The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra vs Focus ST

Metallikev

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is alot of money to spend. Even a second hand RS would cost a bob or two never mind after spending that little lot on it.( I would guess over 20K anyway). You could get alot more car for that kinda money. Anyway enough of that rant. Are you going to have a play? and I agree that traction would be the RS's downfall. saying that the supra is poo in the wet :( I recently fitted RLTC and it made a massive difference to the amount of power you can put down when the roads are a little damp but I think there are two many factors to say which is the fastest car. The only way to tell is to have ago, good luck if you do. Just remember that yours probably cost over half of his and looks better. (I think it will be a draw)

Guest Jason-B

OK, to lay this to rest, i work for Dagenham Motors and regularly drive and demo Focus ST's all day long, although the St is a fantascially "complete" car, no way in hell is it quicker than a Stock TT. A BPU car would simply destroy it. I have experience of both of these cars and the tt is deffo quicker.

OK, to lay this to rest, i work for Dagenham Motors and regularly drive and demo Focus ST's all day long, although the St is a fantascially "complete" car, no way in hell is it quicker than a Stock TT. A BPU car would simply destroy it. I have experience of both of these cars and the tt is deffo quicker.

Thanks Jason !!!

Finally after reading this whole thread someone has stated the bloody obvious. I was getting a little concerned that supra TT owners were going soft for a minute !!

1/4 mile time for...

Focus ST (1,392kgs, 222bhp) 15.06 secs @ 94.51 mph

Focus RS (1,278kgs, 212bhp) 14.87 secs @ 95.28 mph

Focus RS, ST... what ever its called it doesn't matter how you dress it up its still a shitty front wheel drive hatchback Ford with a tiddly 2.0L engine that produces as much power as one of the hand held fans you get from the pound shop that do feck all to cool you down.

Now i want to know when are they going to produce a 4 wheel drive focus with a tuned cossie lump in it - that may be worth questioning whether it can keep up with a Supra TT.....:search:

Ford make some of the best cars on the road and anyone who thinks otherwise aren't in touch with reality.

what do you mean by "best" ?

GT40 i can agree with but mondeo, ka, fiesta, focus etc....are you sure ? can you confidently say the engineering is as good as an Audi for example???

Ford make some of the best cars on the road and anyone who thinks otherwise aren't in touch with reality.

But a Supra and a fast Focus aren't in the same league when it comes to performance.

lol really? why did they loose 13 billion dollars last year, then rencently had to mortgage all their property and sak half the workforce.....?! because they make chuck away crap people are fed up of. too much part sharing, floorpan sharing and not enough spending on development. didnt rover do that once.....:rolleyes:

384bhp through the front wheels is a bit daft now isn't it? My friend has just built a DC2 integra with wiseco pistons and rods, a big turbo etc and will be running a similar figure. On all but the driest straightest roads I can't see it beeing able to put that power down. once it does mind it's going to be damn nippy!

Ok nice to see some supporters of Ford....for you who are really not that well informed the 14 million is mainly due to the us market the European market as keeping ford afloat.

And also agree supra and Focuses are in different leagues...

Going up to m-sport in a couple of weeks to do some work...now put a rally car up against a supe who will win then 0-60....yeah that's what i thought they are completely different!!

Sorry for the rant...blood boils when people are just guessing what a cars like...i have also driven most cars that ford make..it my job!

Just for the record i dont let people slag off supra's at work either...

384bhp through the front wheels is a bit daft now isn't it? My friend has just built a DC2 integra with wiseco pistons and rods, a big turbo etc and will be running a similar figure. On all but the driest straightest roads I can't see it beeing able to put that power down. once it does mind it's going to be damn nippy!

I agree. My guess is it'll just spin up through the gears, but if it can actually put the power down its going to be a hell of a different story!

i have a audi s3 and that thing is 4 wheel drive it beets my na supra and i have had an rs off the lights and carried on pulling and beat him. then my missus tells me she raced an rs focus and kicked the shit out of himm in the audi im sorry but i vote supra na or tt anyday sorry if im ranting but im pished.

Have you ever driven a Mondeo or Focus? ;)

Admittedly not the brand new mondeo but the older ones yes. I had an ST220 for a courtesy car for a few weeks (to be honest I couldn't wait to give it back), my friend has a 2004 1.8L Mondeo which I have driven and the reps at work all drive the Focus which I’ve borrowed from time to time too.

Me personally i don't like the seating position and the overall drive especially the focus' gear stick position and ergonomics of all the buttons etc - its horrible!. The look and function of the interior is ok its serves its purpose but boring and very plastic. The shape of the cars does absolutely nothing for me in the slightest, i can't look at any of the new range and say wow that looks amazing.

What bugs me is that their so called performance cars are exactly the same as there low budget cars but with some extra plastic stuck on and a slightly more powerful engine.

Compare for example the Fiesta Ghia with a Fiesta Sport, what exactly warrants the "sport" badge on it ? the fact that it has alloy wheels and white dials .....whoopee doo? i know its only a gimmic but surely thats miss selling ?

I suppose for the money they are ok (get what you pay for) and most of the time they do get you from A to B (even though its via C, D, E, and F) but i would much rather spend a little more on a German or Japanese car any day (or even the same amount but get an older plate) as in addition to looking/driving better they are renowned for superior reliability and engineering. - fact !

would you honestly rate a Mondeo over any of the following cars in its class..

3 Series BMW

Audi A4

VW Passat

Lexus IS

Merc C class

Thats obviously just my opinion and respect that everyone has their own different opinion. Fords have a huge following in this country especially here in Essex, cos of Dagenham Fords i suppose?, but i fail to see why ?

I am honestly curious, what make you say Fords have some of the best cars out there cos i really struggle to see it?

the only thing they make anymore more thats popular and keeps them afloat is the transit and other comercials, and even they are totally out classed by the competitors, their margins say it all. they ruined rangerover, aston, jag volvo, look at what these companys were before ford got them. they should of stuck with fiestas and vans. imo.

The new fords are excellent. I wanted a new mondeo but the cash went on the sup. People will always slag off the blue oval because of previous cars but since the focus came along their cars have just got better and better.

The focus has been the best family hatch for 10 years for god sake! The mondeo is easily the best all round saloon/hatch for that size and the fiesta aint doing half bad either. Guy i know had a newer style mondeo and traded it in against a passat. Now, i have no doubt the passat is better build quality etc but he absolutely hated it. He said it was nothing compared to his mondeo with regards to comfort and easy driveability. Traded the passat in against another mondeo and got some cash out of it into the bargain.

Anyway, onto the RS and the ST.

Come on guys, i smoked an RS in my MR2. Granted the power delivery is completely different in the Supra with regards to the MR2 and obviously the RS but once rolling the Sup would crush an RS and an ST. By rolling i don't mean doing 60, i mean after 20 lol.

Its really strange driving a Supra after being so used to an MR2. The MR2's power feels instant wheras the Supra's takes a bit of time. The thing is wheras the MR2 gives you that initial kick and tails off the supra just gets stronger and stronger.

TBH without slicks or some seriously mental top end torque (undrivable and unbelievable torque steer) i don't think there is a FWD car on the road that could keep with either of the cars in a straight line.

Can anyone think of any?

Scott =op

I've driven the A43 from the M40 to the M1 once with an ST trying it on after every roundabout, then slowing down before the next one, goading me into booting it. After a couple of roundabouts I decided to play and left him standing from about 20-30. Not really close at all. Just an orange blob in the wing mirror that slowly faded.