The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the NA really that bad?

Guest acid667

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest acid667

I just double checked my insurance quotes and I'm waiting to hear from Adrian Flux but Admiral have given me a good one!

12 months fully comp on a TT (definately mk4 and definately an import)

£500 excess,

With 4 years NCB - protected

£909.30

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :

Guest stormblue

I was in the same dilema 4 months back either a gt4 or sup n/a!

I bought the supra because i always wanted one and couldnt afford a TT. I am really pleased with the supra but if im really honest i do wish i bought the gt4. The gt4 is a great motor out the box, super strut 4wd, and turbo with plenty of scope to modify.

Never, underestimate the n/a sup rwd as i nearly wrote it of in 4 hours of buying it. Also note it does not come with traction control which should emphasise the importance of good tyres and sort out the tracking and camber.

However, the supra is the best looking car of the two, which at times makes up for the loss in performance.

Unless your a hairdresser dont buy a mr2.

Dont buy a supra tt for less than approximately £8500-9000 minimum as they are normal dogs notwithstanding the one on this thread for sale, as i cant comment.

PS. Any n/a owner like myself who say they are happy with their car and glad they didnt buy the tt are lying!!!

Unless your a hairdresser dont buy a mr2.

Common cliche. If you drove a rev.3 MR-2 Turbo you'd soon see it's an excellent car and soon realise your average hairdresser couldn't keep one on the road long enough to be noticed lol. A real drivers car IMO.

Cheers,

Brian.

I know your right. I have driven a modified turbo'd mr2 and they are a great drivers car but apparently so is an mx5 but would you have one?

If there was a man's engine option, definately! The MR-2 is available with a man's engine (turbo'd I mean) and even with the NA motor there's a lot more useable power in the MR-2. The MX-5 has terrific handling though and excellent stock adjustability in the suspension.

Cheers,

Brian.

PS. Any n/a owner like myself who say they are happy with their car and glad they didnt buy the tt are lying!!!

I'm definately glad I bought an NA first. Gets you used to the rear wheel performance. I'd have certainly killed myself had I bought a TT first :innocent:

Then again I thought I should've got an NA but I actually drive slower in the Supe than any other car I've had - must be the superman principle (i.e.: Superman wouldn't run in the 100m cos it'd be pointless).

Or maybe it's because I'm a showoff and love people stopping and staring!!

Anyone who's ever blown an IC pipe off will know that a TT with no boost is very sluggish indeed - so yeah, exactly like a NA :p :p :p.

Seriously though, the first time I popped an IC pipe I was horrified. It felt like the engine was only running on 4 cylinders. I thought I was in for a complete engine rebuild. I was sooo relieve when PaulE told me to calm down and check the IC ducting down by the battery.

No a TT engine has a lot lower compression compared to an NA, plus different fuel/timing maps, which means if the turbos are not working the car is extremely sluggish and feels more like a 1.3L.

Thanks Nic, that was my reason for asking. When I had my IC piping come off, the car was dreadfully slow and I felt really sorry for any N/A owners. Listening to N/A owners talk about how *quick* their cars are based on my experience without turbo's was making me scoff a little, but that clears it up, cheers :)

Thanks Nic, that was my reason for asking. When I had my IC piping come off, the car was dreadfully slow and I felt really sorry for any N/A owners. Listening to N/A owners talk about how *quick* their cars are based on my experience without turbo's was making me scoff a little, but that clears it up, cheers :)

PMSL! :donkey:

I dunno when I put mine in parralel turbo mode the acceleration at low revs feels very similar to the acceleration to be had in my old N/A

• 5 months later...
Guest my93supra

hey guys i just bought a 93 NA auto supra traga top i bought it for 2 reasons im 18 and insurance was gonna be out the roof for me a tt considering im on SR22 form already all tickets no wrecks, well i want to do a TT swap i can buy the complete engine/turbos/transmission ECU and complete harness for 2g from a friend i can do it myself the swap but i spoke with someone that said i would have to change out the entire driveshaft but other people who has completed the swap said 2jzgte tranny will bolt right up but i wanna be sure before i sink 2g in it and i have to sink abnother 2 g in the drive shaft.

hey guys i just bought a 93 NA auto supra traga top i bought it for 2 reasons im 18 and insurance was gonna be out the roof for me a tt considering im on SR22 form already all tickets no wrecks, well i want to do a TT swap i can buy the complete engine/turbos/transmission ECU and complete harness for 2g from a friend i can do it myself the swap but i spoke with someone that said i would have to change out the entire driveshaft but other people who has completed the swap said 2jzgte tranny will bolt right up but i wanna be sure before i sink 2g in it and i have to sink abnother 2 g in the drive shaft.

Honestly, dont bother mate, it WILL cost you more than selling and buying a TT aerotop. It just aint worth the aggro.

my93supra...

Dude, I've done the engine swap thing, and it is a damn good project IF you have got the time and the inclination and are prepared for set backs... You do have the added advantage of the satisfaction that you have done the work.. As far as being cheaper doing it that way...keep dreaming... an engine swap is not the cheapest way to do things...

I ended up swopping EVERYTHING other than the bodyshell pretty much

Gav

WTF!!! Who where?

I'm on £1500 with THE ONLY company that would insure me on a j-spec TT6!!! And believe me I asked EVERYONE!!!

I'm 23 with 6 years NCB!! Park on the drive with NO recorded street crime in my area (road's only 6 years old!!). Surely a decat and bodykit can't add THAT much to the cost?

same but with 5 years no claims and im paying £1300 :cry: