The mkiv Supra Owners Club

write off

sw4mpthing

thanks. I had a good look at it tonight got the bonet open it was just the cable that was the problem. The landing panel is fine. The side wings need straightend or pushed in, it needs a bumper I have a vielside bumper lying in my garage already sprayed and I need 2 new headlights. theres really nothing wrong with it. when I get the bumper put on they can straighten my wings and I'll buy lights.

If that's all the damage there is, then I would not accept them writing it off, speak to your insurance and tell them so, and also tell them that the estimate for repairs given is over inflated. I would be interested to see pics of the car to see what warrants nearly £4000 in repairs!

As others have said, a 'Cat D' write off would be very hard to sell on, so Buying it back and repairing it would not be (IMO) the best option.

Insurance told me my aerotop TT was a write off for a hole in my door and a scraped wing when a van reversed into it once. I was confidently told by the bird from the insurance that it was a ten year old toyota when I questioned why it was being written off. She soon changed her tune when I told her it had an agreed value of £14k. Some of them just don't check. In regards to repair costs that small repair came in at nearly £1500 for a wing a door a mirror and the spray work at an insurance approved repairer. I priced up a door at £90, mirror at £50, and a wing new at £90 from the forum and spraying would have been no more than £300 if I found the place myself. Insurance is just a huge scam.

Iirc insurance companies write cars off when the repair cost exceeds 60% of the cars market value. Given that InsCos take the piss with market values it's easy to see why they wrote this car off.

It'd be cheaper in the long run to cancel/withdraw the claim and pay out of your own pocket to repair the car (this is a 'if I knew then, what I know now' when a van cut up my 306).

It'd be cheaper in the long run to cancel/withdraw the claim and pay out of your own pocket to repair the car.

Hmmmm.

So if, say, the insurance company offered you £5k for the write off, you buy it back for about £2k and spend £1k on the repairs.

You're now £2k down. With the car on a Cat D, it's probably worth about £2k less, and future insurance premiums are going to be higher.

Yep - sums come up negative. :(

What if you're not planning to sell it on? If you keep the car and drive it to it's deathbed (or to another write-off!). Doesn't that negate the £2k reduction in value, and therefore make write-off/buy back a viable option?

Hmmmm.

So if, say, the insurance company offered you £5k for the write off, you buy it back for about £2k and spend £1k on the repairs.

You're now £2k down. With the car on a Cat D, it's probably worth about £2k less, and future insurance premiums are going to be higher.

What if you're not planning to sell it on? If you keep the car and drive it to it's deathbed (or to another write-off!). Doesn't that negate the £2k reduction in value, and therefore make write-off/buy back a viable option?

What Gaz meant was forget trying to get it done through insurance, which means it would not be a write off in their eyes, as it's only deemed to be a write off due to the stupidly high quote they received from the repairers. And then repair it out of the guys own pocket.

Hmmmm.

I was forced off the road by a van in 2001, £2000 damage. The van did a runner and I claimed on my insurance. I still have to declare that accident when taking out insurance and I've easily paid back that £2k in premiums in the last five years. Had I known then how much that claim would have inflated my premiums I wouldn't have claimed and found another way to pay for the damage.

thanks for the feed back its been great. Ollie from Sky sent me a msg through this site and I have replied to him so I hope he can help me out and tell me the best thing to do. I will let you all know how I get on.

Im not letting this car go! Ive still to come to me first meet!!

I was watching some tele this afternoon and the Dom bloke was on doing up a 106 Cat D write off... Apparently you can get an inspection (presumably something like a SVA test) which will verify that the vehicle has been repaired to a suitable standard, although the vehicle will never be 100% this can return some of the value of the vehicle and it will be recorded as satisfactorily repaired so not as a write off.

Might be worth looking into.

Mike

just took they pics tonight. I even have a vielside bumper sprayed just ready to fit. But need to wait and see what this guys report says. Mine is a cat D write off. Ive had a letter from salvage saying they will contact me within 5 days to arrange collection. Ive to have it ready for the driver and leave any cd player/face in the car with any locking nuts...... That'll be right!! It's going no where.

Oh my god, from those pics that is nothing! I really can't beleive that it's been written off because of that. I would say that would cost around £1600 - £1700 quid for repairs, that's with new parts from Toyota, using second hand parts you could be talking around £1000 -£1100 (as you already have a bumper.)

Take a look at the following link about my car;

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=121867

I was hit by someone else and am having to pay for the repairs myself, and by the looks of your photo's yours is not as bad as mine. I pick mine up in a few days and the total cost is going to be around £1550 (that is with second hand parts) 70% of that is the body shops cost.

yeah yours is well worse. Got a second engineer out on monday and got a phone call from the coachworks today. Thety came and picked it up and its getting fixed!!! Woohoo Im soooo happy. Ive got to pay my £750 excess tho. Should have it back within 2weeks. Might get to my 1st meet yet! thanks for all your help guys.

Willie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CoolsBlue

what the hell?! write of? the slam panels dont even creased...are the chasis legs out? do you know, you could do it back up, new bumper support bar which ar cheap, reinforcement bar which are dead cheap, new bumper, headlights and front wings! could do it for less that a grand i bet