The mkiv Supra Owners Club

driving the supra mk4 without a thermostat for the summer

Guest ro66ie

Guest ro66ie

Removing the thermostat removes the cars ability to make the heater in the the car work. It holds the engine coolant in the engine instead of letting it flow to the radiator where it will cool down and allows the coolant to warm up which is what allows the car to blow heat into the compartment. If the thermostat gets stuck, Then the coolant never flows to the radiator and stays in the engine and superheats which will ruin your engine by cracking the head. BUT, removing the thermostat allows the coolant to constantly flow to the radiator and through the fins in the radiator cooling it constantly and never allowing the coolant to get warm enough to generate enough heat for inside the car

Guest ro66ie

dave..the point is for other mk4 owners with overheating problems who search on the forum...looking for education, not a smart arsed answer

dave..the point is for other mk4 owners with overheating problems who search on the forum...looking for education, not a smart arsed answer

Hmmm, a quick search using the search button yields..........information from our traders and other members that I trust alot more than some rubbish you have just plucked from the air. Pointless.

After all the issues I've had, I'll be adding a termostat back in this week to continue the troubleshooting. It'll confirm if this is correct, or not. I hope it's correct tbh!

However Chris Wilson and quite a few other knowledgeable folks have already explained there is another issue causing this.

Good way to bodge the car, its never going to get up to working temperature and will be running closed loop using loads of fuel and generally fucking up the engine.

Good advice:rolleyes:its overheating for a reason, fix the car properly.