The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

newage

sorry auto's are shite IMO

Please think of a new swear word, you've worn out shite.

How many exotic sports cars, I’m talking Porsche, Ferrari, TVRs etc come with an auto box ?

Aston Martin DB9 and Mercedes SLR Mclaren to name two. :) Seems to be more suited to big GT cars though (which the supra sort of is).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really easy to replicate the manual driving experience with an auto.

1. Drive along with your left hand resting (unnecessarily) on the selector.

2. When accelerating, simply lift the throttle every few seconds to emulate the gear change effect of a manual.

3. Occassionally 'forget' to move off from a junction. If you combine this with turning your engine off it'll make other car drivers think you have stalled. They won't give you a hard time though as you are obviously a driving god.

It's really easy to replicate the manual driving experience with an auto.

1. Drive along with your left hand resting (unnecessarily) on the selector.

2. When accelerating, simply lift the throttle every few seconds to emulate the gear change effect of a manual.

3. Occassionally 'forget' to move off from a junction. If you combine this with turning your engine off it'll make other car drivers think you have stalled. They won't give you a hard time though as you are obviously a driving god.

:D

Mines an auto and I love it. I never thought i would but i do. If ever get another supra I would be more than happy to have either:)

I love the auto.I wasn't really wanting to get an auto but im really happy with it.:)

Funny how many times this has been said, i think its a good indicator as to how good the box is. IMO many people get pleasure out of rowing a box & pumping a clutch to get the illusion of vastly more control & speed, but on a public highway is this actual realized.

Like I said, I think the biggest telling factor is the number of people who want to do Auto->Manual conversions.

How many people want to do Manual->Auto conversions?

Thought that was mainly to do with going single etc, the agricultural manual;) can handle all the extra power without modding.

Like I said, I think the biggest telling factor is the number of people who want to do Auto->Manual conversions.

How many people want to do Manual->Auto conversions?

*curses self for being drawn into this bo**ocks again.*

In most instances those people have / want single turbos, which no question are much better suited to a manual gearbox.

Manual conversions are a sort of necessity when you reach a level of tune - that doesn't make the manual gearbox better overall.

Your argument is like saying "look how many people are going from a SMIC to a FMIC, therefore FMICs must be better".

Right, that's another can of worms opened. :D

Another slant on this which is the one that miffs me is, people who just say i hate autos i like to be in control, without ever driving an auto, so no thought process involved, they fall in the same category as i.e.

1: I vote liberal like my Dad & Grandad ( They told me the other parties are bad)

2: I like manuals (cos all my mates do and everyone knows auto's are for olds)

3: I hate the Germans (because we fought them half a century ago???)

4: I believe in God (I was told it by my parents so & its in a book, it must be true)

....Aston Martin DB9 .....Seems to be more suited to big GT cars though (which the supra sort of is).

"The V12 develops 450bhp, but it’s the almost diesel-like pull from low revs that impresses most. The DB9 is now available with either a manual gearbox or a six-speed auto that also functions as a paddle-shift manual. This is not a success – it’s acceptable in auto mode at medium speeds, but press on harder and it changes gear too slowly."

-taken from Whatcar?

:innocent:

My cousins girlfriend drives a 190 bhp Starlet GT and doesn't even want to go for a spin in the Supra, simply because "it's an auto, it's not a real car". When people are that narrow minded, I don't even bother arguing. It's a lot of fun and I love it. Who cares what others think?