The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension bushes

Ian C

I got a clonky noise recently when braking hard. Turns out my poor old wishbone bushes have finally given up on life after 6 hard years. The wishbones are moving around quite a bit, there are telltale polished bits on the mounts. From searching on here I understand I can't just buy OEM bushes :rolleyes: and so I've got two options:

1) all new wishbones all round (can't see any point not doing the rears as well)

2) TRD or some other 'uprated' poly bushes instead

Option 1 is rather a lot of money. I'm mere days away from completing on my first house purchase so throwing that sort of cash at the car now needs serious consideration, although I'll do it if I have to

bye bye 42" plasma telly
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_sad.gif
Option 2 looks better if I can get the damn things and they don't make the ride even harsher than it already is.

Questions:

Do TRD bushes still exist?

Are there any other replacement bushes on the market that a) aren't off ebay and b) aren't made of adamantium?

Are there any other options open to me that I'm unaware of?

Thoughts please :)

-Ian

PS traders feel free to quote prices

Ian, Have a look here. Maybe you can ask JamieP how he is finding them.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=91319&highlight=powerflex

Also I have got powerflex bushes fitted all round on my 300zx and they are brilliant! However you do FEEL more of the imperfections in the road but it doesn't seem any bumpier...if that makes sense...:blink:

And an old thread with opinions from CW

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=10040&highlight=powerflex

Ian, TRD still sell replacement bushes for the front arms, they no longer sell the rear ones though (with the exception of one).

Personally I'd recommend replacing with new OEM arms, more expensive yes, but you get the advantage of new ball joints. The ball joints are an integral part of the arm and can't be replaced separately. If the bushes are worn then the ball joints are probably on their way also.

Give me a shout if you need any more info; part numbers, prices, etc.

That's a good point regarding the ball joints etc.

I *know* replacing everything is the best course of action, especially what with the ball joints, but this came at a bad time money-wise.

PM me a quote for upper and lower front wishbones and the upper rears please :) Plus lead times and shipping options etc ta.

-Ian

Ian, TRD still sell replacement bushes for the front arms, they no longer sell the rear ones though (with the exception of one).

Personally I'd recommend replacing with new OEM arms, more expensive yes, but you get the advantage of new ball joints. The ball joints are an integral part of the arm and can't be replaced separately. If the bushes are worn then the ball joints are probably on their way also.

Give me a shout if you need any more info; part numbers, prices, etc.

When I spoke with Jamie about this, it sounded like it turned out to be a nightmare job to replace the arm bushes. He mentioned Turbofit said it was a "never again" job. I think it turned into a full days work at least (and thats with the facilities and tools).

I remember Dude telling me much the same a couple of years ago.

Yea turbofit said most went in well but there was a couple that was a complete nightmare, 1 bush alone took them 3 hours, saying that they still did the complete job in a day, ill try to find out which was the hard ones to change.

Well i had it done on my upper and lower control arm bushes from r2 racing (i think)

With hindsight i would never have them again, the ride is harsh and skittish on normal roads, i only found it fun on roads that were very smooth where i could feel it laoding up nicely.

I have now bit the bullet and gone for the replacement arms instead, i wish i did that the first time around ! :rolleyes:

Replacing just the bushes higlighted the weak points in other parts of the suspension as well.

Labout cost was also quite high as well, im sure on balance the replacement arms are a better bet in my opinion.

Guest 38super

Hi Ian

I put a completet set of Vlamos bushes in my Supra some 40,000 km's ago and have nothing but good things to say about them. He originally makes them for Soarers but produces harder rubber versions for the supra, You can contact hime at Andrew Vlamos

[email protected] From memory a complete set front & rear was about AUD$1100 which in your money is cheap as chips!

PS Haven't forgotten about the emanage map!!

Oh hello matey, I've almost forgotten, you weren't waiting on me for anything were you? :search:

Harder rubber is a no-no for me, my suspension is already rock hard lol, that's probably why the bushes have gone in 70k miles!

-Ian

Hi Ian

I put a completet set of Vlamos bushes in my Supra some 40,000 km's ago and have nothing but good things to say about them. He originally makes them for Soarers but produces harder rubber versions for the supra, You can contact hime at Andrew Vlamos

[email protected] From memory a complete set front & rear was about AUD$1100 which in your money is cheap as chips!

PS Haven't forgotten about the emanage map!!

Tried to drive it a long way today and after 25 miles I came home. It's all over the place, and explains the increasing handling gremlins I've been experiencing of late. Tramlining, rear steering, sideways shimmy's. Not fun :(

Anyway, I'm awaiting a call back from Steve Manley to discuss this little lot (would get it from Nic but I need the car for the trip to LeMans and the postage time is too long alas) :

Front

-----

Upper:

48610-19025 Front Upper Arm - RH

48630-19025 Front Upper Arm - LH

48610G Nut for front upper suspension arm RH

48630C Nut for front upper suspension arm LH

4*90209 14007 std part, washer

48610F Bolt for front upper suspension arm RH

48630B Bolt for front upper suspension arm LH

Lower:

48068-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy - RH

48069-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy - LH

43330L Nut, castle for front lower ball joint RH - does this come with sub assy?

43340B Nut, castle for front lower ball joint LH - does this come with sub assy?

2* 90468 16016 std part, castle nut binder - does this come with sub assy?

2* 48068G Nut for front suspension lower arm RH

2* 48069C Nut for front suspension lower arm LH

4* 90201 16017 std part, washer

2* 48194D Cam, front suspension camber adjust No2 RH

2* 48198D Cam, front suspension camber adjust No2 LH

2* 48657A Stopper, front lower arm bush

2* 48194C Cam, front suspension camber adjust No1 RH

2* 48198C Cam, front suspension camber adjust No1 LH

2* 95622 11200 std part, washer

2* 90170 12036 std part, nut

Rear

----

8* 90201 14020 washer, std part

Lower arm (rearmost):

48730-14040 Rear Lower Arm - RH

48740-14070 Rear Lower Arm - LH

2* 48710P Nut, No2 rear lower control arm

2* 48710N Nut, No1 rear lower control arm

48194H Cam, rear suspension camber adjust No2 RH

48198R Cam, rear suspension camber adjust No2 LH

2* 48198H Cam, camber adjust, No2

Lower arm (frontmost):

48710-14110 Rear Arm Assembly RH

48720-xxxxx Rear Arm Assembly LH

2* 90179 12027 std part, nut

2* 48710N Nut, No1 rear lower control arm

2* 48198H Cam, camber adjust, No2

48194G Cam, rear suspension camber adjust, No1 RH

48198G Cam, rear suspension camber adjust, No1 LH

Strut rod:

48780A Rod assy, rear

48780A Rod assy, rear

4* 48780C Nut for strut rod

4* 48780B Bolt for strut rod

48725-14070 Bush, rear axle carrier 48725F RH

48725-14070 Bush, rear axle carrier 48725G LH

Upper arm:

48770A Arm assy, Upper control, rear RH

48790 Arm assy, Upper control, rear LH

4* 48770D Nut for rear upper control arm

2* 90201 14031 std part, washer

2* 48770F Ring, E for rear upper control arm

2* 48757 Attachment, rear suspension arm

2* 48770H Bolt, rear upper control arm RH

2* 48790B Bolt, rear upper control arm LH

I figured all the nuts, bolts, washers, camber adjusters etc can get replaced as well, they will be a small %age of the final cost but will make things so much easier and cleaner to work with.

Someone buy my 272 intake cam for mercy's sake.

-Ian