The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrids 550bhp ?

Supra-Dupra

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thor's dyno? :D

Their figures are a joke! and you know it ;)

Their figures may :eyebrows: be a tad on the high side but when the next car put straight on after mine on any dyno puts a lower number out especially a hub dyno that doesn't have tyre pressures, traction etc to affect the readings then that car has less power :D Thats my story and I am sticking to it :innocent: In fact the following two cars that went on the dyno that day had hybrids and my power was higher.

Their figures may :eyebrows: be a tad on the high side but when the next car put straight on after mine on any dyno puts a lower number out especially a hub dyno that doesn't have tyre pressures, traction etc to affect the readings then that car has less power :D Thats my story and I am sticking to it :innocent: In fact the following two cars that went on the dyno that day had hybrids and my power was higher.

what did you get on THORs dyno?

Given the turbos can only flow so much air, then having massive octane fuel can get a higher figure, it unrealistic though makes an interesting dyno sheet. Trying for 550 on stock twins, you'd need to try letting the turbos run at full boost (approx 22psi) with the highest octance fuel you could get. I think a guy on Supraforums has done this.

what did you get on THORs dyno?

The print out on Thors dyno said 395 bhp I think with 374 torques but I don't remember that bit. I believe on the same day the hy-brids put down Heckler 394 and another guy 380 something. Wayne aka supra dibbs did his that day as well and his hybrids didn't put out the oomph he was expecting.

Chief chap I don't think anyone is suggesting that stock twins could be capable of over 500 horses. I think whats being asked is can hybrids do the job. From what I have seen of them they don't seem to me to be worth the premium being payed for them.

The print out on Thors dyno said 395 bhp I think with 374 torques but I don't remember that bit. I believe on the same day the hy-brids put down Heckler 394 and another guy 380 something. Wayne aka supra dibbs did his that day as well and his hybrids didn't put out the oomph he was expecting.

Chief chap I don't think anyone is suggesting that stock twins could be capable of over 500 horses. I think whats being asked is can hybrids do the job. From what I have seen of them they don't seem to me to be worth the premium being payed for them.

guessing hub hp... my dyno sheet from THOR was 407bhp @ 1.2bar and the car ow runs 1.4 bar :D

Thats seems to me to be the only advantage of hybrids. Stockers wouldn't last very long at 1.4 bar :D And yes hub hp but I personally think that figure is actually the calculated fly HP with a 20% loss incorporated for an auto box.

I like the hybrids... 1.4bar has quite a kick :D

Speaking of stock twins, the UKSpec ones can be pushed rather hard if done right.:cool:

Not sure about ceramics though, haven't experimented with those.

Wouldn't bother with hybrids, all the weight and complexity, if you have to forgo the sequential, why not go single?

• 1 year later...

I had Hybrid set up before i went single:

Hybrid Turbos

Greddy 3 Row front mounted Intercooler

550'cc injectors

Greddy Emanage Blue

Walbro Fuel Pumps

Double De-cat pipes

Greddy Pully Kit

It was mapped to 451bhp...

In reality when i pulling with a BPU supra that was putting out around 410bhp we were neck and neck, i couldn't move away from him.

I was in no doubt that the mapping was bull. I reckon the 450 mark is attainable but nothing more.

Matt, that thread is talking about "real" hybrid's, not remanufactured stock turbos

So what's the definition of hybrid turbos? I think there is a cloud around what a hybrid is and needs ironing out.

I had stock turbos rebuilt with hybrid internals?! :search: surely that's a hybrid turbo. What are you refering to?

So what's the definition of hybrid turbos? I think there is a cloud around what a hybrid is and needs ironing out.

I had stock turbos rebuilt with hybrid internals?! :search: surely that's a hybrid turbo. What are you refering to?

It's just a loose term to say that the internals have been changed. However the one on that old thread on supraforums is a world apart from the sort of hybrid that companies like envy sell, it uses a GT28 turbo.

I'd like to see someone try this in the UK, would be good to see if they live up to the 500 bhp hype.

It's just a loose term to say that the internals have been changed. However the one on that old thread on supraforums is a world apart from the sort of hybrid that companies like envy sell, it uses a GT28 turbo.

I'd like to see someone try this in the UK, would be good to see if they live up to the 500 bhp hype.

That sounds much better. If i knew about that when i was having hybrids fitted then i would have definately tried that if it's practicable over here.

From what i've gathered, the only thing Envy style hyrbids offer is the ability to up the boost higher than stock without the internals going.

Two years later, my view still is: if you want bang for your buck, the next step after a mildly boosted stock setup should be a single (properly mapped of course).

I wouldn't bother with hybrids/rebuilds/stage n contraptions, anything unaccompanied by a compressor map is not worth much in my book. Certainly not worth the aggro of fiddling with the exhaust nuts.

HKS CAMP

You plug it into your ECU and it has an output for an A/V screen so you can visual display Throttle, injector cycle etc via HKS GUI (Graphical User interface)

Basically a fancy GUI, for your in-car 3.5" screen to show off to your friends

similar GUI to the New Skyline but no where near as nice

Expensive gadget too

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)