The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP!!! Have left car stranded!

BASHTHEBISHOP

look here for a frontal picture of a TT engine

The tensioner for the fan/aux belt is the part that has a metal (sometimes plastic) pulley (on the righthand side of the pic) on a arm (at approx 5 o'clock). If you look closely the centre of the pulley has a 14mm bolt. If you can get a spanner on this as close to horizontal as possible and then push down (you'll need some force) it should move..........this is how you would normally remove the fan/aux belt.

Sounds like the crank damper bonding has failed, and the belts now on the inner hub, not on the ribbed outer mass ring. the ring may be still around under the bonnet, on the undertray, if that is indeed what's happened. the belts loose as there is now too short a run for the tensioner to work, as one pulley is now effectively a much smaller diameter. That's my take anyway, Watson, the needle please.

Sounds to me like either your power steering pump has seezed causing the belt to squeal and reduced the turning rate of the belt...hence less turning of the water pump pulley causing the overheat.

Other reason (and probably more likely) is belt tensioner has letgo and so the belt is loose...again reducing the turning of waterpump + powersteering pulley. Not a hard job really mate. Have to pull the upper cambelt cover off and the middle one maybe the middle 2). Then its a case of removing the belt tensioner and replacing with a new one. PUT A NEW BELT ON TOO!

Dont drive it too far if atall as overheating is a big problem and a dry stearing rack is not what you want...£££

Hope you get it sorted mate. Keep us informed!

From what you say something has caused the water pump to stop running.

It sounds very much like the crank damper has failed (as Chris said), though as others have said it could also be a seized water pump or PAS pump. Did you notice the steering go heavy at any point? Did you notice if the water temp gauge was reading higher than normal?

Either way, it'll need a tow truck. If the crank damper has gone, it might allow you to restart once it's cooled down and the rubber temporarily bonded again, but it will not last very long at all!

From what you say something has caused the water pump to stop running.

It sounds very much like the crank damper has failed (as Chris said), though as others have said it could also be a seized water pump or PAS pump. Did you notice the steering go heavy at any point? Did you notice if the water temp gauge was reading higher than normal?

Either way, it'll need a tow truck. If the crank damper has gone, it might allow you to restart once it's cooled down and the rubber temporarily bonded again, but it will not last very long at all!

Temperature guage did not move from normal.

The power steering is not working but thats cos the belts not moving as its too loose....so no alternator , aircon, pas, waterpump etc

Is the crank damper the same thing as the crank pulley? Just the wheel on the end? If so this was replaced little miles ago:rolleyes:

as the centre piece had seperated from the outer.

If this is the case is there something on the car causing the crank dampers to constantly fail? or did i just have a crap replacement fitted???

Is the crank damper the same thing as the crank pulley?

Just the wheel on the end? YES

If this is the case is there something on the car causing the crank dampers to constantly fail? or did i just have a crap replacement fitted??? Sounds like a crap replacement if thats the case, however i ruled this out as the cause being that it was recently replaced. (I assumed with a new/low mileage one).

The easiest and cheapest option is to just change the fan belt and see if its just that - Process of elimination ;) sounds like it is as its the auxillary belt that drives several of your systems. Steve Manley 01865 291333 at toyota got me one for a few quid and should be able to mail it to you within a couple of days -

Its just a 10 minute job to change btw, just need a 14mm ratchet and some elbow grease on the tensioner to push it down, a spare pair of hands to help get the belt over the pulleys and fan and your there :)

Hope its not the pretensioner assembly but you can get that from Steve too. I have the part number if you need it.

Lx