The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much difference is there? BPU vs Standard?

MaRkYbOy72

Any ideas why mine still won't go above 1 bar ?

It's more than before going BPU but it won't go any further...

It's probably due to the twin tailpipe exhaust you have fitted, it may be more restrictive and thus limiting boost. Fit a boost controller if you want to raise the boost a little further.

Do you have any pics of the exhaust from underneath or off the car? Do you still have stock fuel tank? Interested to see how it is fabricated to fit.

It's probably due to the twin tailpipe exhaust you have fitted, it may be more restrictive and thus limiting boost. Fit a boost controller if you want to raise the boost a little further.

Do you have any pics of the exhaust from underneath or off the car? Do you still have stock fuel tank? Interested to see how it is fabricated to fit.

Thanks for that Nic -I'll get some pictures done, it still has the stock tank - any recommendations for type of boost controller ?

Also, can fitting one do any harm at all ?

Thanks for that Nic -I'll get some pictures done, it still has the stock tank - any recommendations for type of boost controller ?

Also, can fitting one do any harm at all ?

I'd recommend any of the Blitz range (depends how much you want to spend) or the new HKS EVC VI. I personally use the HKS EVC VI.

You'll do no harm as such fitting a boost controller ( although saying that if you increase the boost/power then you obviously put more strain on the turbos and engine).

At BPU levels I had mine limited to 1bar and then used an EBC to raise the boost. This gives you much more control, also a decent boost controller will help spool up the turbos quicker and allow peak boost through each gear.

If you'd like prices for any of these just let me know.

BLITZ Dual SBC Spec R

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electonic/dual_sbc/images/d-sbc_r_top.jpg

BLITZ SBC-ID III

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electonic/boost_ctr/image/sbc_id/sbcid_image.jpg

BLITZ SBC i-Color

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electonic/iColor_series/image/sbcic/sbcic_image.jpg

HKS EVC VI

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/evc-header.jpg

just a guess here but from what i can see, it has a few tight bends that will restrict the air flow which is building back pressure?

Yep, that sounds like the most likely cause - Nic says a Boost Controller will solve the problem, so fair enough, I just have to decide which one to have -

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
To get bpu, you obviously need to take both cats off, yet come mot time you need at 1 at least one on the car to pass emissions.. correct? isnt this just an annoyance every year and what do you guys do to get around this

I believe people keep hold of the second cat come MOT time. However, there are a few on here that get through MOT's with no cats fitted.

You should be fine, if your car is pre 08/1995 import, then your car doesn't need a cat test ;)

My local MOT station, in a general conversation stated that early cats on 90-95 cars were not reliable enough, as a result they are/should generally be ignored unlike anything after this date where the CATS are strictly tested.

I'm following this thread closely, I have a stock (except cat back s/s exhasut) UK TT. I would like to know exactly which parts I need to go for BPU but I do not want to risk harming the turbo's by whacking the boost upto silly levels. If I could get around 370-400bhp I'd be happy. (Can the UK TT auto box handle this?)

does anyone have a drag strip video of stock vs bpu? i think that would be a good indication of the performance difference

This is the closest I can find. A 360PS (about 350bhp) Supra TT 6 speed vs the new V8 M3 with Sabine Schmitz.