Is the NA really that bad?

Guest acid667

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that mean you disagree with :-

Originally Posted by Gazboy

Yeah alright, better (and faster) than an all show-no go "I bought it cos it looks nice" N/A Supra.

this guy need a lesson in manners, I have never met nor would be interested in a self opinionated pratt like this. I may drive a NA, but that is a Choice, if I wanted a TT, I would go out pay cash and buy 1, after all it would only cost me some money and there are plenty of people on here who would be able to sell me a TT. Be in the club a bit longer, get to know people before you slag them off. It isn't right. he CHOSE a TT, I don't like nor want a TT, there has always been a bit of fun between NA and TT drivers, but the words have always been from members of this forum who have been around for a bit. I can take a joke like the rest of us, and often take part in and am the butt of joking around but F*ck this is just piss taking from a stranger !!

:soap: you aint worthy to sit in the same company as me !

On another note, Jake, got any Door Cards going spare !!

No, it doesn't. I can't really say I understand where your coming from with that comment though.

I drive an NA, brother drives the TT so we have heated discussions on this all the time :D . As far as Iam concerned I could have afforded the TT but decided against for several reasons, Firstly the NA I found was clean, sound and excellent value, and secondly it was an Aerotop, I also feel a well looked after NA is still more reliable than the TT.

I would like to add however that NA or TT the Supe is a fantastic car and I have witnessed some spirited driving from the NA and TT guys :respekt:

Surely the choice of whether you buy the NA or TT is based on what you want/ or can afford. Just enjoy the car for what it is, STUNNING :thanks:

NA, TT, Aero, Hard top, UK Spec, Jap Spec, Fully modded, lightly modded, Standerd, Auto, Manual, facelift, prefacelift.

Who cares they are all a Supra! Buy it, drive it, enjoy it...........

Works for me..... :D

HeeHee there you go oh and lucky sod....... :giveup:

Does this seem to anyone else a bit like the BM owners arguing over the M3 vs a 330ci?

At the end of the day they're both crap! :p

And try telling an MGB owner that the MGV8 is a better car!!!

Also e-type owners are good, I prefer the series 1.5 as I think it's looks the best, but I think it's the series 3 which was actually the fastest (V12?) - but the engine in it was crap!!

Basically what I'm saying is STOP arguing about which Supra is better - they're all Supras!!!

Guest chiefvinso

I considered the NA before opting for the TT6 but this was only cos I have always wanted one and that was initially on its looks. I disagree that the NA is more reliable unless there are hard facts/stats that tell me different. Any car can bugger up at any time and toyotas are pretty reliable as a whole.

The biggest weak point on the TT (IMHO) are the turbo's especially on the jspec's, since we have to be honest, these cars are getting old, and turbo's don't last forever...

As such the biggest fault on the TT's are the turbos, whereas the NA's don't have any of that..

The engines are almost identical the differences being

1. Turbos

2. ECU

3. Oil squirters on the TT

4. Head differences

Apart from that the block is the same..

I've seen NAs being ragged senseless and still good to go home, whereas I've seen TT's having to limp home because of the turbo's spitting blades down the cats..

But at the end of the day, the choice is yours and you should buy which ever YOU want.. YOU are the only one who will be driving it..

Gav

Guest chiefvinso

I agree, but the car is designed with that in mind, each car is different and every cars part will fail at some point in its life (depending on maintenance, luck). Just cos a car has a turbo doesnt mean its less reliable than a NA - thats all I'm trying to say.

Like Gav said, the fact that the TT engine has turbos does make it a little less reliable than a NA. If you have been on supraforums.com you will see the number of times people complain about busted turbos. Generally, the 2JZ engines do not fail unless they have been upgraded to single and pushed very hard or some problem involving running very lean. Turbochargers have high wear and tear due to the speed at which they operate at. However, if a TT has never been BPU'd the turbo's should hold up much longer.

Like Gav said, the fact that the TT engine has turbos does make it a little less reliable than a NA. If you have been on supraforums.com you will see the number of times people complain about busted turbos. Generally, the 2JZ engines do not fail unless they have been upgraded to single and pushed very hard or some problem involving running very lean. Turbochargers have high wear and tear due to the speed at which they operate at. However, if a TT has never been BPU'd the turbo's should hold up much longer.
I'd go along with this. I think it might be a fair assumption that most of the TT cars that fail their turbos have been BPU'd, which IMHO puts you outside of the testing that Toyota would have done to ensure that the turbo installation was durable for "normal" use.

I wouldn't be 100% certain that the NA engine was the same as the TT one, either. The block and head structure will be the same, and the cooling and lube circuits will be similar (apart from the lack of oil cooler and turbo coolant feeds on the NA). But OEMs like to scrimp and save wherever they can and I wouldn't be surprised if the NA ran different bearings or something equally daft and unexpected.

So does that mean you disagree with :-

Originally Posted by Gazboy

Yeah alright, better (and faster) than an all show-no go "I bought it cos it looks nice" N/A Supra.

this guy need a lesson in manners, I have never met nor would be interested in a self opinionated pratt like this. I may drive a NA, but that is a Choice, if I wanted a TT, I would go out pay cash and buy 1, after all it would only cost me some money and there are plenty of people on here who would be able to sell me a TT. Be in the club a bit longer, get to know people before you slag them off. It isn't right. he CHOSE a TT, I don't like nor want a TT, there has always been a bit of fun between NA and TT drivers, but the words have always been from members of this forum who have been around for a bit. I can take a joke like the rest of us, and often take part in and am the butt of joking around but F*ck this is just piss taking from a stranger !!

Good rant, until you said:

:soap: you aint worthy to sit in the same company as me !

Which made you sound like a 12 year old.

Regarding the pisstaking from newbies- do we get a special card- an advanced members pack, if you will - at 6 months/1 year/ 2 years that say "you may now take the piss"????

LOL at you p*ssies. The heat is obviously getting to some folks this week. I like my supe for no other reason than it looks the bollox and my roof comes off. I had a choice between a TT hardtop and an N/A aero top exactly the same age and price for the first one I bought. I went for the aero. I guess looking at it I would also have bought a kitted alloyed N/A over a stock TT at the time as well. I moved up to a TT aero when I could afford it and when I had learned to drive the N/A properly. On that note I will say that I felt more confident in my ability to drive the N/A than I do in my BPU TT. If you doubt the merit of an N/A then explain to me why TT's at both Silverstone and Castle Coombe stayed firmly behind me. I also showed a BPU TT a very clean set of heels on the way home from an event once. Don't get me wrong I love my TT and am now in straight line terms bored of its accelerative abilities, but when I get it in corners I still have so much to learn.

Guest supraiggy

N/A's are more reliable than TT's ;), in general. They have a better running history even stock for stock than the TT. But both suffer from inherent problems.

The n/a is no slug, how can it be?? 168KW compared to 206 or whatever it is, really isn't a big difference. Where the N/A suffers is power loss through the drivetrain but if you spend a bit of time and money working on it an N/A can become a bit of a weapon. Mine is currently at 130rwkw and I surprise turbo cars all the time. Didnt take a whole lot to get it there either. Like some of the guys mentioned there are many benefits in having a car with a straight line power delivery. The car is more predictable and therefore easier to push harder.

Between the 3 cars originaly posted I would have gone the GT4 if I was after performance (wouldn't waste much time with the mr2) but if you want a taste of both worlds, i.e. looks and performance, the n/a supra will offer that. It's powerfull, just as beautfiul as its TT counterpart and so damn reliable. It's just an awesome all round car.

N/A's are more reliable than TT's ;), in general. They have a better running history even stock for stock than the TT. But both suffer from inherent problems.

The n/a is no slug, how can it be?? 168KW compared to 206 or whatever it is, really isn't a big difference. Where the N/A suffers is power loss through the drivetrain but if you spend a bit of time and money working on it an N/A can become a bit of a weapon. Mine is currently at 130rwkw and I surprise turbo cars all the time. Didnt take a whole lot to get it there either. Like some of the guys mentioned there are many benefits in having a car with a straight line power delivery. The car is more predictable and therefore easier to push harder.

Between the 3 cars originaly posted I would have gone the GT4 if I was after performance (wouldn't waste much time with the mr2) but if you want a taste of both worlds, i.e. looks and performance, the n/a supra will offer that. It's powerfull, just as beautfiul as its TT counterpart and so damn reliable. It's just an awesome all round car.

I think you'll find that the canyon between the torque figures of a TT to NA is where the performnce difference actually lies.

I have owned both and think they are both exceelent cars for different reasons. N/A's are okay if at the right revs in the right gear, otherwise new Vectra diesels will keep up on acceleration until the NA gets on song.

And please don't give me 'it's faster than most things on the road' when actually it isn't. Most crappy hot hatches have the same power (or very close) to an NA Supra.

It cracks me up all these poeple saying I didn't buy a NA for its power, I could have bought a TT if I wanted to blah, blah, blah, and then turn round and say 'its faster than most things on the road' and 'its not much slower than a TT' :shrug:

Guest chiefvinso

Now that I am a member I can post - its been a long weekend and I wanted to get my say in on this. IMO stock for stock toyota are not going to design a car that is less reliable than their NA version. They would be thrashing the arse of the TT for some time and improving on any faults that they findI agree that when you modify stock components that you decrease the life expectancy, but overall any engine component can fail on any type of car like for like (sods law).

All we can do is take good care and maintain the cars as best as possible and accept the fact that both the na and tt can play up and unless someone can show me factual toyota reports stating that the na is more reliable then stock for stock they are as reliable as the owner can keep them.

The main reason for me feeling strongly on this is that I have owned other turbo cars and never had any turbo faults or major faults and I know they boy who bought it from me and its still running on the same turbo and he doesnt maintain the car like I did (uses crappy oil, doesnt change for ages etc.) and its a rover 220 turbo coupe.

Both cars are the same, beautiful and just as reliable as each other.

and its a rover 220 turbo coupe.

That's cos it's a Honda engine :eyebrows: I had one too, absolutely everything broke on the car that could possibly break, except the engine and turbo's.

Turbo's are a mechanical part of the car like any other, and like any other part, if maintained properly don't have any more reason to fail provided there also kept standard.

Even more so if they are stronger steel bladed versions supplied with the UK cars (as much as it pains me to admit it :taped: )