it off the limiter. :blink:

I'm guessing here, but your hot turbo suggests it's not being cooled sufficiently, and the loss of oil would make me look towards the oil feed/drain linked to the turbo.

Good luck.

Lol, you've cracked me up man :rlol:

Yup it still has that misfiring problem, and no I obviously didn't mean to bounce the car off the limiter, it just caught me by suprise at how fast it accelerated in the cool night!!

Did i read somebody say you are running a T04z on a stock ecu?

No mate I'm running an F-con. :)

Sounds like you've got surge and with the high revs and unusual heat, blown the oil seals in the turbo. Any coming out of the exhaust side, even the tip?

As Pistonbroke says, probably insufficient cooling.

Jamie, still got that 'decent TT for 5k' you told me about a couple of months ago when I joined?

Another new guy might want it on here, that's all.

Nope, no blue smoke out the exhaust mate or oil droplets.

Guest Supra-T
If you've got a ropey map with a single turbo and you've been hoofing it around anyway, I'm gonna shoot for this diagnosis: You've lunched the engine and probably the turbo as well.

The oil leak will probably be out of the intake filter. It'll be getting to the intake filter one of two ways - one, sucked into the intake system past damaged piston rings, two, out the turbo seals. The turbo seals will go if you've damaged the turbo vanes with bits of piston and ring, as it'll unbalance the blades and cause it to oscillate, ovalling out the seal.

The lack of compression will cause a lot of unburnt fuel to head into the exhaust and burn in there, causing the glowing red heat effect.

It fits all the symptoms but it's probably far from what you wanted to hear. Here's hoping it's something simpler.

That sounds like something out of a horror movie!! I hope it doesn't come true!! :(

Guest Supra-T

Oh I forgot to say that when I moved the car today there wasn't a spec of oil on the floor and it drove fine? Obviously the 80 lepton an hour misfire persists but there wasn't an oil leak which I had expected last night after getting in?! :)

Weird...

Guest Supra-T
Not a lunched engine then :thumbs:

The turbo may have been glowing due to the earlier driving - the way you wrote it made it sound like it was the first time you'd booted it in the whole drive.

Ooops :)

So is it normal for the turbo to glow like that after a spirited run?

You said you had patches of oil under the car though when you pushed it back. Oil leaks don't repair themselves, they tend to get worse.

the only variation of this is I've heard the front main can leak oil past the seal on spirited driving then stop when driven normally.

I'd get the car on a ramp or stands, whip the undertray off and have a look around. I'd not be happy to just leave it as is.

Guest Supra-T

No, oil level dropped a little bit but it's still around 3/4 full on the dip!!

Maybe the leak is above the level where it settles in the sump so it won't leak while it's not running?

How did you know I was doing that?! Lol ooooow why don't cars just fix themselves!! :(

Yours just did!

What more do you want?

:D

BTW, do you have a relocated oil filter? Maybe one of the connections is slightly loose? Maybe even the filter if it's stock location? According to my oil pressure gauge it gets up to 80+ psi, which will surely find any weaknesses in the system. According to motinfo.gov.uk mine's had an oil leak for five years!

I'll never buy another car without checking it first on there. Will rebuild it soon anyway.

Maybe the oil on the road was someone else's and/or your performance issue was just from temporary overheating? Perhaps you had some serious timing retardation from knocking/detonation for a while. If the turbo was that hot, the cylinder head would be likely to cause knocking if not clean or prepared/coated to avoid it and the ECU will basically shut down the timing advance to protect the engine. Sure there's any coolant in the rad?

Might also help to retard the exhaust timing slightly, (if adjustable), to lessen the unburnt fuel overheating the turbo and making it glow. Give it more of a chance to fully burn before the valve opens.

Edited by Morpheus
Keep remembering stuff! (see edit history)