The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension bushes

Ian C

Jesus christ I got the quote through from Steve Manley.

I think I'm going to have to order off Nic and figure out some other transport for my LeMans trip in June.

-Ian

Even Steve Manley is at least 50% more than Nic on some parts! checked a few suspension bits with him last week.

Would it be worthwhile getting just the faulty arm replaced in the mean time (either a new one from Toyota, or a temporary one from a scrappy?). They're not all that difficult to do, just time consuming.

Oh it's more than 50% :shock:

Thing is about the faulty arm is that we simply stopped looking at that point because as far as I'm concerned as soon as one arm displayed seriously worn bushes, well, they are all the same age doing the same job, so the lot needs to be replaced at once - otherwise it'll never be right. I'm just gonna get them all replaced with new bits sometime early June and get it sorted back to how I distantly recall it used to be :)

-Ian

Even Steve Manley is at least 50% more than Nic on some parts! checked a few suspension bits with him last week.

Would it be worthwhile getting just the faulty arm replaced in the mean time (either a new one from Toyota, or a temporary one from a scrappy?). They're not all that difficult to do, just time consuming.

Oh it's more than 50% :shock:

Thing is about the faulty arm is that we simply stopped looking at that point because as far as I'm concerned as soon as one arm displayed seriously worn bushes, well, they are all the same age doing the same job, so the lot needs to be replaced at once - otherwise it'll never be right. I'm just gonna get them all replaced with new bits sometime early June and get it sorted back to how I distantly recall it used to be :)

-Ian

Exactly what i thought(and how i justified the expense :D )

My bits should be here in a month (come on Nic) Im looking forward to having a fun to drive car again :)

• 1 year later...
Guest supersu

hi JamieP,

I'm a new member to this forum. Actually from the US, owner of 1993.5 Toyota Supra NA. Like many of you I've experiences creaking and soft ride on my Supra and decided that the bushings are the problems. I was wondering if you can share your experience in changing the bushes? I've purchased the PowerFlex polys for all the control arms except the rear upper (because they don't make it). I plan to add the rear upper control arm bushing kit from either SuperPro or Nolathane from Australia.

1. I heard poly bushings can creak after a while. Is that true?

2. After you remove the old bushes from the control arm, where exactly are you supposed to place the lube? My PowerFlex bush each comes with two poly pieces and a metallic inner tube. when you put them into the control arm, do you lube the outer circumference of the bush in contact with the control arm? And do you lube the inner circumference of the bush that's in contact with the metallic inner tube that came with it? Do you do both or just one of the surfaces.

3. I've heard improper lubing of surfaces can cause squeaking. Does anyone know anything about that? I'm planning to pay a mechanic to do this bushing replacement but he said that he previously had experience with poly bushes becoming noisy after 6 months. My original reason for replacing the bushes was first and foremost because of the noise. If it comes back after the bush replacement I'll go crazy!!!

Please help. Thanks

Andy