Rough estimate for respray

Tom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry as i say not digging at you but there is no way there could be 41 coats on it, not saying your lieing though, maybe they have miss informed you,

if there was 41 coats there would be so much material on the panel there wouldnt be a finish as it would pickle and sink, there is a set amount of paint to be applied to a panel, you cant just keep adding more as it would shrink and crack open into big splits, not to mention the fact it would never be able to set hard as the top layer would skin over and prevent the bottom layers from "breathing" (letting the thinners evaporate)

you would also have trouble with trim fittings and the handles would be very stiff,

im not saying this to wind you up, im sure they have done a good job, just trying to give you a heads up before you start telling people this at shows as anybody in the trade wont take you seriously, it seems to be a very "max power" thing to say you have a million coats of paint on your car at the moment :conf:

sorry if i have offended :thumbs::conf:

yes, the car was in the worksop for the last 3 months - having done all other things as well apart from painting - fitting new body kit, fixing the underbody lights, additional horns kit, traction control (fixing it after my accident this summer), having de-cat done at the mo and fitting flame kit, new battery, etc...

plus to make it at least a bit ready for the show - my guys worked very hard the last 2 days before that: till 9pm and on the night of show from 3am till 6 am, and it was them as well who orhanised the trailer for the car and came to pick me up at 6:30 am.

they worked hard and I dont really appreciate you guys having a go at me. The flick paint was applyed - and it took about 44 litres (about 4.5 - 5 gallons I guess) of paint to do so many coats and have the effect it has now. And I guess the flick has different structure than normal paint. (Thank u Supragal for logical thinking :-)

But in the end of the day - thats ur opinion, and Im the one who's got the facts.

:cool:

Originally posted by Bobbeh

For a decent job £3k+

Tom, please dont tell me your new motor needs one!

Or are you thinking crazy things?! :D

It needs a good t-cut, but I might do a respray some time when I fit new bodyparts, it will be done in it's original colour.

Originally posted by SupraWoman

The flick paint was applyed - and it took about 44 litres (about 4.5 - 5 gallons I guess) of paint to do so many coats and have the effect it has now. And I guess the flick has different structure than normal paint.

44 litres, thats 10 GALLONS :eek:

I'm not sure of the price of chromaflair/harlequin paint these days, but I do remember one time a while back, Dude saying that it was either £70 or £700 (can't quite remember which, but I've got a nasty feeling it was the latter) per LITRE, but apparently you dont need that much of it.

44 litres is a hell of an amount of paint to put on a car, FFS when I was painting old bangers to stick in the auctions, you could get around them with 1 litre of Gypfast :D

No digs at anyone, but as I was discussing paint quantities recently with the guy who sprayed mine...

Aston Martin used to be particularly proud of putting 21 coats of paint on their cars back in the day. But apart from being an appaling amount of paint, it was almost necessary because the paints were crap decades ago.

New paints don't need many applications - I've had a generous 5 coats of decent Sikkens flat black on mine, but (as Dude will probably confirm) you don't need that much usually. I don't know how much extra goes on with priming and gloss, but I would guess a total of 10 would be a lot... usually.

From what I gather, most manufacturers don't put that much on. It's not necessary with modern paints.

Ahh well. I'll wait for another comment from Jake. ;)

Originally posted by TDRAPER

It needs a good t-cut,

Personally, I wouldn't use T Cut on a black (especially) car with modern paint, Tom. The ammonia in it tends to give a milky appearance to the paint. Get yourself some Farecla G3 compound and mop it over with that. Done carefully it should come up a treat, but be especially careful on the edges otherwise you'll take all the laquer and paint off down to the primer (or worse, the metal).

I'm not 100% sure that Supras were painted in 2 coat (base and lacquer) in straight colours, if so you'll only be polishing the lacquer anyway, so take it easy.

One of the paint guys on here (Dude or Lovatt) should be able to tell you

Originally posted by SupraWoman

they worked hard and I dont really appreciate you guys having a go at me. The flick paint was applyed - and it took about 44 litres (about 4.5 - 5 gallons I guess) of paint to do so many coats and have the effect it has now. And I guess the flick has different structure than normal paint. (Thank u Supragal for logical thinking :-)

But in the end of the day - thats ur opinion, and Im the one who's got the facts.

:cool:

as i said i wasnt having a go just trying to point out some information i know, did you stand and count the coats as they were applied ? just trying to help you from looking silly,

the most i can see going on a car is

1 x etch primer

3 x 2pac primer

1 x wet on wet primer

4 x base colour coat

4 x flake coat

2 x tinted laquer

2 x clear coat

and those are excessive amounts

as you say though you have the "facts" im only a grade 1 insurance approved paint technician and am qualified for paint warrantee work for ford, vauxhall, aston martin, marcedes, subaru and shortly ferrari, also have qualifications for glazurit, spies hecker, ici aqua base, nexia auto colour, house of kolor and ppg ;)

i wouldnt recomend g3 for a black car unless you have some experience with a mop, if you can get 3M finness it that would be better or i hear good things of the stuff terminator sells

Mr Lovatt - I'll show ur post to my paint guy to get his comments. So I'll let u know then.

In the meantime - when r u going to reply to my PM regarding Toyota sign with horns on it?

Cheers!

:-)

Originally posted by lovatt

as i said i wasnt having a go just trying to point out some information i know, did you stand and count the coats as they were applied ? just trying to help you from looking silly,

the most i can see going on a car is

1 x etch primer

3 x 2pac primer

1 x wet on wet primer

4 x base colour coat

4 x flake coat

2 x tinted laquer

2 x clear coat

and those are excessive amounts

as you say though you have the "facts" im only a grade 1 insurance approved paint technician and am qualified for paint warrantee work for ford, vauxhall, aston martin, marcedes, subaru and shortly ferrari, also have qualifications for glazurit, spies hecker, ici aqua base, nexia auto colour, house of kolor and ppg ;)

i wouldnt recomend g3 for a black car unless you have some experience with a mop, if you can get 3M finness it that would be better or i hear good things of the stuff terminator sells