The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should the death penalty be brought back?

CJ

I have just read this report on AOL:

"Two sick thugs kicked a man to death and then sneered down the phone at his wife: "Your husband won't be coming home."

Robin Chard, 47, was returning from a night out in Newcastle when he was attacked by Joseph Mee and Christopher Smith.

Mee, 27, bragged to friends how he posed like rugby star Jonny Wilkinson, with bent knees and clasped hands, before he kicked his victim's head like a ball.

He also told friends he had taunted Mrs Chard when she phoned her husband's mobile to find out where he was, telling her: "Your husband won't be coming home."

The pair then went to Smith's house and listened to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, constantly replaying the line: "Mama, just killed a man."

The killers are now facing life in jail after admitting to the murder. They changed their plea to guilty after being presented with evidence from CCTV pictures.

Detective Superintendent Steve Wade, who led the investigation, said after the case was adjourned for reports: "These are evil and dangerous men for whom life sentences should mean life.

"They used a sickeningly excessive amount of violence against a stranger walking home after a night out.

"It could have been anyone. They targeted him because he was smartly dressed and using his mobile phone."

Judge John Milford told the pair, who between them have 67 earlier convictions: "The only sentence I can pass and will pass is life imprisonment."

Mee and Smith will be sentenced on December 22".

So, in cases like this should the death penalty be brought back?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That story is absolutely sickening. I don't understand how human beings can behave that way. The death penalty is a very subjective issue, but I think it could be appropriate in cases where there is absolutely no doubt of the intention to kill or cause considerable harm.

And Peter Hain (minister for something useless) was on the radio yesterday bragging about how much safer we are under a labour government...:conf:

There was a similar case not far from where I live where a lad was attacked by three yobs and left for dead. They only wanted his mobile and when friends phoned to find out where he was they also bragged about what they had done.

I'm a pretty tollerant person but I cannot understand the mentality of people like that. In cases like this I think stoning should be bought back in. Totally sickening these people.

Originally posted by Wez

Sod the death penalty wouldn`t it better to make them concious cabbages that are used for testing different viruses.

Sounds good to me. Will never happen because of human rights and all that, but I think there should be a get out clause where someone who acts in such a inhumane fashion is classed as not being human and therefore the act doesn't count.

I dont support the death penalty either the act of killing people is wrong, however it does want to make me change my mind when I hear how evil some people can be...Life in Prison should mean life and they should be subjected to hard labour, prisons these days are like Holiday Inns...and we have to pay to keep those little shits alive.......hope they get gang banged every night.

Originally posted by mawby

Sounds good to me. Will never happen because of human rights and all that, but I think there should be a get out clause where someone who acts in such a inhumane fashion is classed as not being human and therefore the act doesn't count.

Surely not? Human rights are inalienable I thought - they can't be taken away.

The crime is vile beyond belief and if exceptions could be made to the death penalty law then these two would be prime candidates. But exceptions can't be made - that's the basis for our system.

As for changing the law: at the moment, in other areas, there's too much legislation changing because of specific incidents e.g. tragic accident means whole bunch of restrictive new laws for everyone else.

Originally posted by Sakura

And Peter Hain (minister for something useless) was on the radio yesterday bragging about how much safer we are under a labour government...:conf:

So because of one extreme example you're gonna dismiss the falling crime stats :conf:

You always get sickos like this, and shooting them sounds like the best idea, but if you're unlucky enough to be in the position charged with something you had nothing to do with and were executed, well there is no coming back from that.

Its just not required anymore, our criminal justice system is in no way as good as some may like to think it is.

Originally posted by Bobbeh

So because of one extreme example you're gonna dismiss the falling crime stats :conf:

Ever heard of the adage, "there are lies, damn lies and statistics"?

How often have we seen governments (all sides) in the past manipulate figures to suit? It has been done with unemployment levels, school exams etc. So do you really believe the crime figures given now?

Originally posted by CJ

How often have we seen governments (all sides) in the past manipulate figures to suit? It has been done with unemployment levels, school exams etc. So do you really believe the crime figures given now?

agreed, a few months ago i was reading in the paper that crime statistics were down....what it highlighted though was that these statistics did not include things like sex attacks, assaults or car crime or something daft!!

It was actually that violent crime is 13% higher. The way that crimes are reported has resulted in a "reduction" in crime overall, but it is really a manipulation of the figures.

Originally posted by CJ

Of course governments have always put a spin on them, but this has never changed, its only recently they've been opened up to include MORE stats than they used to, especially regarding employment.

sod the politics, the little bar stuards deserve to be exhausted through a 3 inch tailpipe, after being sucked through an intercooler and internally combusted!:flame Dev

Originally posted by marica

sod the politics, the little bar stuards deserve to be exhausted through a 3 inch tailpipe, after being sucked through an intercooler and internally combusted!:flame Dev

Nice idea! :thumbs:

I have an eye-for-eye attitude. Having the death penalty ? Well, some say that 2 wrongs do not make a right. I don't agree.

Furthermore - those unhinged pyschotic pieces of grabastic amphibian shits .. are still a danger to people whether they are in prison or released into society.

I went to Saudi in 1998 for a month and there is very little crime. You speed on the highway - you get publically flogged or prison. You steal - you lose you're hands. Rape - you lose you're clusters or dick. Murder - nuff said.

Though not suggesting we adopt that judicial system but it's almost as if crimes such as murder, child abuse, sex attacks etc are not dealt severely enough.

Imo - anybody who messes with kids ... hang the sick, deranged nonces. Murder with 100% proof - death-row. Rape - get used to living as a Eunuch.

In a newspaper today I read, a 37year old guy knocked over a 12yr old girl -hit&run- no insurance, nothing. The girl made a full recovery after 5 days - but apparenty was near death. According to the paper ... the Wimbledon magistrate deemed 6month ban & £1000 fine ...Wtf ?!?

If any of us are stopped doing over a ton ... we loose our license for 12 months and face a harsher fine ?!?

UK justice makes me physically ill!

Things like this are beyond belief. How any other human can do this to another is something I will never understand.

My initial knee jerk reaction is to want all the worst possible things we can imagine to be done to them repeatedly so that they stay just alive and in total agony, screaming and begging for mercy for ever.

But this is never going to happen. The best we can hope for is the judge does sentence them to life with out remission. Then hope that some much larger inmates share our disgust and are give free reign by guards to make their stay exceeding unpredictable and uncomfortable, the same prison treatment often given to sex and child crime offenders.

From what I have heard from mates who have served sentences, a holiday camp it not what they described. Living in constant fear 24/7 without a break can be a life changing experience.

As for the death penalty, far too many innocent went to their deaths only later to be proved innocent. I doubt any of us could possibly comprehend how those poor individuals must have felt as it became obvious that the legal system had let them down and society exacted its revenge for the crime they did not commit and their worst nightmare came true. I would rather have killers kept lock up just to ensure no one else is wrongly convicted.

People like this are a disgrace.:(

I'm not decided about the death penalty but I do know our justice system is a joke. Criminals just aren't scared of committing crimes because they know they will probably get away with it and if they get caught they will just get off with a warning or community service.

The fact they had 67 other convictions between them just shows their previous sentences weren’t enough.

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

I went to Saudi in 1998 for a month and there is very little crime. You speed on the highway - you get publically flogged or prison. You steal - you lose you're hands. Rape - you lose you're clusters or dick. Murder - nuff said.

Though not suggesting we adopt that judicial system but it's almost as if crimes such as murder, child abuse, sex attacks etc are not dealt severely enough.

Saudi is an interesting example. On the one hand, as you say, there's very little crime, but on the other Saudi has an international reputation as a secretive, corrupt, abusive judicial system.

Westerners and the rich tend to get off lightly, but even so, there are many cases of detention without charge, 'confessions' being tortured out of suspects, withdrawal of rights such as contacting family and so on.

I know you're not advocating the Saudi system, just a harsher UK one - but 'harsh justice systems' and repressive, brutal regimes often go hand in hand.

If you live in a country that fails to provide human rights for everyone - including scum - then you'd better watch out. The same rules that protect the scum, protect you. They mean that if you are wrongly arrested for something, or that the government decides something is suddenly a terrible crime, there's a limit on the harm that can be done to you.