The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Most Powerful Nation..............

MichaelG

Did anyone see that young girl with the black eye at Heathrow Airport on the news today. Recounting her experiences, where the Thai man saved her life and when the second wave came in she found him dead. All the time, she was crying and you could feel the guilt in her through her experiences. Brought a tear to my eye just listening to her account of what happened........ :cry:

£250Million !!!! .....They also are sending in 1500 Marines to help with distribution....good to see them saving people rather than killing people...

We can do our bit too I'm amazed how much us the British public raised.

I passed a house today in Kingsbury where they were taking in clothes for the disaster areas...it brought a tear to my eye to see so many cars lined up offloading bags of clothes and toys etc for the children and adults there...so did a clear out at home and went back...will take some more stuff tommorow too...though knowing my dress sence they will prob send them back he he.

My Brother has friends out in Phuket that run a flying school and a Hotel luckily hes managed to contact them and they are alive and well....

What a really depressing start to the New Year i hope the aid gets to them as fast as possible and they manage to rebuild their lives one day.

Lets all continue to do our bit to help....we owe to ourselfs......mankind.

It's a terrible terrible tradgedy but it's no-one fault. A lot of those areas are flood plains or forresty areas and were covered in trees before they were cleared and built on, it's a shame they weren't more strongly educated about that dangers it could create.

One clip I saw was a father and child grasping onto an object while that water washed past them and the child lost grip and was washed away- that was awful. :(

Just been catching up with mates at work. One of the guys sisters and boyfriend were in the Maldives. Apparently the fact that there was a correl reef in from where the wave hit managed to take a lot of the momentum out of the wave... she said one couple were in their honeymoon sweet and basically the jacussi just came flying through the bedroom wall and the floor boards just exploded upwards.. pretty scary. They managed to hang onto trees until the water level subsised.

I'm sure that we will hear more harrowing stories in the near future but also tales of extreme survival. My friend also has family missing out there so it is having an effect on everyone. For anyone to survive that sort of destruction is amazing in itself..... :respekt: to all those holiday makers that have stayed on to help out. Any help is needed at this time. My X wife is from Thailand so I have a special connection with the place. Phuket and that area of South Thailand is probably one of the most beautiful places in the world, so see it destroyed like that is destressing......... :(

Sometimes the company I work for is great.

So far they've donated 2 million pounds and whatever medical supplies and aid that are suitable.

They are also matching employee donations on a pound for pound basis.

At least one member of staff lost their life out there.

Sometimes the company I work for is great.

So far they've donated 2 million pounds and whatever medical supplies and aid that are suitable.

They are also matching employee donations on a pound for pound basis.

At least one member of staff lost their life out there.

I think that's a really nice and good gesture. Is it a UK or US company?? I'd like to see mine do that. They're too busy buying up everyone and anything to have money to do that.

Surely as the amount of devastation becomes known the countries can assess how much aide will be needed , our Gov and prob the US made their first pledge straight away at the same time that Sky were saying 1600 people have been killed , as that figure has risen and the damage become more obvious so the Money has had to go up , or would you prefer that we and all the other 'wealthy' countries just gave a massive amount straight away ???? Interesting how everyone moaning about how little we / USA have given havent found it strange that the govt hasnt got any money to sort out many problems we have at home !!! Im sure there are plenty of people needing hip etc operations and having to wait 5 years in agony absolutley chuffed to bits the govt apparently has £50 million hanging around it can give away at the drop of a hat !!!! That should be crux of this thread not how much is given !!!, of just as much help would be sending the navys/armies of the world to help clear up and rebuild rather than some contractors getting paid out of this donation money , how long would it take some battleships to get there with trained men ???

Dude

I agree completely, and was just about to post something similar when I read your post. We have a health service in shambles and are unable to provide adequate care for our own sick and injured yet we can conjure up ~£50 million to help out some other country. Where does this money come from?

I think that's a really nice and good gesture. Is it a UK or US company?? I'd like to see mine do that. They're too busy buying up everyone and anything to have money to do that.

Mainly US, although it's multinational really. Head office is in the US.

Well they have just closed one site, cut back others and laid a load of people off but I suppose it comes from a different budget or something!! :confused:

It's a terrible terrible tradgedy but it's no-one fault.

Perhaps the people who decided the Tsunami early warning system didnt need to be in place - 10 hours would have been the warning window if there was a system in place - that could have saved a lot of people :(