The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A warning for anyone using XS Power supplied fuel hose

Homer

XS Power / Autopia / SSAutochrome / Whoever have a standard reply for defective parts - they acknowledge your problem, they say they have changed suppliers anyway / improved the design or blame you for using the part incorrectly. In this case they will probably say the octane is too high but that they have new parts now anyway - they send you one, it lasts the same amount of time but it gets you out of their hair for a while...

They probably supply for "off road use only" or something daft like that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you saftery feature i take it when you say removed do you mean for the 12v permanent mod

If the 12volt mod isn't done correctly then the pumps will run all the time, if that had happened last night the car would have gone up for sure.

Try the test I mentioned earlier and see if your pumps are running, if so I wouldn't be too happy driving the car!

Darryl, I think and exmail to XS Power immediately with your findings, and perhaps a chat with trading standards. If they are a UK based compnay, then surely that fuel hose that they supply must conform to either a BSI or European standard, and if it doesn't comply then there's a serious issue right there.

Yours may, however, been part of a faulty batch that got through quality control (if they have any) but I would suggest to anyone that uses the same product to get theirs checked immediately and replace if required.

Imagine if you had had the 12v pump mod done. :blink: :eek:

Fair points Doug. I'll put together an email tonight and send it to XS Power, though I share Michaels scepticism on their reply (if there is one at all).

The kit is not offcially sold in the UK as far as I'm aware, the seller on eBay is US based and all kit is sent direct from there.

On none of the kit from XS were there any standards marks, none of the hoses in the kit any any markings/stamps of any kind.

They probably supply for "off road use only" or something daft like that.

you've caught the drift;)

People look at the bling outside and think that it must be good since it's braided externally.

Of course on cheap parts the braiding is there to hide the poor quality on the inside. Even from motorfactors, buying thick fuel hose isn't cheap at all, it has internal braiding and special rubber of course. But no bling.

I'm glad Homer is unhurt, a few seconds delay and this could have ended up differently:blink:

The kit is not offcially sold in the UK as far as I'm aware, the seller on eBay is US based and all kit is sent direct from there.

On none of the kit from XS were there any standards marks, none of the hoses in the kit any any markings/stamps of any kind.

I don't think the Mongolian caves that there stuff is made in feature any form of QA or safety standards/markings! :D

Gaz.

There's nothing special about the elastomer used for petrol hoses. It's usually a standard grade of nitrile (aka buna) or viton which both have excellent chemical compatibility with petrol. Trouble arise when it's an incompatible elastomer like natural rubber or EPDM or silicon. To the untrained eye you wouldn't be able to tell the difference and with braiding you've got no chance. Stuff like teflon is just about the most chemically resistant material there is for most day to day chemicals.

Its not been on your car long has it? To show those signs of wear! I mean i have seen petrol lines gone like that on a 70's mini but the car was 25 years or so old (at the time)

Good point and I forgot to mention this in the original post. It was fitted brand new in Dec 06, but the car has done only 3-4k miles since then. The original fuel lines on the car which are 14 years old still look near new (and have no signs of hardening/cracks).

And related to your other comment....when are you coming around this way again Homer??

Won't be long, PM'd ;) After the fixes yesterday an the remap tonight it's well and truly back to where it should be :) Just ask Ryan, he took it for a drive this evening and was a bit excited aferwards :D

And guess what my pumps run all the time what the fix for this darryl

Ouch. After my little episode it frightens me to think what could happen in the event of a fuel line split or an car accident.

Sorry, I know next to nothing about going about changing it. Someone like Matt Harwood or Pete Betts are the experts on these things (though I'm sure others here can advise).

Good point and I forgot to mention this in the original post. It was fitted brand new in Dec 06, but the car has done only 3-4k miles since then. The original fuel lines on the car which are 14 years old still look near new (and have no signs of hardening/cracks).

Won't be long, PM'd ;) After the fixes yesterday an the remap tonight it's well and truly back to where it should be :) Just ask Ryan, he took it for a drive this evening and was a bit excited aferwards :D

Ouch. After my little episode it frightens me to think what could happen in the event of a fuel line split or an car accident.

Sorry, I know next to nothing about going about changing it. Someone like Matt Harwood or Pete Betts are the experts on these things (though I'm sure others here can advise).

its being changed asap the whole fuel system is

Guest wanabe supra

very sorry to hear that Homer. you was very lucky.

The same for any braied hose really.

I dont trust them as you cannot see what is going on underneath(like you said) and we have had a few brake lines fail on us aswell on fccuk

So it should be a warning to all.

Was a shocker with regards the fuel line and pretty scary but glad we fund it tbh.

Had to show daryl how it felt in the passenger seat after....

He looked alittle nervous :D

Pulls sooo hard, just needs a set of higher ift cams now as you could see how restrictive the stock ones are after 6k and some sort of bonnet vents to get all the hot air out of the engine bay as the air temps get abit on the warm side after a while.

My gt4088 feels slow now :(

He looked alittle nervous :D

I was okay until you hit 120 on a short single track back lane ;) Just imagine how much quicker it'd be without 120kg of lard in the passenger seat :D

The mid range torque is just awesome now, 2nd to 4th (40-120) i'm now really pinned to the seat! It pulled like a train on the way back (though still had some det warnings flash up on hard 6th gear runs). Looking forward to Saturday and the dyno tune.

Homer glad to hear both you and ryan are both ok, that was a close one.

funny though just that evening we have a brief discussion about XS Power kit, i know one thing i'm not putting any of that shit on my car apart from the exhaust but that been chopped up and modified.

But one can only guess where they source their cheap parts from. They certainly won't be safety approved in any way. :(

No need to guess for some of the stuff, it's generally Motoria I believe:

http://www.motoria.co.kr

They seem to deal in the general "pipes and metal" stuff, I'm presuming they source the turbos and hoses etc from an equally happy budget supplier :)