The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

newage

Kinda depends on how good a driver you are, how good your timing is...etc. Essentially for the manual to beat the auto I think everyone will agree you have to be pretty much PERFECT on takeoff and shifting, which is damned tricky.

Not that I own a supra :D

Personally I'd go manual, I've not driven either, but I've been in both, and I intensely dislike the way it drops you down in an auto, the engine noise of an auto and not being able to select what gear you drop into, or if you want to drop up for cruising so you use less fuel.

Personal opinion...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i now prefer the auto box two hands on the wheel when cornering at 100 seems to feel safer and more in control than one.

You mean if you're driving a manual you'd be changing gear going round a corner at 100mph?

errr..... yeah..... Auto driver's obviously know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Personally I'd go manual, I've not driven either, but I've been in both, and I intensely dislike the way it drops you down in an auto, the engine noise of an auto and not being able to select what gear you drop into, or if you want to drop up for cruising so you use less fuel.

Personal opinion...

You see, now I kind of disagree with this statement. The box doesn't just randomly "drop down" the box is clever and selects the most appropriate gear in relation to throttle position, engine loads and a whole load of other factors that Mr T spent millions on when developing the car. When you bear in mind that this car is now knocking on for nearly 15 years, the gerabox really was kind of lightyears ahead of anything else at the time in terms of refinements and operation.

Just to clarify it for you, the box changes gear beacuse the driver asks it to in relation to how hard he presses the throttle pedal. And if you acheive kickdown midcorner,then you are doing it all wrong.

Stick it in D and the car is a great cruiser. Use manu mode for those A & B road blasts and then you can select whatever gear you want. ;)

I don't fancy an old boy's chances in a BPU'd Auto, but undeniably a 6sp manual is the true drivers choice.:)

does that mean that most of the worlds auto drivers are not true drivers:p

I've bought an Auto as it ticked more boxes for me at time of purchase than a manual and was only slightly cheaper at that time. Was also really impressed by how good the auto box was on the TT.

My TT Auto BPU runs 12.8 1/4miles all day long :p, i'm just now lookin at bettering that without going Single, as i believe a manual 6sp is the best way to get the most outta a big power laggy big single set-up.

What i was meant before was, if you plan to "drive" the car in a manner that requires total control on maintaining peak power and rpm when required i.e. on a twisty track circuit for instance then having 6 manually operated gears is the best way to achieve that.

For just generally driving on public highways and the occasional hoon around there's nothing wrong with an Auto!

My fav advantage of the Auto is what happens when you get caught in a nasty traffic cue, it's almost pleasurable! Really unfortunate for your clutch control, if you've got an uprated clutch on your manual, which you'd probably have running a large single set-up. The only thing that then remains an an annoyance, manual or Auto, is watching your fuel go to waste! :)

personally i now prefer the auto box two hands on the wheel when cornering at 100 seems to feel safer and more in control than one ,but maybe thats me..)

You could still have both hands on the wheel when cornering at 100 in a manual dude, and your more likely to be in the right gear/rpm as you enter it it too!

Plus there's no need to worry bout any mid-bend gear changes that might upset your mid-bend cornering in general. Though having the "Manual" function on the Auto stops that being too much of an issue.

For me personally, the 4-long gears instead of 6-short ones is a bit too large a jump between gears, a 5sp Auto would have been almost perfect compromise.

You see, now I kind of disagree with this statement. The box doesn't just randomly "drop down" the box is clever and selects the most appropriate gear in relation to throttle position, engine loads and a whole load of other factors that Mr T spent millions on when developing the car. When you bear in mind that this car is now knocking on for nearly 15 years, the gerabox really was kind of lightyears ahead of anything else at the time in terms of refinements and operation.

Just to clarify it for you, the box changes gear beacuse the driver asks it to in relation to how hard he presses the throttle pedal. And if you acheive kickdown midcorner,then you are doing it all wrong.

Stick it in D and the car is a great cruiser. Use manu mode for those A & B road blasts and then you can select whatever gear you want. ;)

Tell me where in that I said 'randomly' ;) I didn't, its a predictable box and if you're driving right, as you said, you know where and when it drops down. I personally just hate not having control of it all... Thats by biggest reason, and I realise thats 100% personal taste, I just cant stand not being able to do it myself. And say what you like about the manual selection on the auto, its just never going to be quite the same.

Guest leeshell

My Soop's an Auto. Initially I thought it would make me a lazy driver and I'd have less total control. But over the past year I have been really pleased with the Auto box - it is a pleasure to drive in traffic and I can light a fag when joining the motorway overtaking a lorry which is doing 30mph up the slip road.

Anyhows, I do wonder if there is more delay with an Auto when I kick it down a couple of gears than if I had a manual.

Also I do miss having the ability to use my gears in corners i.e. keeping max traction - but I'm certainly no driving-god.

I've also heard there is a limitation regarding BHP and Autos, maybe someone techy can clarify...:read:

Guest DaveWilko

haha the old auto/manual can'o'worms. Never fails to cause a kerfuffle. Love it! Personally I prefer manual but the auto is damn good. It just so happened that the pampered Uk car I wanted had an autobox and I don't regret going for it. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. All you can do is try both and count yourself lucky if you have a choice

• 1 month later...
You’ve got to ask yourself the question...

How many exotic sports cars, I’m talking Porsche, Ferrari, TVRs etc come with an auto box ?

Is there a reason for that or just pure co-incidence perhaps ???

Think you'll find a lot of exotic sports cars are an auto of some variant.

The new Ferarri is a paddle change auto, most Astons are the same along with FI cars etc etc

Long live the auto :D

sorry auto's are shite IMO
No they're not, they're fab. I love auto Supras. I've owned all three types and the only one I didn't really rate was the Tiptronic.

What makes you say they're shite? Have you owned one?

the manual gearbox from an auto owners point of view: -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=126081

Yeah but come on, that's Maz.

Guest Nicholas
No they're not, they're fab. I love auto Supras. I've owned all three types and the only one I didn't really rate was the Tiptronic.

What makes you say they're shite? Have you owned one?

Yeah but come on, that's Maz.

I've driven many an auto TT jake and also an auto single and they really don't do it for me hence the IMO at the end of my previous post.

If you like them though thats great.

Fair enough. I thought you might be one of those anti-auto bigots that had never actually driven one. My mistake.

To be fair, I didn't like the auto Single Supra I test drove once. I still think auto TT's are excellent cars, but like you said; horses for courses.

manual

I've driven both and I just could not live with an auto. Purely personal choice as I like to be in full control of the car's transmission of power to the wheels. But as many have said they prefer the effortless town driving that an auto provides.

Some say the auto can out perform a manual over the standing 1/4.... not in stock form. ;)

Modified then its purely whos put more money into the car as to which is faster.

I'll put my spoon and stirring pot away now ;)