The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AFR's - Talk to me

Matt H

Had an AEM wideband gauge installed yesterday, displays some lovely digital numbers, which im so so clued up on but was just wanting to establish a clearer picture about what im reading.

E.g, what should there perfect readings be under various conditions, e.g, idle, normal driving and under load, and what should i be looking for if there is a problem.

Basically, i dummys guide to reading the AFR gauge

Ta

Matt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't sound like they spent too long mapping it if it's 10.5:1 most of the time and still goes as rich as 10:1 (maybe lower? I think that's the limit of the AEM gauge iirc)

Still, it's plenty safe... just kinda defeats the point of having an aftermarket ECU IMO.

Lower number means richer BTW.

Cheers,

Brian.

Still, it's plenty safe... just kinda defeats the point of having an aftermarket ECU IMO.

I thought that a stock ecu wouldnt supply enough fuel for higher boosts. An after market one you can program it to change that. after all its because my car was running to lean it blew in the first place

I suspect Brian means that an aftermarket ECU can normally maintain very accurate AFRs, and get closer to the 'ideal' so it seems odd that its been left really rich in many places, like a half arsed map.

Yeah its safe, but there is safe and then there is wrapped in bubble wrap with a big cotton wool blanket and a large box safe... Could possibly be losing power

i am busy learning all this, i bought a book called building and tuning high preormance Electronic fule injection by ben strader.

i've learnt so much, i've just finished tuning maps and basic engine calibration, next step is AEM and Motec , i need to get a laptop and get my hands dirty but there's so much to learn i'm considering doing some Motec course's.

any one here got any tips on where to learn more, any advise or help would be great :D

10.5 is still safe.

i've learnt that standard is round 12.2 - 12.5: however under high boost levels you should give your engine lots of attention as you will need to run allot richer also around 30psi it's not uncommon to see arf of 10.5:1, but you need to have a well serviced engine, and should keep an eye on your spark plugs... is that right?