The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is it alright to do this

renegade

just want to say put wd40 on my brakes .to pervent the rust setting i and it did work as wd40 does not contain silicone .

as i had the supra out on sunday brakes worked fine:p

Why though? If I don't drive her for a day or two after washing her, the disks are covered with a film of rust. As soon as you use the brakes, that's removed straight away. I'd rather simply press the brakes to remove it than "hope" the WD40 is as easily removed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah this can turn into a nasty mess. When the very first E model Chinook came over from the states on a boat the clever ass's at boeing coated the discs in a corrosion inhibitor ie wd40 or similar idea. As they towed the aircraft off the boat down the gang plank the weight of the aircraft started to push the tractor down the slope. They put the tractor brakes on but it kept pushing and started sliding on the smooth surface heading into a jack knife. The technician on the aircraft brakes stamped on the brake pedals. Nothing happened as the discs were lubricated. The very first E model chinook into the UK almost ended up in the drink. Jack knifing and hitting something over the gang plank saved it from going over.

Ok, WD40 is a blend of light hydrocarbons i.e OIL. Brake pads soak up things like this so in my opinion its only a matter of time before they dont work when you really want them too.

Anyway WD evaporates so you'll be back to rusty discs again, Why not remove them & sit the car on stands keeps the strain off the tyres and suspension.

What it means Jake, is "I'll ask if something deeply stupid sounding, like oiling my brakes, is a good idea or not, observe the large number of emphatic "NO!!" responses, the zero amount of "yes" responses, and then go and do it anyway".

I wonder if he's got an earthing kit, an ebay resistor, and a magnet round the fuel line ;)

-Ian

I think it means that the most stupid persons on this planet manage somehow to find the most ingenious methods and go to huge lengths to do the most incredibly stupid things. Some of the things that are so clearly stupid are in their implementation also incredibly difficult and need some genius thought processes to occur, that or pure coincidence and chance happenings rolling into a mother of all f*ck ups

This is my favourite thread at the moment. Not for the stupidity of the original question but for the way the thread was resurrected in a "ner ner na ner ner" type of way!!

Priceless!!:D

Now, am I ok to wash my car with a brillow pad and go at the tar marks with a wire brush??

H.

I'm sure it'd be ok to use WD40 on the brake discs as long as you take the pads out & replace them with sponges for the first few miles of driving when its back on the road.

(please don't try this.... you'll die!! Its just a p*ss take)

as you are all having a dig at what i have done it's not like i'm saying go out and put wd40 on the discs every day it was just put a coating on over the discs, it more the fact that the car is outside on the drive and being close to the sea there is alot of salt air.

have spoke to a few people in the area and they do it to as know of a couple of guy who do it to there motor bike as there not used in the winter

This is my favourite thread at the moment. Not for the stupidity of the original question but for the way the thread was resurrected in a "ner ner na ner ner" type of way!!

Priceless!!:D

Now, am I ok to wash my car with a brillow pad and go at the tar marks with a wire brush??

H.

My mum had a go at the tar on my Corsa with some oven cleaner once :blink: I was blissfully unaware of what exactly she was using. The paint is still fubar'd down the passenger side now :(

:search: Haven't seen that. :search:

New Years resolution bud.:D

If there was a meet this weekend, she'd be mostly clean for it! :D

*goes to buy two buckets and a hose pipe....*