The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best wet weather tyres

TRD-Rob

When I bought the car in February I used to have well worn Continentals on the back and I could lose the back end in the wet. I replaced them with a new set of Dunlop SP9000's about a month ago.

The difference is amazing. In the wet, the backend will not come out unless I really give it some welly....:)

Because I have some cheap shitty Sportiva's on the front and the rear end grip is so good in the wet, the car is actually understeering.......:D

Cost me £102.00 + Vat each too!!

H.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodyear Eagle F1s all the way. I've sworn by them for years and use them on all my road cars. I also won't let my family buy anything else.

Well set up suspension also helps.

Cheap tyres for winter is quite possibly the worst suggestion i've heard!! Yes they like to drift but hitting that curb and snapping some suspension components is a lot dearer than a set of F1's, especially when you buckle the wheel as well. If you want to learn to drift then a) do it off road, and b) do it in the dry. Anything else is asking for big bills and trouble.

bollocks

They have not lost the car due to crap tyres, it is because they have had the confidence to give it some in the wet,

Hence the reason to either put the sup off the raod through the bad spells of winter or never cane it in the wet....in which case cheapo tyres would do

But if you buy the expensive 'wet tyres' would you really trust yourself not to give it some in the wet?

I've had toyo's, goodyears, khumo's

The first two are better at the wet, but it only got me into more trouble as I took my car to its limits a lot more frequently due to 'believing' it was capable of more

Sad fact is the supra is not a wet car, unless you wanna drift in which case you expect the rear end to kick out.

Sad fact is the supra is not a wet car, unless you wanna drift in which case you expect the rear end to kick out.

so if it rains, Toyota intended you to keep the Supra in the garage then?

Is there a note in the manual to this effect? furthermore, did the Supra originally come fitted with budget tyres?

Answer : NO.

EDITED: to add, the answer is to fit the best you can but drive like you've fitted the worst ;)

bollocks

They have not lost the car due to crap tyres, it is because they have had the confidence to give it some in the wet,

Hence the reason to either put the sup off the raod through the bad spells of winter or never cane it in the wet....in which case cheapo tyres would do

But if you buy the expensive 'wet tyres' would you really trust yourself not to give it some in the wet?

I've had toyo's, goodyears, khumo's

The first two are better at the wet, but it only got me into more trouble as I took my car to its limits a lot more frequently due to 'believing' it was capable of more

You don't need confidence to lose the back end. Ice, oil, wet leaves, 2nd turbo surprise... they are all valid reasons to lose the back without expecting it. I'm sorry but on the road you need a car that is as good as you can make it and your only point of contact between the road and the car is an important factor.

The Supra can be a "wet" car, if driven properly. If you drive at WOT all the time on the road then best of luck mate ;)

so if it rains, Toyota intended you to keep the Supra in the garage then?

No, but I'm sure they never intended you to start tinkering with their creation either, or break the speed limit or e.t.c e.t.c;)

the answer is to fit the best you can but drive like you've fitted the worst

Couldnt be a truer phrase stated, however my idea would limit the choice of the user...

I don't understand the double negative you've used here. What is your point?

Unexpected things do happen sometimes. For this reason it's better to have decent tyres to minimise the risk. The car will handle better in a slide, grip better with the front wheels and is less likely to snap loose in the first place.

In my experience there are no 'wet' tyres for the supra, we have a lot of rain up here in 'bonny' Scotland meaning I get to experience the wet a lot, the plain and simple answer is to tread very carefully in the rain, to the point where it becomes a chore to drive or to not use it at all,

He had good tyres but hit a patch of oil and lost the back end.

What is your point here? Whether your unfortunate mate had good tyres or cheapo tyres, he would still have lost the back end, re-iterating my point, that no matter what kind of tyres you have, on a slidy surface, shelling out for more expensive tyres is not going to help you

Take this from someone that shells out 250quid a tyre at the rear, every 4000miles, because I like my negative camber

On the other hand, the dry is a completely different matter, and this is where the different tyre manufacturers come into their own

What is your point here? Whether your unfortunate mate had good tyres or cheapo tyres, he would still have lost the back end, re-iterating my point, that no matter what kind of tyres you have, on a slidy surface, shelling out for more expensive tyres is not going to help you

I edited my post as it wasn't clear what point I was making.

Decent tyres in the wet could mean the difference between being caught out and not. That is a given. I don't understand the rationale for you saying cheap tyres are best in winter.

Companies spend literally millions developing tread patterns for wet weather tyres and Goodyear F1's are right up with the best at dispersing water. That is why they have more contact with the road, less with the water and a higher coefficient of friction. In laymens terms: they grip better.

I don't understand the double negative you've used here. What is your point?

Unexpected things do happen sometimes. For this reason it's better to have decent tyres to minimise the risk. The car will handle better in a slide, grip better with the front wheels and is less likely to snap loose in the first place.

very true i think buying the best is always the way to go when i got my first supra it was a na and even that was all over the place when the snow hit one of the reasons is because i live in a village which is at the top of a hill so it very scary getting it to work in the morning and now i have a tt well lets just see what happens this time

Decent tyres in the wet could mean the difference between being caught out and not.

Thats a very good sales pitch, used by many, but not always true. In reality the difference between cheapo tyres in the wet when used in normal driving conditions is very little.

I always got for the same sizes, the difference in price for me is 150quid between the Khumo and the goodyear, the khumo was fine in the wet until you try ra*ing or even trying to keep up with the liners or evo's, trying to keep within the same area code is a difficulty in the wet!:D

so it very scary getting it to work in the morning and now i have a tt well lets just see what happens this time

I'd park it at the bottom, or pray:innocent:

Oh dear :rolleyes: So what about braking in an emergency? Or maintaining control when swerving to avoid an obstruction? These things are linked to tyre grip just as much as acceleration.

The supra can be a wet weather car, as long as it's driven and maintained by someone with a degree of common sense. Wet roads are more slippery than dry ones and require more self discipline - shocker.

Oh dear :rolleyes: So what about braking in an emergency? Or maintaining control when swerving to avoid an obstruction? These things are linked to tyre grip just as much as acceleration.

The supra can be a wet weather car, as long as it's driven and maintained by someone with a degree of common sense. Wet roads are more slippery than dry ones and require more self discipline - shocker.

Thats what i thought, surely driving in the wet has a massive ammount to do with the quality of tyres.

Thats a very good sales pitch, used by many, but not always true. In reality the difference between cheapo tyres in the wet when used in normal driving conditions is very little.

I'll tell the F1 guys to use their slicks/kuhmo/rubber bands on the next wet race then yeah? As thats the arguement you are using at the end of the day.

Not to mention that IIRC, wider tyres produce less downward pressure per inch on the road than thin ones, because the weight of the car is spread across a larger tyre area. I think this means that in the wet, you might get away with cheapo tyres on the skinny push-bike wheels on a Fiat uno, but on a car with 265 or larger rears, you're asking for trouble.

Scoboblio

I'm sorry, the supra does not apply to any of the theoretical applications you just mentioned.

Swerving in the wet???? In the supra, over 30-40mph nightmare!

If you were driving with common sense, why would you need the more expensive tyres?

"I'm sorry, the supra does not apply to any of the theoretical applications you just mentioned."

Eh? The supra doesn't apply to the laws of physics?

"Swerving in the wet???? In the supra, over 30-40mph nightmare!"

Eh again? Are you being sarcastic or do you actually mean that? Sort of hard to respond without clarity.

"If you were driving with common sense, why would you need the more expensive tyres?"

Because with good tyres, common sense means you can drive with confidence and at a normal speed to other road users.

I really don't see your argument..... you're saying that cheap tyres are the best in the wet, because they have less grip. That way you'll learn to not use the car's power, which wouldn't be a problem if you'd just bought decent tyres in the first place. Is that it?

I'll tell the F1 guys to use their slicks/kuhmo/rubber bands on the next wet race then yeah? As thats the arguement you are using at the end of the day.

Where did you conjure that up from?

Your point here is that these goodyear eagle F1's are the equivalent to wet tyres used by F1, in which case they must be better as F1 use two different types of tyre for performance gains.

So therefore you will achieve better performance with an eagle F1 in the wet, resulting in you driving it more to its limits than you would with the cheapo...and coincidently increasing your chances of a crash(not because you are using the more expensive tyres) but due to your personally believing that if I have spent an extra hundred per corner, I must be able to take this baby further....am I correct?

Ishould have been a lawyer;)

"I'm sorry, the supra does not apply to any of the theoretical applications you just mentioned."

Eh? The supra doesn't apply to the laws of physics?

"Swerving in the wet???? In the supra, over 30-40mph nightmare!"

Eh again? Are you being sarcastic or do you actually mean that? Sort of hard to respond without clarity.

"If you were driving with common sense, why would you need the more expensive tyres?"

Because with good tyres, common sense means you can drive with confidence and at a normal speed to other road users.

I really don't see your argument..... you're saying that cheap tyres are the best in the wet, because they have less grip. That way you'll learn to not use the car's power, which wouldn't be a problem if you'd just bought decent tyres in the first place. Is that it?

I think thats what he is getting at scoobolio, BUT at the start of the thread, noone even mentioned anything about pushing the car a certain ammount, they simply want to know what are the best tyres, they dont want an answer like "buy cheapo tyres and then you wont puch the car too much".

There is X amount of grip in the wet and Y amount of grip in the dry so your argument applies to dry as well, your argument is weather-agnostic because it's about grip levels at high cornering speeds. You are saying "give it grippy tyres and you are more likely to crash because you *will* drive like an idiot" and I'd like to think that doesn't apply to me at least, after 6 years of driving in all weathers and somehow staying on the road by not driving like a twat despite having certainly-not-cheap Pirellis on :blink:

Odd argument, yet you seem surprised people are giving you a kicking ;)

-Ian