Rev limiter + boost + misfire = oil?

Guest Supra-T

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Supra-T
This is getting confusing now.

Who installed the FCON and mapped it? Who's sales patter did you fall for?

No comment! :p

Is the Fcon a bad ecu then? :(

dude, honestly get the car to a professional and get the damn thing looked at for gods sake! you rather spend £500 at this point and get it fixed or you can keep trying to figure out and eventually cause damage in the £1000's! the car didn't look healthy man, it needs some serious TLC.

go down to LeeP hes the man i would trust my life on and trust me he will get to the bottom of it in no time!

He's fully booked for 10 years! Lol

I have sorted out a LOT of the issues you saw at the cafe (btw, it is a original t04z because it does have a water feed it just wasn't plumbed in!)

The only issue that remains really is the over fuelling and the one off? Oil leak tbh!! :)

If the water feed is there it may well be an idea to use it, the F-con is an excellent ECU thats why I have one on my car and not the Motec we have sitting upstairs, in fact at the moment I would not run anything else, thats not to say the syvecs is no good its just the F-Con does everything I need it to and more and is proven on some very high power big budget cars, don't forget I ran 10's on an older safc than this and there are still cars in the states running in the 10's now on this set up, true if they changed to a decent ECU they may run 9's but the fact is they can run ok on this set up.

No comment! :p

Is the Fcon a bad ecu then?

:)

This is a copy of the post made by Ken Henderson, a member of T04R (the big power Supra group).

I have the F-CON V-Pro in my car and I think it's the best mid-priced EMS for our cars, bar none. The following is straight from the HKS website, but accurate based upon my own experience:

"The HKS F-CON V-Pro is a full featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back fuel and timing controller. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing adjustments becomes critical for performance and safety. The F-CON V-Pro, with its 32 x 32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps, is the optimal solution. The F-CON V-Pro can control up to eight injectors and D Jetro or L Jetro setups.

Injectors can be set to fire as batch, sequentially or staged. The F-CON V-Pro can also read drive by wire vehicles. Programming is done via the HKS Power Writer software, which only Certified HKS Pro Dealers have access to. The HKS Power Writer software for the F-CON V-Pro has some very unique abilities to simplify setup and tuning. Via the vehicle start-up menus most Japanese import cars can be easily started by selecting the vehicles parameters (Make, Model, Engine, etc.). Tuning is simplified due to A/F feedback control, where a target A/F value can be input and the F-CON V-Pro will adjust fuel automatically. Also, full data logging capabilities are built into the F-CON V-Pro Power Writer software. All major vehicle conditions, including speed, rpm, water temperature, intake temperature, timing, boost, injector duty cycle, etc., can logged to the HKS Pro Dealer's computer."

As to my own experiences, let me say this up front. I am a "set and forget" kinda guy when it comes to tuning my car. I do not run around with a lap top tuning on my car as the mood or the vehicle's running condition strike me. I've had it in my car for about thirteen months. Prior to the HKS 3.4L stroker and new turbo set-up being installed in my car a short while ago, my car had a TOTAL of 4.5 hours of tuning by SPE about two weeks before Vegas 2K3 which included my 801 whp run, the best I had done prior to installing my new set-up. The tuning remained untouched until the new set-up was installed.

The car has always started, idles smoothly at 1050 (I have 272 cams and head work), never stalls at stoplights, never fails to start, is unaffected by changes in weather, temps or elevation or traffic conditions and this has been the case since its initial installation. Everything works as it should.

The V-Pro can be used as a standalone or in concert with the factory ECU, whatever the user desires. For a full street car like mine, I think using it in conjunction with the factory ECU is the hot ticket. As noted above, it can drive up to eight injectors, a good thing as we found that my six 1000 cc injectors were running out of fuel at 2.18 bar and 1031 whp. We added two additional 1000 cc injectors (1333 cc/min/cylinder) which are driven full-time and my fuel capacity issues were over just like that.

I just drove 600-miles round-trip to and from Vegas 2K4. While there, I spent a lot of time with Mark Conte (LYTLdiablo) and Olivier Caza, although Mark spent more time in my car going back and forth to the track. Hopefully, if he sees this thread, he will pipe in and give his unbiased input based on his limited Vegas experience.

After the Crazy 8 dyno challenge, I received many, many inquiries from Supra owners regarding the V-Pro. They had observed the car on the dyno, listened to the clean, smooth and sharp pulls and watched while the car idled on the dyno for some time while the technical difficulties with the dyno were diagnosed and fixed. Those of you familiar with Japanese high performance magazines know that the F-CON V-Pro is the EMS of choice by virtually all big-name Japanese tuners. You also know that Japanese tuners and manufacturers have certain affiliations. By that I mean you will never see a JUN car, for instance, or a Top Secret car for that matter, with an HKS turbo or many other HKS hard parts. These two companies use Trust/GReddy parts almost exclusively and their own parts as well. The one true exception to all this is engine management and, when it comes to this, virtually 100% of the time, its the F-CON V-Pro.

Its been on the Japanese home market since 1996, so it has seen a lot of development. Many are put off by the fact you have to go to an HKS Pro Dealer and that they can't play with the software like you can with other systems. This, I think, is a red herring because the vast majority of users of other systems must hire professional tuners anyway to get their cars to run right. Very few of us have the time, ability, inclination and patience to program the EMS for our cars. When this supposed inconvenience is tempered by reality for most EMSs worth having in our cars, the V-Pro begins to look better and better, IMO. Hope this helps and good luck with your tuning.

You do not get much better than Ken Henderson's car, like I said I use this ecu for a reason.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Guest Supra-T

Well everyone obviously knows who convinced me to buy this then.. Lol

It's only difficult if your not an authorised hks trader, because they provide you with the mapping software etc.

Guest Supra-T

Just had it remapped mate, runs like a charm now! :D

If I do decide to downgrade to a solaris I'll let you know and you can have the Fcon. ;)

Don't think anyone is questioning the competency of that FCon model, but isn't the support and mapping capability a bit tricky in this country?

Well really the same as if Ryan were to be away for a while, a lot of people would be a bit lost!!! and software is around to by pass the need to be a power writer to map them;) Which is a bit of a piss off if you are paying £800 a year for the privalidge of doing it 'legally':search:

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Okay, time I threw my 2p in here :)

Firstly, Ryan and I get on very well, we have helped each other out in the past and will do so in the future. The good thing is that this forum particularly now has two very competent mappers that care about our beloved Supra and have had very good results in mapping them !

If someone wanted me to fit and map a syvecs\solaris then I have no problem doing this, and Ryan has no problem supplying me the ecu to do so.

Like Chris Wilson says, choose your mapper and let them recommend an ecu based on their results and findings.

As for the FCon, there is no doubting its competency and results. Ian C is right in that historically, those supplying the FCon in this country weren't particularly experienced with the Supra, they weren't overly friendly but they were overly expensive ! This is no longer the case. The FCon is a great ecu, particularly for auto Supras as they still retain an oem drive with the autobox yet they go very very well. And yes they are very good on manuals too. Everytime we've cracked Dudes engine open, the colourations have been perfect and no marks of det anywhere.

So lets not stir anything up that isn't there and just accept that the FCon and Solaris are very good and the guys out there doing there best with them are serving the Supra community very well :)

Well really the same as if Ryan were to be away for a while, a lot of people would be a bit lost!!! and software is around to by pass the need to be a power writer to map them;) Which is a bit of a piss off if you are paying £800 a year for the privalidge of doing it 'legally':search:

Ryan has a Syvecs padawan learner :D

Another snippet from the mapper at PHR

And this is from Ben.

"In regards to the V-pro. I cant say enough about it. I flat out love it. The system unlike Motec is designed to utilize the stock ecu to control some basic functions. In the case of the supra I generally set it up to control the automatic transmissions line pressure, abs, power steering triggers, air conditioning, basic idle and a few other functions. It can of course be used as a complete stand alone but I prefer the piggy backed option as it is still controlling all primary functions. It cannot however control an automatic transmission when used as a stand alone. There are no inboard provisions for line pressure, shift points, etc in the V-pro. It can control timing in between shifts to reduce shift shock and unwanted clutch slippage but it cannot fully control the tranny. The AEM claims to be able to but I have never seen one work, ever. So in your case we would use it as a piggy back and allow the stock ecu to control the basic points of the auto trans for the A340 or 341E.

The system is flat out the smoothest psuedo stand alone on the market. The cars run as smooth as stock and can be dialed in perfectly. It also is capable of using a wide band 02 signal to internally "self adjust" to always maintain a perfect A/F ratio. Its very functional and very reliable. We are Motec dealers as you probably know and I personally run the V-pro in my own car and not Motec. Why? Becuase my car is a 1000hp daily driver, not a race car and I want daily driver conveniences and perfectly smooth operation. We have over 11 years of experience with the MKIV and probably have built more then any other company in North America. I personally have hand built over 300 cars to date. (shameless plug

The V-pro does offer some end user control, contrary to popular belief. You can control various fuel maps, fuel trim percentage, ignition maps, ignition cut or 2-step rpm points, and a host of other options if so desired through HKS mixture controllers or the on board dip switches. Internal data log, 2 step, and other options can be setup through momentary buttons. NOS, water injection, auxilairy fuel pumps, fans, etc can be controlled. The list goes on and on. Really way too much for me to list.

The system is not end user accessible, this is true, but once dialed in it doesnt need to be. Basic changes in altitude, minor modifications etc dont affect it as it can automatically adjust air/ fuel values accordingly. The system is incredible and yet not over the top expensive like some of the alternatives"..

How much are we talking for an F-Con V and mapping for a '93 auto NA-T MKIV once the hardware is installed, as I may want to go this route in a couple of years?

Obviously it's just a rough idea for planning purposes.

Just looking at the AFR website........;)

You can pick up F-Con's on ebay for around £3-400, if your lucky it will even have the supra loom. The knock amp etc is extra, I paid £350 for mine and already had the (very) expensive O2 sensor which Terry S gave me.

You can pick up F-Con's on ebay for around £3-400, if your lucky it will even have the supra loom. The knock amp etc is extra, I paid £350 for mine and already had the (very) expensive O2 sensor which Terry S gave me.

Cool, it's just that I recently saw a 2JZGE NA-T with F-Con V on ebay with HKS GT Pro turbo and custom downpipe etc.

Looked absolutely clean with looms and stock Ecu etc.

Was £3500 but had just spent too much on the car as it was. It sold but was up for sale again for a bit less I think. Could have had cams and valve mods, rotating assembly, the lot.

Just had it remapped mate, runs like a charm now! :D

If I do decide to downgrade to a solaris I'll let you know and you can have the Fcon. ;)

:rlol: No offence chap but you really have been feed some miss information!

Get 2 new stock engines and run them at 2bar with a T04z slapped on, mapped by the same guy, one running a fcon and one running a Solaris and i promise you now the one running the Solaris will last the longest and make more power!

All the safety features on the solaris like the knock control, oil pressure trips, oil temp limiters and much more are the reason why JamieP's stock engine never went wrong even when running 600+bhp through it for over a year and being pushed harder than most owners would push it every time it was running!

Also there are definatly alot more Syvecs mappers available in the uk than fcon. When you get a problem can you just send them a log from the ecu on what is happening?

Anyway enjoy your day mine has ended pretty well on my day off :)

Guest Supra-T

Get 2 new stock engines and run them at 2bar with a T04z slapped on, mapped by the same guy, one running a fcon and one running a Solaris and i promise you now the one running the Solaris will last the longest and make more power!

All the safety features on the solaris like the knock control, oil pressure trips, oil temp limiters and much more are the reason why JamieP's stock engine never went wrong even when running 600+bhp through it for over a year and being pushed harder than most owners would push it every time it was running!

Also there are definatly alot more Syvecs mappers available in the uk than fcon. When you get a problem can you just send them a log from the ecu on what is happening?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Fletchy/DSC_1141.jpg

Ok, thanks for enlightening me Ryan, I honestly don't know what would happen to this forum if we didn't have you on here!! :)

There is this one question that's still bugging me though, why is Jamie looking for an Fcon when he's obviously already got the much more superior ecu? ;)

Guest Supra-T

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Fletchy/DSC_1141.jpg

Oh and btw nice view mate but personally I've had enough of it because I see it everytime I look out of my window! ;)