The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Most Powerful Nation..............

MichaelG

................the USA Supposedly...............have yet again brought shame on themselves with their pitiful donation to the Asian Tsunami Disaster Plea.............

The UK Government has donated an inital £45m, Japan £20m, The EU approx £20m and Australia £12m, while one of the largest nations in the world, soaked in money and self indulgence have donated a pitiful, atrocious and shockingly embarrassing £19m.

This is a country that constantly harps on about "God Bless America" etc..........well where are they when others need the same faith at times of disaster.

I personally find it disgusting that they donate such a pathetic amount, but can spend £200 million + on searching for a Bearded Warlord and launching warheads ! Pathetic.

And George Bush denies "strenuously" that the USA are being "stingey" with their help...............oh so we see................

I have a very close personal friend, originally from Sri Lanka, whos parents still living there, have been moved from their home as a precaution and are living right now in a Primary School hall and having to spend New Year standing in a queue for some fresh water and blankets. The UK has a lot to be proud of just now, with news of an estimated £1m an hour in donations coming in. Have a great New Year everyone and please all remember how lucky we really are. :thumbs:

God bless all those involved and who died.

Michael

I have to say that I'm in total agreement. What a Fcuking disgrace after them bleeting on about the twin towers and all that. It's a total and utter disgrace. Including this government until they bloody realised that the British people had piled in more than them .... Ben :respekt:

knowin Bush, he's probably thinkin of invading these countries while they're struggling! i think it's shocking that the US is spending $5billion (!) a month (according to the Telegraph) keepin the troops in Iraq, they will only give up that much in AID! think they should be ashamed of themselves, im skint my self but we're donating!

Just watched this - some of the most harrowing scenes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_4130000/newsid_4133800/nb_wm_4133887.stm

I pray for the mothers and fathers who have lost their precious children and for all who have lost their loved ones

:cry: did anyone see the front page of the Mirror? showed the wave coming in and everyone running away apart from a mother who was runnin towards the wave to get her kids..... :cry:

:cry: did anyone see the front page of the Mirror? showed the wave coming in and everyone running away apart from a mother who was runnin towards the wave to get her kids..... :cry:

Just watched some footage , i think from Thailand and it seemed a bit sureal as behind the wave were 2 jetskis whizing along the coast , one of my mates that i dive with goes out all the time and knows loads fo people so far he hasnt managed to contact any , another that i dive with who was there is still missing , i think he's gone forever !!!

Dude

Im sure i heard a minister from one of the countries saying the US had pledged 220 million !!!! the largest amount ever donated !!!!

Dude :blonde:

They were supposedly "upping" their donation. Dont know if its happened yet. But you can guarantee its because they were shamed into doing it and not cos they wanted to.

But would they have upped their donation if other countries hadn' increased theirs? It seems like the US are driven by what they are perceived as and not what us just.

If they thought 250m was the correct figure to give in the first place why wait for other countries to increase what they give before upping their own contribution.Ok the disaster may be worse than initially thought but their seems to be a huge margin between what was initially pledged and what ihas been given now.

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the amount of devastation it has caused. In the news its just horiffic, I'm not sure whether the shock is due to the realisation of how powerless we really are, or the distressing pictures of people who have lost their loved ones......

I have a panoramic view of one of Phi Phi beaches on my wall when I went there back in 03.............

from this

to this

what's it all about??? My thoughts to the families of those affected by this tragedy

I think the saddest thing i have seen of this was tonight on Sky News, a Sri Lankan father with his two dead children lying on the grass in front of him. He gently lifted his sons head and cradled him in his arms, in tears. The boy was no older than 5-6 years old, and the second child about the same.

Dont think i will ever get that piece of video out of my mind now that i have seen it.

I seriously hope that President Bush is exposed to that video, and feels utterly ashamed at his countrys pathetic initial attempt at a foreign aid donation. Sorry but i am just very opinionated on this. I am sure the american people are just as sorry as those in Britain, but their government and President stink. Its 90% take........... 10% give.

But your right, some day they will expect the money back. C*nts.

But would they have upped their donation if other countries hadn' increased theirs? It seems like the US are driven by what they are perceived as and not what us just.

If they thought 250m was the correct figure to give in the first place why wait for other countries to increase what they give before upping their own contribution.Ok the disaster may be worse than initially thought but their seems to be a huge margin between what was initially pledged and what ihas been given now.

but our initial contribution was three and fourpence -- the US aren't always the bad guys

Just a thought, the Yanks could contribute some of the cash that New Yorkers raised for the IRA before they were on the receiving end of terrorism on 9/11?

Paul

They won't want to hear that or the fact that they welcomed a certain Mr G

Adams to NY within days of 9/11 on a fundraising speech bash

Surely as the amount of devastation becomes known the countries can assess how much aide will be needed , our Gov and prob the US made their first pledge straight away at the same time that Sky were saying 1600 people have been killed , as that figure has risen and the damage become more obvious so the Money has had to go up , or would you prefer that we and all the other 'wealthy' countries just gave a massive amount straight away ???? Interesting how everyone moaning about how little we / USA have given havent found it strange that the govt hasnt got any money to sort out many problems we have at home !!! Im sure there are plenty of people needing hip etc operations and having to wait 5 years in agony absolutley chuffed to bits the govt apparently has £50 million hanging around it can give away at the drop of a hat !!!! That should be crux of this thread not how much is given !!!, of just as much help would be sending the navys/armies of the world to help clear up and rebuild rather than some contractors getting paid out of this donation money , how long would it take some battleships to get there with trained men ???

Dude