The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this rubbish for the amount of boost

Supra ST Myster

See pic, im well dissapointed to be honest after the SSR day. :(

0.6bar on a single, think its a "t61", its on stock 440s and ECU and afrs are 10.9-11.0 on WOT Also car is an auto. These are at the wheels figures btw

Think the xspower turbos are a fair bit smaller than the 'Precision'

ones that most people know and use on here T61 T67 etc, so when you say T61 think this is more like Precisions T57. Stand to be corrected but I think xspowers T70 is asimilar size to a Precision T61. My T61 made 283 whp at just over half your 0.6bar boost

why would it blow if its low boost and afrs are not a problem?? nobody is answering that question for me.. and if its less than stock twins again where is the harm?
I suppose it won't suddenly blow-up if you continue running it at very low boost all the time

but what's the point of a single if you're making less power than stock/BPU?

It must surely run like crap off boost and the Ign timing, fuelling etc is going to be all over the place around the stocker's transition point.

OK so you've gotten away with it by running next-to-no boost but I wouldn't want anyone reading this to think that it's really a viable way to go.

Question: At 1.4 bar - that XS power turbo be delivering similar power/just abit more to a decatted pair of stockers running 1.2 bar ?

why would that be the case? is it all down to a crap turbo then, so can we say if i was to take this off and fit a BLt61 i would be producing more power but the afrs ects may be bad because of the more power the turbo is producing?

I suppose it won't suddenly blow-up if you continue running it at very low boost all the time

It must surely run like crap off boost and the Ign timing, fuelling etc is going to be all over the place around the stocker's transition point.

OK so you've gotten away with it by running next-to-no boost. I wouldn't want anyone reading this to think that it's really a viable way to go.

As CW has said, some sort of mappable unit is required...

The stock ECU has tolerances to a point, and you must be pushing them WAY past the limit. I would fit something like an emanage or even a megasquirter to control the ignition and fueling even if everything is stock. The ignition would be all over the place expecting transition and seeing boost early on. Play it safe and sort out the fueling/igntion first before pushing anything any further (This is all just IMHO)

whats the inducer? sorry not very good when it comes to turbos

This is the best I could do from saved pics. The compressor inducer is the distance between the two blue marks on the attached pic. (The aweful T04B XS power turbo is on the right of the pic)

inducer.jpg

The stock ECU has tolerances to a point, and you must be pushing them WAY past the limit. I would fit something like an emanage or even a megasquirter to control the ignition and fueling even if everything is stock. The ignition would be all over the place expecting transition and seeing boost early on. Play it safe and sort out the fueling/igntion first before pushing anything any further (This is all just IMHO)

:yeahthat:

OK so you've gotten away with it by running next-to-no boost. I wouldn't want anyone reading this to think that it's really a viable way to go.

no dont get me wrong, im only running low boost because of the stock fuel side, as know if i up it i will start damaging things, i just havnt got around to changing the fueling side of things, which is why its kept at such low boost, my point was it "feels fast" but surprised its 272, maybe it feels fast because of all the noise it makes, for a bit of comparsion i had a race with the new civic type R and beat it when we got over around 70leptons, below that it was dead even i reckon..

if i was to take this off and fit a BLt61 i would be producing more power but the afrs ects may be bad because of the more power the turbo is producing?

If I were you Emin, I'd junk that turbo. By the time, you get you're car running & mapped (fuel & timing) - you maybe disappointed to find that you're making similar or less power to a BPU car. Bromy's post summed it up. He was dynoed at 0.3 of a bar and made slighly more power.

What made you buy that turbo ?

Go for a T61 DBB with some 650 injectors & as Gav said an EM or EMU.

Maybe it feels faster at lower boost than TT because of the way Singles spool, especially if its a small one.

Sort of a placebo effect!

Ill talk it all over with you in the pub if you like :)

sounds like a plan!!

that is my next step though is to get 650s and a Emanage, maybe best to change the turbo then! went for that as needed something to get me on my way, then it felt ok so kept it on..

For a comparison Emin, mine (which is an auto) was dyno'd at SRR when it had both cats in place and made 262bhp at the wheels. It's now fully decatted and running 1bar at present (1.1bar in cooler air) and I would suspect it's making a bit more now.

Fair play to you though mate, you fitted it all on your own, just get your fuelling and management sorted out and take it from there.

why would it blow if its low boost and afrs are not a problem?? nobody is answering that question for me.. and if its less than stock twins again where is the harm?

Just for info on this bit - the stock setup expects a sequential transition effect between 3500 and 4100rpm. It also expects one small turbo running close to its maximum efficiency before 4000rpm.

To maximise economy, Toyota mapped the first turbo to run, when on it's full boost of about 0.7bar, around 13:1 AFRs. This is rather lean from what we know of but, with some pulled ignition timing and the fact it's at low revs, it works fine. Even though the intake charge is quite hot because of one small turbo caning away.

Trouble is, you bung a big single on (or even run in parallel mode) and suddenly you have a far more efficient system. That means a much denser, cooler air charge. If you don't alter the fuelling, it leans off because of more oxygen at the same boost pressure. This can bring on detonation, although at 0.6bar you might be getting away with it.

You will also experience all sorts of trouble around the transition point where the fuelling and ignition timing does some interesting things. T61s tend to need some timing pulling at this point as well as ensuring a rich mix, as they are on song hard and fast, no idea what one of these turbos will be like, but at 0.6bar hopefuly nothing too bad.

Once you are past this point the stock ECU is expecting both turbos and is also bunging in buckets of fuel, so yes, at this point it is safer running lower boost and less power than stock. It's the old first-turbo area that will be problematic.

-Ian

Emin,

Just caught this.

I think you need to get your fuelling and management sorted. Once done you can then crank the boost up and start to make use of that turbo.

That said, I made 350bhp on slightly less boost and lower AFR's. (Well into the 10's) I imagine that's down to the mapping though, as pretty much everything else would be a stock comparison.

If I were you, I would sort myself out with some 650cc injectors and have a chat with either Ian with regards to getting a EMB/EMU or Ryan G about getting a Link ECU.