The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jehovahs witnesses

Pete

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another JW that worked with us allowed his son (who was also a JW) to have a kidney transplant which I can only assume would involve a blood transplant....it just shows they can bend the rules when it suits them.

It just shows that one JW can bend the rules if it suits him, not that it's necessarily a community wide thing. Or maybe they have relaxed their rulings on it recently?

On that subject, the young guy who worked with us never bought cakes for the office on his birthday but helped himself to cakes etc when others bought them for their birthdays and xmas etc...makes me laugh.

Personally I think bringing cakes in on your birthday is extremely gay, but I'm more than happy to exploit others who do it. So it's not necessarily a JW thing.

Theres more, i remember the guys in the office were discussing the issues in the middle east. He butts in and says it's ok cos soon they'll be a second coming and Jesus will sort everything out….as you can imagine there was total silence in the office followed by a roar of laughter. The thing that scares me is he was being deadly serious ! – how brain washed can you be!??!

I could carry on...

That's an interesting one. I would call brainwashing something like this: "strongly held beliefs that have arisen from exposure to a limited set of precepts and where questioning of those beliefs is actively discouraged or is not even on the agenda".

The UK is maybe the most secular society in the world. Atheism is now by far the most popular 'belief system' amongst parents, educators and the media. Religous figures are there as a safe target for mockery by all.

I suggest that (a) most people just accept atheism because that's what they've been taught (b) they never really question the issue seriously. To me that's every bit as brainwashed.

Cliff (a brainwashed atheist)

Yep, they were at my door last week too. I'm a bit of a Richard Dawkins fan so I though about having a go, but seriously if 'God' sends these people round to market himself...poor choice!

Amen!

That's ironic, because Dawkins is just the worst spokesman for the atheist camp. Some of the critical reaction for 'The God Delusion' came from atheists embarrassed by his hectoring, apopletic, almost evangelical tone; his misunderstanding of even basic theology; his nutty insistence that only his arguments are founded on 'logic' and so on.

He's a clever guy, but he should have stuck to popularising science. On religion, he's such a putz that I'm embarrased to be on the same 'side'.

Someone posted a link a year or two back to a page full of "facts" about JW's.

Akward things to ask them, like their version of heaven only has room for 44k people and it was filled long ago so why should I join.

ect ect.

Anyone know of that page?

just looked it up...

Afterlife

144,000 elect will reign in heaven and have spirit bodies. Other Witnesses will live forever on a restore paradise on earth. All others will be annihilated. Hell does not exist.

also what i found quite interesting...

Ethics

Divorce only in cases of adultery, no premarital sex, no homosexuality. No gambling or drinking to excess. Against abortion.

Practices

No blood transfusions, no celebration of non-JW holidays, no use of crosses or other religious images. Baptism of initiation, worship once per week, strong focus on evangelism.

Someone posted a link a year or two back to a page full of "facts" about JW's.

Akward things to ask them, like their version of heaven only has room for 44k people and it was filled long ago so why should I join.

Maybe if you're virtuous enough, you can displace one of 144K that's already 'won a place'. See, there's something to aim for.