The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dumb question: is there coolant in the FMIC?

Carl_S

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my ignorance and only owning an N/A I had incorrectly assumed that that the intercooler system worked much like the standard radiator system and was water cooling the turbo. If the Intercooler is just an air to air heat exchanger how is air forced round the system? is there a diagram of how this works anywhere?

over kill

The intercooler is just a big box with pipes running through it.

The air (compressed and therefore hot) from the turbo gets feed through the pipes in the intercooler. The intercooler itself relies on the fact that the car is moving and air is being forced through it. Therefore, the air which gets forced through the cooler by the momentum of the car saps the heat from the air from the turbo and thus making it colder when it enters your engine.

The intercooler is usesless on a car which isnt moving

The intercooler is just a big box with pipes running through it.

The air (compressed and therefore hot) from the turbo gets feed through the pipes in the intercooler. The intercooler itself relies on the fact that the car is moving and air is being forced through it. Therefore, the air which gets forced through the cooler by the momentum of the car saps the heat from the air from the turbo and thus making it colder when it enters your engine.

The intercooler is usesless on a car which isnt moving

well i would not want to put my car on a dyno without one:D

What can I say?:D

And regarding the other thread, I am pissed off in the extreme so woe betide any newbie asking dumb as feck questions tonight :complain::aggress:

Whats the red button for

How do I get more power from an NA

Whats the MPG of a Supra

Whats the tyre pressure on 19"'s

Whats the biggest wheels I can fit

You could answer these and get them out the way :D

Whats the red button for

How do I get more power from an NA

Whats the MPG of a Supra

Whats the tyre pressure on 19"'s

Whats the biggest wheels I can fit

You could answer these and get them out the way :D

And that's the one that really gets to me :(

Therefore, the air which gets forced through the cooler by the momentum of the car saps the heat from the air from the turbo and thus making it colder when it enters your engine.

Well if you're going to be picky, then so am I.;)

If it's the momentum of the car that forces air through the 'cooler, then it follows that if I add weight to my car (thus increasing it's mass) it will have more momentum whilst in motion and therefore will be able to force more air through the 'cooler and therefore remove more heat! This will obviously lead to HP gains!

Add weight - go faster! :D

NOTE. Air to water intercoolers (like Liberty / Legacy) are better than air to air, but more costly to make. Obviously water can soak up more heat and transfer it than air!

Good copy and paste from a scooby site :p

I have issues with this bit btw. Chargecoolers are a different solution to intercoolers, with their own pros and cons. Heatsoak is a much bigger issue with chargecoolers - if water is really good at taking heat and storing it compared to air, then air must be rubbish at taking heat out of water.

So while the initial cooling is better, with longer hard usage it's worse, and also once you come off boost and the charge air temps go down, the chargecooler is actually heating the air charge up ;)

Also the plumbing, coolant, pump etc take up a fair bit of weight, there is packaging issues, potential leaks and pump failures, and a slight power drain just to run it.

However for some setups it's ideal, mid and rear engine cars for example.

-Ian

Good copy and paste from a scooby site :p

I have issues with this bit btw. Chargecoolers are a different solution to intercoolers, with their own pros and cons. Heatsoak is a much bigger issue with chargecoolers - if water is really good at taking heat and storing it compared to air, then air must be rubbish at taking heat out of water.

So while the initial cooling is better, with longer hard usage it's worse, and also once you come off boost and the charge air temps go down, the chargecooler is actually heating the air charge up ;)

Also the plumbing, coolant, pump etc take up a fair bit of weight, there is packaging issues, potential leaks and pump failures, and a slight power drain just to run it.

However for some setups it's ideal, mid and rear engine cars for example.

-Ian

:p

I thought it maybe useful, never claimed it to be mine, better effort than if I had made it up though :D